Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender or Saying Incorrect Password

2021-11-26 12:23:38 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:32:12

This Article Applies to:

all TP-Link range extenders

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

• Wireless devices (phones, laptops, etc.) are unable to connect Wi-Fi of the extender after setup;

• Extender won’t accept router Wi-Fi password after setup, saying ‘incorrect password’;

• Very long random password on RE after WPS;

• Certain devices are unable to connect to Wi-Fi extender.

• PS4 / IOS devices fail to connect to RE's Wi-Fi network or failed to get an IP address 

Troubleshooting Tips

Note:  TP-Link range extender will use the same Wi-Fi password as the router after being configured successfully. When connecting to the Wi-Fi of extender, you should put in the router’s Wi-Fi password.

Case 1: RE Signal Led/ 2.4G or 5G Wi-Fi Led are OFF, and wireless clients won’t accept the router password.

RE LED OFF indicates that the extender has not connected to the router yet. If the Wi-Fi extender says incorrect password, then the password given to the extender may be incorrect.

1. Factory reset RE and install it from the beginning, put in the correct Wi-Fi password during setup.

2. If Signal LED/Wi-Fi LED is still off, refer to What should I do if I fail to configure TP-Link Range Extender?

Case 2: RE Signal Led/ Wi-Fi Led is ON, and wireless clients won’t accept the router password

RE LED ON indicates that the extender has connected to the router successfully.  RE will get an IP address from the router and in the router’s local network.

1. Factory reset extender and set it up through Web page or Tether APP:

RESET: With the extender powered on, use a pin to press the RESET button until all the LED flash once. 

How to configure Range Extender via Tether APP

How to configure my range extender via web GUI 

2.  Install the latest firmware update for range extender: How to upgrade the firmware of my range extender (new logo)?

3.  Double check RE password on Tether APP or Web UI: (for RE Signal Led/ Wi-Fi Led ON scenario)

a)  Check RE password on TP-Link Tether APP as follows:

Download the TP-Link Tether app, connect your mobile device to the home Wi-Fi network. Open Tether APP and login extender in Tether.  Tap ‘Extended Network’ to check the extender's password and use that password to connect the Wi-Fi of the extender.  

b) Check RE password on its Web page:

Login to the router and check what is the IP address of the extender on the router’s client list (you may need help from router support if you do not how to login to the router). Then launch a web browser and type in the IP of the extender to log in to the extender's web page.  Go to Wireless Settings to locate the Wi-Fi password of the extender. 

Check out FAQ Method 2 for details:  How to use my Range Extender properly if your range extender is configured correctly?

Case 3:  Very long random Wi-Fi password on extender after WPS process

In a few instances, you may find a very long random Wi-Fi password (64 bits) on the extender if you use WPS to pair router and extender. This is caused by ‘Wi-Fi protected setup state’  wireless frame in WPS protocol, check out the FAQ here for details: 

Why is my main router’s wireless password changed after using WPS to setup the Range Extender?

1. Try to Factory reset RE and install it from Tether APP or Web UI, put in the correct Wi-Fi password during setup.

2. Use Tether App or Web UI to check the RE password as Case2.  And change  the password from random password to the same as router's password. (thanks to  @Taff64 shared in this thread )

Case 4: Certain Device Unable to Connect Wi-Fi extender

1.  Install the latest firmware update for range extender: How to upgrade the firmware of my range extender (new logo)?

2. Ensure that the device could connect to Router’s Wi-Fi.  Remove Wi-Fi profile or forget extender Wi-Fi on that certain device and reconnect to Wi-Fi of extender (FAQ: Remove Wi-Fi profile on Windows) FAQ: How to remove existing wireless network profile on Android&iPhone

3. Contact device support to get more professional help.  

Case 5 : PS4 / IOS devices fail to connect to RE's Wi-Fi network or failed to get an IP address 

Refer to FAQ below to manually configure RE DHCP settings:

What's the solution if my TP-Link range extender can't connect to my router properly?

Related Articles:

[Troubleshooting] Range Extender Keeps Losing Connection

Has connected to TP-Link extender but no internet, what can I do?

[Solution] TL-WA850RE failed to connect to my Hitron Modem

Options
17 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender or Saying Incorrect Password
2022-02-19 17:34:28

@Solla-topee So every time I connect to the extender the main password from the router needs to be inserted? What is the point of making Extender password then? 

Options
Re:[Troubleshooting] Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender or Saying Incorrect Password
2022-02-21 09:37:00 - last edited 2022-02-21 09:37:54

Hello @FRTFRT 

Most of the time client devices them laptop/ mobile phone will remember/save the Wi-Fi SSID and password, so you do not need to manually put in Wi-Fi password except the first time device connecting to the Wi-Fi of extender. 

Options
2022-03-20 09:05:52

Trying to log in another device but i can't remember original passwo

Options
2022-03-21 02:11:58

@Mattywags Hello this thread is for Wireless ' incorrect password ' for login failed, you could start a thread here

If login failed, try to  Factory reset RE  , after a successfully reset, the tether or web UI will let you create a new login password

Options
2022-08-05 09:23:28

how  can  I reset the Password  of the Extender.

Options
Re:Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender or Saying Incorrect Password
2022-10-28 21:32:47

@Solla-topee The password it is asking for is you computer password

Options
2022-11-02 09:40:21

@Solla-topee 

I have tried everything I believe.

I purchase a RE500X and wanted Mesh services so that it was going to be seamless.

it simply does NOT work.

I have applied the latest firmware to the RE unit.

I have set it up by logging in via its 192.168 etc address.

It does not work.  Same message password issue.

I tried using Tether, Same issue.

I did WPS button setup ... same again.

so I use my iPhone and forget the router and Re login having to type in my password ... both 2,5 and 5 work from the router OK so I know the password is correct.

When  I try either the 2.5 or 5 TP-Link_XXXX they both have password issues

To be clear.  All LED's are lit and it seems to show every sign of working with excellent signal strength, 

but nothing can login.  Absolutely nada.  So it a powerful unit that simply eats power for fun it seems. It does not want to work.

Using Tether and going into the RE unit and looking at the password Tether says,  this is a OneMesh network and it fully automatic.  It also shows the password as "?undefined?" and everything is greyed out so you can't change anything.  So its impossible to fix or re-enter the password.

man let me tell you I am so unhappy with this.  I thought I was on a winner, only to get what seems to me to be a disaster product.

Somebody please explain and get this deadweight pulling its weight.

Options
2022-12-09 10:38:03

@MePC Model: TL-WA860RE

Setup via Tether App, Connection to Router worked without Problems, Network Configured, all LEDs Go, Network strength good

Problem: Password of Router does not work with "..._EXT" ("incorrect Password") , Same Password is shown in Tether (says "Security: Unknown" but correct Password).

TP reset, new Setup, Same result.

No Firmware Update yet.

It ist a WEP password.

Suggestions Please?

Options
2023-01-27 20:59:43

@Solla-topee Hey I have problem only with the 5hz extension 2,4hz works fine but for connecting to the 5hz it says incorrect password.

passwords are the same for both networks. And they are the same in app.

Options
2023-01-29 00:18:38 - last edited 2023-01-29 00:26:21

@Solla-topee I have the same problem. 5Ghz works only on the main deco. If I try to connect to one of the 5 slave decos, I get a "wrong password" message.

Current workaround: Disable 5 GHz bandwidth. Still looking for a solution.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 60796

Replies: 17