Loses connection and web interface after 8 to 12 hours ... very frustrating

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-04-24 22:26:55
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-WR940N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : TL-WR940N_v1_120201

ISP :

Just bought a TL-WR940N and it was always loosing connection and freezing / locking up. I upgraded to the latest FW from the link below

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR940N&version=V1#tbl_j

but it still freezes and loses connection to devices after 8-12 hours, keeps hanging up and pages sometime don't load. Any ideas??

It is very frustrating?

thanks
Options
21 Reply
Re:Loses connection and web interface after 8 to 12 hours ... very frustrating
2013-04-24 23:51:11

sjabsheh wrote

Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-WR940N

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : TL-WR940N_v1_120201

ISP :

Just bought a TL-WR940N and it was always loosing connection and freezing / locking up. I upgraded to the latest FW from the link below

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR940N&version=V1#tbl_j

but it still freezes and loses connection to devices after 8-12 hours, keeps hanging up and pages sometime don't load. Any ideas??

It is very frustrating?

thanks

I am not really sure about the version you are talking about. Can you confirm you really use a TL-WR940N with a hardware version V2 ? If this is the case then you upgraded your wireless router with the wrong version as the latest release for a TL-WR940NV2 is from the 3/1/2013 and can be downloaded at :

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR940N&version=V2#tbl_j
Options
2013-04-24 23:58:57
I am sorry, you are correct I made a mistake, the router is V1 not V2. So the update is correct, I would also think the router would have prevented me from upgrading if the HW version was not correct - no?

thanks
Options
2013-04-25 00:57:26

sjabsheh wrote

I am sorry, you are correct I made a mistake, the router is V1 not V2. So the update is correct, I would also think the router would have prevented me from upgrading if the HW version was not correct - no?

thanks

Well I on the download web page it is clearly stated, therefore I would suggest to try upgrading again with the right firmware an see if it's getting better :

* Please verify the hardware version of your device for the firmware version. Wrong firmware upgrade may damage your device and void the warranty.
* Do NOT turn off the power during upgrade.
* Do NOT upgrade the firmware through wireless connection unless the device only has wireless connection;
* It's recommended that users stop all Internet applications on the computer, or simply disconnect Internet line from the device before upgrade.
* Use decompression software such as WinZIP or WinRAR to extract the file you download before upgrade.
Options
2013-04-25 20:56:15
I doubled checked again and it says at the bottom of the router V1.4 so I am assuming that is V1 not V2.

I downgraded the firmware from TL-WR940N_v1_120201 to TL-WR940N_v1_111228 - let us see how it works now. Would I need to move to TL-WR940N_v1_120201 to fix the PPTP/L2TP?

thanks
Options
2013-04-25 21:11:45
You are right ! V1.4 = V1 then you have the right version installed which is indeed : TL-WR940N_v1_120201

Normally you are not supposed to downgrade version as this is supposed to address the latest issues.

Eventually you need to check the PPTP WAN setting and adjust the setting accordingly (Connect on Demand, Connect Automatically or Connect Manually)

for more detail see the User Guide page 34 here: http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TL-WR940N_V1_UG_111228.pdf

Eventually you may have set the "Max Idle Time" to 30 mn ? If you set this timer to 0 then it would mean you connection will stay active all the time ..

If you still get an issue, then I would suggest you to proceed to a factory reset in System Tools -> Factory Defaults. You will loose all your setting and will need to reconfigure your router from scratch.
Options
2013-04-26 01:22:17
So basically just lost the whole router now, no signal. I will do a factory reset and upgrade again to TL-WR940N_v1_120201, but I am almost sure it is not going to work as that is what I did originally before posting on this forum.

Keep you posted ...
Options
2013-05-01 05:10:10
Much more stable, but I am only connecting half the devices needed to the wifi, and still every now and then I get Network Error 106, 101 or 109 - one of those. Shall I increase the Lease time from 120 to 3880? Any other ideas?
Options
2013-05-01 06:04:19

sjabsheh wrote

Much more stable, but I am only connecting half the devices needed to the wifi, and still every now and then I get Network Error 106, 101 or 109 - one of those. Shall I increase the Lease time from 120 to 3880? Any other ideas?

You can increase the lease duration in a scope to reduce network traffic. Increase the lease duration only if that segment of your network has a large number of IP addresses available and a configuration that rarely changes. Increasing lease duration reduces the rate at which IP addresses are reclaimed when changes occur.

In a more stable environment, you can use a long lease, such as 2880 minutes (48h). This ensures both that addresses are ultimately recovered, and that DHCP-related network traffic is kept to a minimum.
Options
2013-05-01 23:22:08
yes I have a fixed set of devices that go in and out. so probably 2880 might be the next step now. But I still don't understand why it hangs sometimes, I am not losing the interface so far, but why is internet access not available at some points and I have to turn off the wifi on the device and then turn it back on to get internet?
Options
2013-05-02 17:08:17
Well this may not be a TP-LINK issue but rather you computer Wireless Network card.

Eventually try updating the driver of your WIFI network card and unckeck "Enable power safe"
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3095

Replies: 21

Related Articles