Dropping connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Dropping connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Dropping connection
Dropping connection
2013-05-14 22:18:15
Region : Sweden

Model : TL-WA850RE

Hardware Version : V1.2

Firmware Version : TL-WA850RE_V1.20_130313

ISP :

Hi all,

I really need to get this WA850RE stable so that I can use it properly.
Setup was fine, it took just a few minutes to get the device up and running. I always have 80-90% signal strength in my connection (according to the configuration utility) to the root device and I can properly connect to the WA850RE and it all works perfect. I can also easily connect to the WA850RE configuration utility without any issues. Everything is perfectly fine for about 5-10 minutes with heavy traffic. After that, the internet connection disappears even though the WA850RE claims to still be connected to the root device (according to the LED's on front of the device).
At this point I can no longer connect to the WA850RE configuration utility either and only thing to do is to unplug the WA850RE from the power outlet, plug it back in again and wait for it to re-boot and connect to the root device again.

Funny thing is that if I keep throughput at a really low level, the WA850RE stays online basically all the time, but as soon as I run more than 5-10 Mbps for a few minutes it crashes.
I've tried setting different channels... No difference.

Any ideas what to try next?

Second thing that I find a bit annoying is that the WA850RE seems to "forget" some settings from time to time between re-boots. For instance, about one out of four times it totally forgets to use a separate SSID than the root device although this has been set in the configuration utility. How is it possible that it forgets some of the settings? It can obviously connect to the root device so it clearly remembers passwords and so on?

Any idea why it behaves like this?
Options
4 Reply
Re:Dropping connection
2013-05-17 00:41:42
Ok, issue one seems to be resolved. Key was to run 20 MHz channel bandwidth (on root device and WA850RE) and not use channels 1-6.

Second issue remains, but on the other hand... I hope that the improvement regarding issue number one above will reduce the need to re-boot all the time.
Options
2013-07-17 05:41:03
I can confirmed what you wrote.

Changing channel and setting the speed down to 130Mbit (20 MHz) the wireless is stable. But that is not what I expected of this product.

My primary access point is a TL-WA901N with latest firmware (3.12.16 Build 130131 Rel.53760n) I have just updated my WA850RE to the latest firmware available and will do some testing setting in back to 300Mbit / 40 MHz.
Options
2013-07-17 21:38:51
And a follow up.

I tired setting it back to 300Mbit/40 MHz and started a file transfer, after around 600-700Mb the link between the Access Point (TL-WA901N) and the repeater (WA850RE) stopped working. The Repeater became inaccessible, I could either restart the primary Access point or restart the repeater, either way the link got back. But it's really annoying having to walk around restarting the repeater every now and then to make sure it's working properly when running at max speeds.

Settings in back to the suggested settings by JohnF: 20 MHz channel bandwidth and use a channel above 6, works. Then it run stable again, but at low speeds (130Mbit).
Options
2013-08-28 15:10:23
I was having the same problems but upgraded to the latest firmware this morning and the problems seem to be fixed
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 4

Related Articles