Introducing AXE5400 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6E Router Archer AXE75

Introducing AXE5400 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6E Router Archer AXE75

24 Reply
Re:Introducing AXE5400 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6E Router Archer AXE75
2022-08-02 06:00:09

@Andy202208 

Thank you very much for posting on the TP-Link community, and we certainly appreciate your feedback and feature request(s) here.

We don't have any specific details that I can share around if WPA/WPA2-Enterprise security can come to AXE75, or when it might, but I would be more than happy to send this feature request to the team for consideration.

Feel free to let us know of any other feature requests you may have, we’d be happy to send them up for you.

Options
2022-08-02 10:10:56 - last edited 2022-08-02 13:15:33

@Kevin_Z 

OK, thank you Kevin very much for your kindly reply, and send feature request for 6G band security mode update, hope you guys can release full support fw asap. 

I just received my router yesterday, I'd like to keep it for new firmware release to support all three bands can support WPA/WPA2-Enterprise security method, instead of return it.

This is important for me to setup 6G same as 2.4G/5G to using one authenticate radius server!!

Another question is about hardware reversion info, system -> firmware update page is showing 1.0.

but the pasted label on the back of router is showing v1.6, how to identify the real hardware reversion number please?

Options
2022-08-02 13:15:57 - last edited 2022-08-02 13:20:57

@Andy202208 

Hi,

If I am not mistaken, Wi-Fi 6E (6 GHz band) is not supposed to include backward compatibility for WPA2 security (and anything even older than that).

Obviously the Archer AXE75 is missing support for WPA3-Enterprise, which we can only hope TP-Link will add as soon as possible.

Options
2022-08-02 16:18:15 - last edited 2022-08-02 16:19:02

@woozle 

There's an extensive blog article www[dot]extremenetworks[dot]com/extreme-networks-blog/wireless-security-in-a-6-ghz-wi-fi-6e-world/ on the topic.

TP-Link may also find the article interesting, although this site doesn't allow "external links" 😉. What else internet is besides a bunch of links 😅

Options
2022-08-03 03:03:06

Andy202208 wrote

@Kevin_Z  

Another question is about hardware reversion info, system -> firmware update page is showing 1.0.

but the pasted label on the back of router is showing v1.6, how to identify the real hardware reversion number please?

@Andy202208 Ver 1.6 = Ver 1.0, you can find the note on the firmware download page here.

Options
2022-08-03 05:47:06

@datanomad 

Thank you very much for sharing the external materials online, we appreciate it.

Thank you also for sharing your opinion about posting external links in the community, some external links may do harm to the community and that's why it's not allowed to post unknown links. If there are some materials that are useful for others, we can ask the community admin to add them to the allowed list. I will ask them to add the one you linked right now. You may try to edit it later.

Options
2022-08-03 07:13:41

@Kevin_Z 

OK, thanks!

WPA3-Enterprise

Unlike WPA3-Personal, where an entirely new authentication method has been designated, WPA3-Enterprise still leverages 802.1X/EAP for enterprise-grade authentication. In other words, the enterprise-grade authentication process remains the same. The two main enhancements are support for MFP and an optional enhanced cryptographic mode. WPA3-Enterpise defines three modes of operation:

– WPA3-Enterprise Only – 802.1X/EAP authentication remains the same. However, this mode would only be enabled on the AP if all clients were WPA3-capable. Management frame protection (MFP) is required for both APs and clients operating in this mode.
– WPA3-Enterprise Transition -The transitional mode allows for backward compatibility with WPA2-Enterprise. This allows WPA2-Enterprise clients to connect to the same SSID as WPA3-Enterprise clients. 802.1X/EAP authentication remains the same. However, in this mode, MFP is used by the WPA3 clients but not necessarily by the WPA2 clients.
– WPA3-Enterprise 192-Bit – This mode may be deployed in sensitive enterprise environments to further protect Wi-Fi networks with higher security requirements such as government, defense, and industrial. This is an optional mode using 192-bit minimum-strength security protocols and cryptographic tools to better protect sensitive data. Some of the WPA3-Enterprise 192-bit mode requirements include:-

• 256-bit GCMP/AES is used to encrypt data frames as opposed to the standard CCMP/AES with 128-bit encryption.
  • Management frame protection (MFP) is required.
  • 256-bit Broadcast/Multicast Integrity Protocol Galois Message Authentication Code (BIP-GMAC-256) is used for management frame protection as opposed to the normally negotiated BIP-CMAC-128.
  • EAP-TLS is used as the authentication protocol.

Despite the transitional modes offered by WPA3, currently, tactical deployments of WPA3 security are rare in the enterprise. WPA2-Enterprise still offers almost the same level of 802.1X/EAP authentication security as WPA3-Enterprise. I think WPA3-Personal, and the use of SAE is growing in the consumer market but has not really been embraced yet in the enterprise where PSK authentication may or may not be used. The bulk of the enterprise Wi-Fi client population supports and continues to use WPA2 security. Additionally, even though WPA3 firmware upgrades are possible for older client devices, most client vendors may never offer a WPA3 firmware update for a client device that is three or more years old. However, the Wi-Fi Alliance mandates support for WPA3 security for Wi-Fi 6 certification, meaning that all 802.11ax radios must support WPA3. Furthermore, as of July 1, 2020, the Wi-Fi Alliance mandates support of WPA3 security for all future certifications. In other words, all the Wi-Fi radios currently hitting the market must support WPA3, however, adoption is still another matter.

Options
2022-08-04 07:05:57

@Andy202208 

Thank you very much for posting the different security settings for WPA3 security, we will certainly ask the engineering team to look into further to see if that would be possible in the future firmware build.

Options
2022-08-29 08:51:14

@Kevin_Z Hi, I have bought this router and I have been using it for sometime now. But I have found that the router keeps blocking certain sites

YouTube, Google search, even the tp link community page. This happens from my PC which is connected to the Ethernet. I can browse other sites which this happens. And after couple of minutes, the site is unblocked again. Its annoying and definitely not worth what I paid for. I have disabled all the firewalls and checked but nothing happens so far. 

My PC is windows 10 enterprise 21H2 and all the drivers are updated

I have installed a fresh windows recently because of this issue and the issue remains.

while the sites are being blocked, i can access them perfectly from my wifi devices

My downloads and uploads are not interrupted and I can login to the router even. So there is no cable issues between the PC and the router.

The only solution if the problem persists is to restart the PC and the site can be accessed.

The tp link community site remained blocked for serval hours and I restarted the PC and I was able to access it

Options
2022-08-30 06:26:35

@LioricLionheart 

When this Windows 10 is unable to visit YouTube/Google/TP-Link Community, are you still able to ping www.google.com or community.tp-link.com? If not, please try to change the Internet DNS servers on the AXE75 to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then confirm again.

BTW, what if you connect this Windows 10 to your ISP modem directly, or connect to another router with a cable, will you visit those sites properly?

Options