Sky Ultrafast Plus using TP Link VR2800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-28 10:20:03
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Whatever it came with

Hiya

I'm after some help and guidance to enable me to use a TP Link VR2800 on my new Sky Ultrafast Plus package. The new Sky Hub is good but the signal strength in the far to reach places, including my office / garage isn't great, so I bought the above router, noting it could connect via the MER authentication.

The current setup is FTTP to my ONT box in the cupboard, ethernet from there to a port in the wall in the living room. Connect from that to the Sky Hub WAN port and bingo, all works ... albeit a relatively weak signal in the office.

I did have an C2300 which worked perfectly as above for BT Broadband but unfortunately doesn't allow MER connections that Sky seemingly require and couldn't get it to work properly as a WAP, as it kept dropping out. I did find this but again, didn't work with the C2300:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Sky-FTTP-with-TP-Link-Archer-C6/td-p/3476098

So, enter the TP Link VR2800. I've spent the best part of a couple of hours this morning trying to connect it with no joy. I found this URL that mentions a generic Sky username and password, which didn't work:

https://kevq.uk/how-to-use-a-tp-link-router-with-sky-fibre-optic

Then I found an article about getting the router username and password using Wireshark, which I did successfully but that also didn't work.

I've set it up the same as the Sky Hub, straight from the Ethernet port in the wall to the WAN port on the VR2800 router but never get an internet signal icon on it. It has the two WiFi icons lit up but no DSL (Which I am not sure should be with FTTP?) and no internet signal.

I did also try and change this to be a WAP and set it up from the Sky Hub, connect that from a yellow Ethernet port into the WAN in the VR2800 but again nothing 

At this point I'm out of ideas, surrounded by routers and cables and the only time I can connect to the internet is by using the default Sky Hub. Any help would be hugely appreciated,

Many thanks

Tom

Options
1 Reply
Re:Sky Ultrafast Plus using TP Link VR2800
2021-09-29 03:05:23

@TomJenkins 

Hi, I notice you mention that it is the Ethernet cable out of the ONT box.

For our DSL modem router, it only supports Sky(MER) connection under DSL modem router mode, which means the cable from ISP needs to be a telephone or DSL line.

In this way, I am afraid you might need to keep sky hub and connect VR2800 behind the sky hub; then set up 2800 under wireless router mode with dynamic IP connection.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1145

Replies: 1

Related Articles