Deco m5 connection scheme

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-26 08:06:08
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Good afternoon!
The wiring is being redone, in this regard, it is necessary to conduct a new wiring of Ethernet cables in the house (3 floors)
Underground floor(0), first floor and second
To organize wi-fi, I chose the Deco m5 set of 3 modules
In this regard, I ask you to tell me which scheme is preferable from the ones I have proposed below and whether it is working at all
Task Condition: at the entrance to the house, on the first floor, the provider's optical cable and the device Eltex NTU-RG-1402G-W, then the choice is free
Goal: to get a network so that all the devices are in it as in a single network (for example: you can print via wi-fi to a network LAN printer, wi-fi control of a smartphone was available in SmartTV connected by LAN)
I imagine three schemes:

1) option: From the provider's equipment to the switch and then with an Ethernet cable to each device (Will there be a real single "mesh" wi-fi in this case?)

2) Option: From the provider's equipment to the First DecoM5 (master?) then to the switch, then to each device

I don't think this option is the best because of the location of the first Deco m5 module, it turns out that the entrance to the house and the intended location of the switch will be in the corner of the house, I'm not sure that there will be a normal coverage of the first floor along the radius. As I understand it, in this case there will just be a common network and lan and wi-fi combined into a single mesh

3) the Deco m5 option goes after the switch and goes after each other, the master is on the 0 floor, as I understand it, there will be a mesh wi-fi network, but will it be combined into a single network together with lan equipment?

Which is better to choose ?
I didn't find the exact information, but the Deco m5, as I understand it, does not support PoE and the power supply is required for each module

Thank you

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco m5 connection scheme
2021-11-26 13:49:24

@IzIFRag 

Let's start with basics of Deco mesh and WiFi mesh deployment.

Deco creates its own WiFi network and mesh, it does not extend provider's router WiFi network. For that reason, it is recommended to turn off WiFi on provider's equipment after Deco mesh is deployed.

With that in mind, you'll need to figure how to place Deco M5 nodes to provide WiFi coverage over the whole house. You won't be using provider's router WiFi to complement Deco WiFi.

When Deco nodes communicate with each other over Ethernet, in Deco terminology it means they are using "Ethernet backhaul." More information about that and its limitations can be found here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco.

Deco mesh can run in Router (default) mode or in Access Point mode. The difference between these two modes is described here: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

I would recommend for you to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode. In that configuration, provider's router manages the network, like it does now, Deco provides WiFi mesh coverage. Also, in Access Point mode you have absolute flexibility in Deco nodes deployment: you can connect Deco node to any Ethernet port or cable in your house and it'll work properly.

This is how I run my Deco WiFi mesh, which consists of four Deco nodes: two M9 Plus and two M5.

----------------------

Reviewing your options.

In all three options, Deco will establish WiFi mesh, and all the devices, wired and wireless, will be in a single network. Options 1 and 3 will only work with Deco in Access Point mode, Option 2 will work with both Deco Access Point and Deco Router mode. I would not recommend Option 2, for multiple reasons. 

As I said before, I do recommend configuring Deco to run in Access Point mode. After you set first Deco, which will become your Main Deco, change its configuration to Access Point mode, in Deco app, and add remaining M5s to the mesh after that.

-----------------------

Deployment hint: each Deco has two Ethernet ports. This can be used to place Deco where you already have another wired device. For example, I found a good place for one of my Deco nodes to be at my TV stand in the living room. TV is Ethernet wired. I took that Ethernet cable and plugged it to one of Deco ports, used another Ethernet cable to connect Deco second Ethernet port with TV Ethernet port. 

Same in my home office, Deco M5 near wired network printer "borrowed" printer's Ethernet cable and printer is now connected to the second port of that M5. All I needed for that to work is spare electric outlet to plug M5 in. 

I can see from your drawings that your house is nicely wired, so you can do the same where you already have wired device and want to place Deco unit, too.

Options
Re:Deco m5 connection scheme
2021-11-27 14:55:30
Thank you !!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 660

Replies: 2

Related Articles