Archer AX73 high latency DNS on IPv4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-10 17:21:43 - last edited 2022-01-10 17:24:14
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20211119 rel.46484(5553)

Hi!

After update to the 1.1.0 Build 20211119 rel.46484(5553) version, I've been experiencing some degradation to network stability. After spending some hours of investigation, I narrowed down the issue to name resolution via IPv4 DNS.

Before enabling IPv6 support, ~75% of the time the HTTP(S) requisition would fail during name resolution. I noticed that the problem somehow got worse as the number of connected devices increased (never more than 10 devices, among smartphones and PCs), but I have no strong evidence for it.

After enabling IPv6 support, I noticed that the failures no longer happen, but sometimes websites take some seconds to load, mainly again due to name resolution. So I decided to test the IPv6 support using www.test-ipv6.com and, as a result, sometimes the IPv4 test times out after 15 seconds:

This scenarios happens both via Ethernet and Wireless connections.

I've also reproduced this issue with a single client connected via LAN port, to minimize the possibility of the router somehow being overloaded.

If there is any other information you may need for debugging, please let me know.

Best regards,
Gustavo.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer AX73 high latency DNS on IPv4
2022-01-11 09:06:53

@GustavoNihei 

Thank you very much for sharing your test results, we appreciate it.

To locate the issue efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later.

Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-11 12:31:57 - last edited 2022-01-11 12:32:50

Hi @Kevin_Z , thanks for the quick follow-up. Just some more information I forgot to provide.

I've tried configuring different IPv4 DNS servers on the AX73: ISP default, Google's 8.8.8.8 and CloudFlare's 1.0.0.1, all of them resulted in the same failure.

I've also attempted to reconfigure the network client on my Ubuntu machine to directly point to the DNS servers instead of routing through the AX73 (via 192.168.0.1 as the DNS servers). Again, failed the same way. Best regards, Gustavo.

Options
2022-01-12 00:47:26

@GustavoNihei 

Copy that. The support engineers will contact you soon, please pay attention to your email box and respond to them.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-20 10:21:07

Same here, updated today in the morning, since then connections often break down, even from local mobile Ether app to router.

I tried to downgrade to 1.0.1 but that only gave failure to upload errors.

Options
2022-01-20 12:51:45

NorbertP wrote

Same here, updated today in the morning, since then connections often break down, even from local mobile Ether app to router.

I tried to downgrade to 1.0.1 but that only gave failure to upload errors.

@NorbertP Try the beta firmware we provided below, then monitor again:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/521268

Options
2022-01-20 13:17:24
I bought my router in Japan (where I live), am I fine with the US or the EN versions?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1011

Replies: 6

Related Articles