tl-pa7020-kit 1gbps suddenly going slow.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-08 21:23:55 - last edited 2022-02-08 21:24:56
Model: TL-PA7020 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello there;

I've been using my tl-pa7020-kit for about 3 years now without fault, moved house about a year ago and they were perfectly fine.

I have however the past few weeks been having an issue where my net speed simply won't go beyond 150/160mbit.  It's not my Internet as I get over 410mbit of Wifi 5Ghz (phone).

I installed the TP Link App which I never knew about and speeds are all always above 500mbit, they fluctuate from 550ish to 800ish.

Anyway, tried new cables (to router and pc) tried moving the plugs, changing ports in the router, changing ports in the powerline adaptors.. nothing.

I'm totally stuck, so they're either knackered or there's an issue with all 4 ports on my Virgin Router.

Any Ideas?  And no, no new devices plugged in, nothing new / no new devices no changes nothing, entire house is "as is".

Oh even tried a brand new fresh install of Windows 11 (today) to no avail.

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:tl-pa7020-kit 1gbps suddenly going slow.
2022-02-08 22:18:14
Updated Firmware then Factory reset (wasn't linking). Still the same.
Options
2022-02-09 14:26:44

@ItsAdam 

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

The rate shown on the app is only a connection rate which is also called powerline rate, the actual theoretical transfer rate of device is about 30%~35% (rate of conversion)of the connection rate. However, this actual theoretical transfer rate is run by professional speed measuring tools——Chariot. It means that this rate is a maximum value, your actual transfer rate will less than this value. 

Below article may help you better understand:

Explanation about the Powerline Rate and Actual speed of the Powerline Adapters

So if you get about 550Mbps connection rate on app, then it is normal that you get about 150/160Mbps actual transfer rate.

And you can try some steps in this guide to improve the powerline rate:

What can I do if my powerline rate is very low?

Options
2022-02-09 16:10:50

@TP-Link well isn't that kinda stupid? 

Why do you sell/market them as 1 gbps then if they're only ever going to manage 330mbit at full speed? 

That's directly misleading the consumer. 

That also doesn't explain why I can never get above 150 now, yet previously I was getting 220Mbit off my broadband 24/7.

I've moved plug sockets, unplugged stuff, relocated things to no avail. 

I guess they're potato after just 3 years... Looks like I'll buy another brand that'll last or simply run some cat 6 cable. 

Again, selling something quoting a speed it'll never hit is misleading and mis-selling, regardless if its the industry standard meme sales pitch. 

Let me quote your product description:

"Provides users with stable, high-speed data transfer rates of up to 1000 Mbps"

If its as you say it would only be 330. 

Anyway, doesn't help the fact the speeds seemingly dived overnight without any reason. 

Options
2022-02-28 00:34:09

@ItsAdam OK Brilliant support, no DM's not firmware upgrade options just a total blank.

That means when my 2 wireless hubs die, me 2 repeaters (for outdoors) and my new powerlines won't be TP link (they all were atm).

Thanks for making a switch to a new company the whole lot easier.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 591

Replies: 4