Set Deco M5 to use ethernet backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-22 19:20:24
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 beta build 20210818 Rel. 54889

Hello all,

From what I understand, it's not possible to force Deco to use ethernet backhaul over wireless connection. You can set a "preferred" connection point, however this changes nothing and still doesn't force ethernet backhaul.

Is this a planned feature in the future? Currently, the Decos decide to try to connect via wireless connection when ethernet is plugged in. The main deco is far enough away from the 3rd one in the chain to cause frequent drops in connection, but for some reason it refuses to use ethernet backhaul to the second one in the chain. 

What makes this worse is that the 2nd one in the chain is closer to the 3rd one in the chain than the main Deco! I use the Deco's to span the entire length of the building. Why can we not choose the use ethernet backhaul instead of wireless?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Set Deco M5 to use ethernet backhaul
2022-03-23 02:46:26

@MaxKrawczyk 

hi, there has been a new beta version for Deco M5 here, and could you please try to install the latest firmware:

Deco M5 1.6.0 build 20220307

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/beta/2022/202203/20220308/Deco_M5_1.6.0_20220307.zip   (the third edition)

thank you and wait for your update. 

Options
2022-03-24 20:57:47

@David-TP Thank you for pointing out this beta. I would have thought a new forum thread be made to alert people that a new beta is out. It appears to be choosing the closest deco for wireless backhaul now, but I still cannot force ethernet backhaul

Thank you,

Max

Options
2022-03-29 11:56:16

@MaxKrawczyk 

Hi, Can I have a picture of your network layout, such as how the Decos are wired together and would there be a network switch(if yes, what is the model)?

The follow link about the Ethernet back would provide more details:

General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options