TL-WPA8631P 's speed is much slower than TL-PA7017 in same setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-24 11:53:41
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.1 newest

I recently bought TL-WPA8631P, hoping to replace my TL-PA7017 powerline adapter.

However in a completely same setup, same socket plugged in for the kit, (in a situation of tested one and replaced it with another)

my TL-PA7017 gets avg. speed of 120Mbps down/ 120Mbps up, 

but my new TL-WPA8631P can only get avg. speed of 55Mbps down/ 75Mbps up.

I have not plug any additional stuff onto the TL-WPA8631P external socket so this will not be the factor.

Why is the speed connection dropped down by half? 

Is this some firmware issue that can be solved in future?

Abit disappointed with this 8series powerline adapter.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WPA8631P 's speed is much slower than TL-PA7017 in same setup
2022-05-25 03:46:20

Hello   @Slashyz 

Thank you for starting a detailed post. 

• If you are testing Wi-Fi speed, try testing the 5Ghz Wi-Fi speed, which is usually faster than 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi. 

If they use the same Wifi name, you could customize wireless settings for 5Ghz wifi band. 

• Test 2 kits separately in the same wall sockets/ locations

If still the same, can you share some case details here 1) May I know did you test the Wi-Fi or wired speed of power line unit, please share a photo of the speedtest result & link speed on a wireless client 2) Download tpPLC Utility check the powerline rate beween powerline units on  tpPLC Utility 

Options
2022-05-25 11:22:56

Hello @Solla-topee, thanks for the reply

I am connecting with wired,

I've already turned off the WIFI because I though it might affect the speed but with no different in results.

below is the photos and everything in details. (As I said in the thread, everything is the same except the powerline adapters)

I am not sure why, but as you can see, TL-PA7017 is totally better in speed compare to that of TL-WPA8631P.

It's like TP-link added the WIFI and socket function but they forgot to test the ACTUAL USAGE of the performance of the powerline adapter.

Options
2022-05-26 02:19:23

Hello   @Slashyz 

Thank you very much for more testing and providing the details here! yes

The Powerline rate between TL-WPA8631P kit is pretty low, it seems that the kit is more sensitive to some interference in the house powerline, you could try some tips here:

• Remove the factors that could affect the powerline rate as guide below

What can I do if my powerline rate is very low?

• Turn ON PLC to VDSL interference mode 

What does Lower PLC-to-VDSL interference Mode do on powerline adapters?

• Try a different Wall socket for the Main/ Extender powerline unit and see if they could get higher link speed (You could test on a powerboard, plug both into the same power strip and check the power line rate)
  • Try a different Etherent cable between router and main adapter or check router port and see if Port Speed is 1000Mbps, not 100Mbps

If stil th esame, 1> May I know the network topology including the model of modem & router, do you use a VDSL modem?

2> What is the powerline rate between 7 series kit. 

3> Can you check the wired link speed  on computer which run speed test for TL-WPA8631P. 4> a photo of firmware of wired powerline unit. 

Options
2022-05-31 05:56:53

@Slashyz Feel free to let us know for any further observations on this. 

Options