Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5

Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5

100 Reply
Re:Guide to Installing Omada Software Controller on Raspberry Pi OS - V5
2022-07-02 13:12:38

@Khaos Overall you should just be able to follow the standard installation instructions since they apply to Ubuntu. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3272/

The only thing I would suggest to adjust in them is once you get the Ubuntu image running, do a full system update. Then create a swap file and enable it (if you ever need to enlarge it you can do this more easily than enlarging a partition). Maybe consider RAM compression at this time too, zswap is one option, but there are more with different tricks and compression options.  You should also learn about setting your "swappiness" threshold of your kernel parameters  (yes that's the real name). 

THEN work through the installation guide, this way you have the memory management benefits from the jump.

Hope that helps. 

Options
2022-08-26 16:49:40

@kilovar Thanks for this, I will try it out.  I couldn't get it to work before.  Do you know if the voucher system works on Raspberry pi ? 

Options
2022-08-26 21:26:51 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:01:14

EDIT

Options
2022-10-13 07:43:55

Has anybody tried Running the Omada controller software on a "Rockchip"-based SBC? Like the FriendlyELEC NeoPi3 LTS, or those RockPi devices?

I see that these SBCs are compatible with "Ubuntu Core" and I suspect they can also run the other ubuntu versions.

Has anybody tried using a non-RPI SBC for this?

Options
2022-10-13 15:05:46
I dont know if vouchers work - I dont use it
Options
2022-10-13 15:20:48

RNC1223 wrote

Has anybody tried Running the Omada controller software on a "Rockchip"-based SBC? Like the FriendlyELEC NeoPi3 LTS, or those RockPi devices?

I see that these SBCs are compatible with "Ubuntu Core" and I suspect they can also run the other ubuntu versions.

Has anybody tried using a non-RPI SBC for this?

@RNC1223 I have not tried Omada Controller on any other SBCs. 

As far as Ubuntu is concerned, I ran Omada controller on Ubuntu on both Pi 3B+ and Pi4 for a long time and it worked fine - it is an option for you if Ubuntu runs on your SBC of choice.

Once the 64 bit version of Raspberry Pi OS was released I started this thread as a way to document my experiences with RaspPi OS and Pi 3B+ and Pi 4 - this is not a likely forum to find information on other boards like Rockchips and Ubuntu.

Options
2022-11-24 21:50:05 - last edited 2022-11-24 22:59:23

Great tutorial but had to find java 8 on the RasPi Debian repo.  The one listed is long gone.   I also installed the newest version of MongoDB and not the one listed.

This was the only issue I had on my Pi 4B.   Works great!    Much better than running it my old Ubuntu Laptop.

Thank you!

Options
2023-01-17 13:52:51

@kilovar 

Thank you for this detailed installation guide - and the correction.

A few questions before i begin :-)

1. I have just installed controller on my windows 11 pc, but I would like to move it to my pi 4. Is there a way to transfer configuration (and not disturbing the router)?

2. I would like to use my WS to access controller. Is there a way to do that (using pi4 ip instead of localhost)? I assume I will need to autostart controller om reboot (preferably automatically).

They are both on the same internal network and I have no security concerns - but the controller may not know that :-)

Thnx Freddy

Options
2023-01-18 03:07:34

@FreddyFremad 

1. Yes this is possible through the controller migration option in settings 

2.  I dont know what WS means and what you are asking

3.  Note the links provided in the original post may not work directly.  You may need to poke around at the links to find the correct files to download.  I've given up trying to keep the links correct because the forum does not allow posting of links anymore

Options
2023-01-22 17:21:04 - last edited 2023-01-22 17:28:37

@FreddyFremad 

#1 - I migrated from an Ubuntu laptop to my RasPi 4.  It was a pretty simple task.

#2. - I can access my "RasPi Omada Controller"  from the Android app and the web based shell by using the IP address of the RasPi 4.    Of course I had to set-up the RasPi with a static IP and allow the Omada web ports on the RasPi firewall. 

If you have a PoE switch with an open port, you should get a PoE hat for the PI!

Options
Related Articles