VR600 v1 as access point roaming issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-31 15:19:36
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0057.0 Build 160614 Rel.41735n

Hi there,

I am looking for a bit of help here.

I am using a VR600 router as access point to extend the wifi coverage in the house. Since I am aiming for almost seamless roaming I am using teh same SSID on the primary and secondary routers.

The configuration is as follows.

The primary router connecting to the ISP is Virgin Media Superhub 3. This provides the DHCP server and I modified the IR range available for the server to 192.168.0.10 through to 192.168.0.100. The IP of the router is the default 192.168.0.1.

The primary router connects via cat 5 cable to an Archer VR600 router at the back of the house. The connection is LAN to LAN.

The secondary router IP address is set to 192.168.0.101 and the DHCP server is disabled. The wifi SSID and password are the same as in SH3. Security is the same (WPA2-PSK). I set the channels to 11 and 48 for 2.4 and 5G, respectively. The primary router uses Channel Optimization, but it seems to be using channels 6 and 44.

The extended network seems to work great in a static situation. I.e. the kit which is stationary doesn't seem to drop connection. But not so the mobile kit. When moving a mobile phone (tried iphone, samsung and redmi) between the areas covered by primary (SH3) router to the area covered by the VR600, the connection drops and takes long time to re-establish. The mobiles would usually say something along Can't get IP address etc, depending on the actual mobile.

Interestingly the connection only drops when moving from the area covered by the primary to the secondary router. In the opposite direction it all works seamlessly.

I have tried changing settings on the secondary router, but to no avail. Considering that the problem was with obtaining IP address by the mobile kit, I set a reserved MAC/IP list in the SH3 to include the mobile phones. Again, no improvement. I tried using 5G or 2.4G only. Tried disabling alder protocols leaving N and AC only. Again the same issue.

I suspect the VR600 is at fault here, but I can figure out wat is wrong.

Coudl anyone advise?

Any help will be much aprecciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:VR600 v1 as access point roaming issues
2021-08-31 17:21:04

@redmike5 

To be able to benefit from seamless roaming you'll need a mesh network.

These two devices can't form a mesh network between each other, hence the issue you experiencing - that's normal behavior between standalone wireless APs.

The seamless roaming can be achieved with either OneMesh or Deco solution.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-08-31 18:15:17

@terziyski Thanks for your response. The issue here is that roaming from the Archer to SH3 is almost immediate and the wifi is reacquired seamlessly. However, roaming from SH3 to the Archer causes the client to loose connection and it takes some 10 minutes to reacquire the wifi. In the meantime the phone displays message "Can't get IP address". If this happened both ways, it would be understandable, but it only happens when moving onto the Archers coverage. So I was wondering if there was a trick I was missing.

I considered a mesh system, but the extra coverage of 2-3 metres towards the back of the house is not really worth the work (and expense) required to have the nodes and power cables hidden out of view.

Options
2021-09-02 07:43:58

Hi there, I thought I would post an update. I spend another night or two trying various combinations of settings, but nothing helps. All in all, I decided that running the VR600 as AP was not an option. Hence, I run the VR600 as teh only wifi router in teh house, with SH3 as modem only. However, I couldn't see any noticeable increase of wifi signal strength, and I decided to retire the VR600 completely.

In the meantime, I've got my hands on an old N range access point and I set this up as range extender last night. With the limited testing I've done so far, signal strength is excellent and roaming is seamless. So far a success. Let's hope it all holds together. If it does, then I saved myself quite a bit of money and faf by not getting a mesh system. Of course speeds are limited, but this is not an issue for an occasional use by a mobile. All bandwidth hogging eqp is hardwired anyway.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 791

Replies: 3

Related Articles