Conecting two m9 to modem by ethernet cablw

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-06 14:20:10 - last edited 2021-11-07 13:58:11

Hi,

I have an internet from orange 1gbit.

I wonder if I can connect two M9 by ethernet cable  strictly to the modem which orange gave us?

I guess the speed will be better than connecting by mesh network two m9 am I right?

I would like to put one on the first floor and second on the second floor.

To sum up I wonder if there is always one "main" m9 connected to the modem or I can connect two of them by cable.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Conecting two m9 to modem by ethernet cablw-Solution
2021-11-06 21:23:08 - last edited 2021-11-07 13:58:11

@soek 

You can connect multiple Deco units to ISP model/router, but only if you configure Deco to run in Access Point mode. More about connecting Deco by Ethernet: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

This is where Access Point setting is in Deco app:

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Conecting two m9 to modem by ethernet cablw-Solution
2021-11-06 21:23:08 - last edited 2021-11-07 13:58:11

@soek 

You can connect multiple Deco units to ISP model/router, but only if you configure Deco to run in Access Point mode. More about connecting Deco by Ethernet: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

This is where Access Point setting is in Deco app:

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Conecting two m9 to modem by ethernet cablw
2021-11-07 13:17:10 - last edited 2021-11-07 13:17:36

So you set the operating mode for each deco yes? To sum up I can have two decos working in Access Point mode by cable, and third one working without cable, just paired wirelessly?

Options
2021-11-07 13:58:42

@soek 

Operation Mode is for Deco mesh, not for individual nodes. If you set your Deco correctly, you should have single Deco mesh with three Deco units in it. Change Operation Mode in Deco app to Access Point mode and all your Deco units will run in that mode.

The question about wired and wireless Deco running together is answered in Q2 of document I gave you. Short answer: yes, they will run just fine, wired and wireless.

Options
2021-11-07 14:29:17

@Alexandre. Thank you so much!

Last question.

In option : Router - Main Deco - Switch - Deco 1, Deco 2 etc.

Can I set the parental control for each deco separately? 

Options
2021-11-07 14:55:42

@soek 

If you switch Deco Operation Mode to Access Point, you will lose Parental controls. More about it here: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

There are good news: with the option "Router - Main Deco - Switch - Deco 1, Deco 2" you do not need to switch Deco to Access Point mode to have some Satellite Deco wired to switch and other wireless. Which means, if you stay with that option, you'll still have Parental controls.

Parental controls are set for all Deco units that are in Deco mesh. You can't set them on individual Deco units, that defeats the whole point. The point of WiFi mesh is to present mobile device with single SSID, unified services behind that SSID, and have multiple number of Deco units all behave in unison.

Options
2021-11-07 15:04:45 - last edited 2021-11-07 15:26:55

@Alexandre. Once again thank you!

This will be the last one I promise! :)

In this setup: Modem/Router - Main Deco - Switch - Deco 1, Deco 2 etc.

The Modem/Router gives WiFi as well or only Decos give WiFi?

EDIT :

I guess I founf the answer:

Q1: Can I set the Deco Wi-Fi name and password to be the same as my existing router?

When Deco works with an existing router, it is suggested to turn off the router's Wi-Fi network and use Deco's Wi-Fi network instead to minimize the wireless interference.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 541

Replies: 6

Related Articles