Using Deco X90 and Deco X73 DSL in my home then using X73 by itself at Parents

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-09 03:45:42 - last edited 2022-04-11 12:57:00

Hi there

I currently have 2 X90 running in my house FTTP connection. The main X90 is at the modem and the 2nd X90 is in the Study,
Both current X90s are at front of house. So  I am weighing up options to expand it.
I have a few options below to install another Deco satellite to cover the back of house.

OPTION 1: Another X90

OPTION 2: X73 DSL.
Can I use this at my Mums place when visiting if I reconfigure it and connect up as a modem to her FTTN  via the DSL port?

The X73 would be used as a satellite at my place in the study so i can connect printer and computer up to it and shift the other X90 into the lounge.

OPTION 3: X60

Cheaper then X90

OPTION 4: M9 Plus 2 pack

To run connect to smart lights, switches etc.

OPTION 5: Running Ethernet cable to study and install a switch. 
The 2 X90s spread out by shifting the satellite from Study to back of house is ample coverage but would really like one in the study to connect work computer up to instead of running Ethernet cable unless people suggest cable and switch would be better into the study.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I am leaning towards the X73 but just want to confirm using it for both my place as a satellite and Mums as a modem is possible and whether or not it would be a pain switching each time I move it?

However i thought I would include the options to see if people thought one of the other options may be a better idea.

Cheers in advice and greatly appreciate.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Using Deco X90 and Deco X73 DSL in my home then using X73 by itself at Parents -Solution
2022-04-10 00:22:27 - last edited 2022-04-11 12:57:18

@Browny73 

There is one important piece of information when it comes to WiFi mesh, and this is applicable to any brand. There are two types of Satellite units: those that are connected to the Ethernet and those that are wirelessly connected to the rest of WiFi mesh.

When planning Satellite units deployment, those that are connected to Ethernet should be placed as close to where you want to have best WiFi speeds as possible. Satellite units that are wirelessly connected to WiFi mesh - should not.

For example, if you want best WiFi in Master bedroom, and you happened to have Ethernet there - you should place Satellite unit in Master Bedroom and connect it to Ethernet. If Master Bedroom does not have Ethernet, the optimal place for Satellite unit may be in some other place.

If you have two Deco X90 in close proximity of each other, the one in Study is most likely not placed optimally. Power off Satellite X90 and run speed tests on your work computer which is now wirelessly connected to Main Deco. If I am right, speed test results won't be substantially worse than when that PC was connected to Satellite X90 in the same Study.

Coming back to the option of bringing Ethernet to Study. Also, assuming you have X90s placed the way I suggested, meaning Satellite X90 in the middle of the house. The best would be to have work computer wired to Ethernet. If you want to have really good WiFi for mobile devices in Study which you can't wire, such as tablet or smartphone, buy Deco X20 and connect it to Ethernet in Study. 

Deco X20 is budget model of Deco X-series, and it won't do well when wirelessly connected, but when it is Ethernet wired and for a single room coverage - X20 is all you need.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Using Deco X90 and Deco X73 DSL in my home then using X73 by itself at Parents -Solution
2022-04-11 00:30:36 - last edited 2022-04-11 12:57:00

@Browny73 

Browny73 wrote

Can I use the X20 DSL at Mums place which is FTTN as well as in study when at home. 

You can do that, because X20 DSL should be able to connect to the Ethernet. Yet, if you just bring X20 DSL to your house, it'll still run under your parents' Deco mesh network. To make it work right, you'll have to delete X20 DSL from their Deco mesh and add it to your Deco mesh. Then, when you need to take X20 DSL back, you'll have to reverse these changes.

You may find it easier either to buy another X20 for yourself, or buy something else for your parents and permanently take X20 DSL to your house. 

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Using Deco X90 and Deco X73 DSL in my home then using X73 by itself at Parents
2022-04-09 13:16:46 - last edited 2022-04-09 13:19:00

@Browny73 

For your house with two Deco units, and Main Deco X90 at the front of the house, the optimal WiFi coverage will be if you place Satellite Deco X90 in the middle between Main Deco X90 and the back of house. Which means, Satellite X90 must sit somewhere in the middle of the house.

In that place, it should receive good WiFi signal from Main Deco and broadcast good WiFi signal as far as back of your house. 

Question: if you can run Ethernet cable to Study and install a switch, why can't you connect your work computer by Ethernet cable to switch? 

Options
Re:Using Deco X90 and Deco X73 DSL in my home then using X73 by itself at Parents
2022-04-09 14:47:38 - last edited 2022-04-09 14:54:59

Thanks Alexandra for replying. Yeah if I was to run Ethernet cable to the study i will be connecting computer by switch. I just re-read my original post an relised I should have said I would like one in study instead of Ethernet unless people thought to just go with Ethernet, Didn't mean to say I would do both in study.
As you suggested I will change the location of the satellite and put it into middle of house instead of back of house.

Options
2022-04-10 00:22:27 - last edited 2022-04-11 12:57:18

@Browny73 

There is one important piece of information when it comes to WiFi mesh, and this is applicable to any brand. There are two types of Satellite units: those that are connected to the Ethernet and those that are wirelessly connected to the rest of WiFi mesh.

When planning Satellite units deployment, those that are connected to Ethernet should be placed as close to where you want to have best WiFi speeds as possible. Satellite units that are wirelessly connected to WiFi mesh - should not.

For example, if you want best WiFi in Master bedroom, and you happened to have Ethernet there - you should place Satellite unit in Master Bedroom and connect it to Ethernet. If Master Bedroom does not have Ethernet, the optimal place for Satellite unit may be in some other place.

If you have two Deco X90 in close proximity of each other, the one in Study is most likely not placed optimally. Power off Satellite X90 and run speed tests on your work computer which is now wirelessly connected to Main Deco. If I am right, speed test results won't be substantially worse than when that PC was connected to Satellite X90 in the same Study.

Coming back to the option of bringing Ethernet to Study. Also, assuming you have X90s placed the way I suggested, meaning Satellite X90 in the middle of the house. The best would be to have work computer wired to Ethernet. If you want to have really good WiFi for mobile devices in Study which you can't wire, such as tablet or smartphone, buy Deco X20 and connect it to Ethernet in Study. 

Deco X20 is budget model of Deco X-series, and it won't do well when wirelessly connected, but when it is Ethernet wired and for a single room coverage - X20 is all you need.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-10 07:50:54

Than,s again  @Alexandre. 

I have done a speed check and yes there is not much difference when I turn off the second X90. I will look into running Ethernet cable into study.

I like the idea of X20, thanks for letting me know it doesn't too well when connected wirelessly.

How does the X20 DSL work. Can I use the X20 DSL at Mums place which is FTTN as well as in study when at home. 

I will be using Launtel internet at Mums place which has daily internet plans where by you can just connect on the days I am there. Hence I think the X20 DSL can serve a dual purpose of using it in the study in my place then as main modem when at Mums.

Thanks heaps for your help greatly appreciated.

Options
2022-04-10 14:36:13
Options
2022-04-10 14:36:56
Humid
Options
2022-04-11 00:30:36 - last edited 2022-04-11 12:57:00

@Browny73 

Browny73 wrote

Can I use the X20 DSL at Mums place which is FTTN as well as in study when at home. 

You can do that, because X20 DSL should be able to connect to the Ethernet. Yet, if you just bring X20 DSL to your house, it'll still run under your parents' Deco mesh network. To make it work right, you'll have to delete X20 DSL from their Deco mesh and add it to your Deco mesh. Then, when you need to take X20 DSL back, you'll have to reverse these changes.

You may find it easier either to buy another X20 for yourself, or buy something else for your parents and permanently take X20 DSL to your house. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-11 13:17:04
.Hi Alexander I will get a seperate cheap modem instead of using the X20 DSL at Mums place and leave it there. That way my brother can log into my Launtel account when ever he is there and activate the account. Thanks for all your help Greatly appreciated. Cheers
Options
2022-04-11 13:17:13
.Hi Alexander I will get a seperate cheap modem instead of using the X20 DSL at Mums place and leave it there. That way my brother can log into my Launtel account when ever he is there and activate the account. Thanks for all your help Greatly appreciated. Cheers
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 826

Replies: 11