TL-WR902AC Won't Connect to Hotel Wi-Fi

TL-WR902AC Won't Connect to Hotel Wi-Fi

19 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC Won't Connect to Hotel Wi-Fi
2022-04-20 02:42:12

@Kevin_Z 

I got my WR802N to work in a similar situation.

Bought the travel router a while back and had almost immediate success sharing hotel WiFi.

Now across an international border with a longer stay,in the same hotel chain,it wouldn't work.

I went around in circles, cloning the laptop MAC, cloning the iPhone MAC, but no matter what I did it wouldn't present the login page. It was doubly more frustrating as my devices tended to DIRECTLY connect to the  access points without entering any credentials!

I finally stumbled upon a suggestion online elsewhere that did the trick for me:

I shared the internet on my laptop and put the router in, well, router mode.

Now my laptop is directly connected to the hotel Wi-Fi, and  my phone, Nintendo and Fire-stick are getting connections from the WR802N. Success!

1) Get laptop connected to the Wi-Fi you want to share

2) Click on your connections in the Windows tray, then on "Network and Internet Settings"
3) Click on "Change Adapter Options"

4) Right-click on Wi-Fi, then click on "Properties"

5) Click on sharing tab,the check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection."

6) Power and Plug travel router into Ethernet port or USB-Ethernet adapter

7) Access travel router from another device and set to wireless router mode.

You may have to power cycle the router.

Options
2022-04-28 04:26:54

@Kevin_Z Do you think this has anything to do with people trying to connect to the "XFINITY" (secure) SSID versus "xfinitywifi" (unsecure and just authenticated via mac address)? As far as I know, only IOS/Android/macOS/Windows devices capable of downloading the "XFINITY secure profile" (802.1x keys/certs) can connect to "XFINITY." Do you know if the WR902AC is capable of downloading such a profile so that it can automatically connect to "XFINITY" when it's in range?

Also, side question.. as I don't own the WR902AC yet.. but when it's set to rebroadcast a hotspot signal.. does it output a wifi signal of it's own if it's not currently connected to the internet via said hotspot? For example does it automatically try and connect to a list of hotspots and ONLY broadcast it's own private wifi signal when and if it's successfully connected to one of the hotspots and reaching the internet?

Thanks in advance

Options
2022-04-28 07:36:07

pcmike wrote

@Kevin_Z Do you think this has anything to do with people trying to connect to the "XFINITY" (secure) SSID versus "xfinitywifi" (unsecure and just authenticated via mac address)? As far as I know, only IOS/Android/macOS/Windows devices capable of downloading the "XFINITY secure profile" (802.1x keys/certs) can connect to "XFINITY." Do you know if the WR902AC is capable of downloading such a profile so that it can automatically connect to "XFINITY" when it's in range?

Also, side question.. as I don't own the WR902AC yet.. but when it's set to rebroadcast a hotspot signal.. does it output a wifi signal of it's own if it's not currently connected to the internet via said hotspot? For example does it automatically try and connect to a list of hotspots and ONLY broadcast it's own private wifi signal when and if it's successfully connected to one of the hotspots and reaching the internet?

Thanks in advance

@pcmike 

Options
2022-04-28 10:39:43

@8013alam you didn't actually type anything... 🙃

Options
2022-04-29 06:22:25

@pcmike 

Definitely something with the open network 'xfinitywifi'.  In my case, the beta firmware fixed it.

Your second question: Yes, the device broadcasts automatically at all times (by default) unless you go in and change it.

Options
2022-05-29 21:10:24

@rpertusio Hi, could you provide me with the steps on how you installed the firmware?

Options
2022-05-29 21:13:26

@Kevin_Z Hi, can you please explain how to install the firmware onto the router?  I am having trouble. Thanks.

Options
2022-05-30 03:58:32

@jay10 Generally speaking, you can follow these instructions: How to Upgrade the firmware version of TP-Link Wireless Router?

The instructions are not specific to our model.  Use the links in the very 1st post of this thread to download the firmware.

Options
2022-12-19 01:05:35 - last edited 2022-12-19 04:59:21

Thanks, @Kevin_Z. Using FW 220804, I got up to step 4 of what you outlined in post #12 and devices connected to the AC750 connect to the internet (after my Max connected to it got the Xfinity authentication page). I could not get steps 5 and beyond to work. Is there any issue with me keeping the AC750 on the static IP?

Options