Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2

Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2

62 Reply
Re:Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2?
2022-08-13 13:03:21

@Kevin_Z 

Not very tech savvy

I'm trying to connect my Archer AX6000 to our new starlink but not having any luck.

When I try solution 1 and try to unzip the file it comes back saying its an unvalid zip file...I downloaded the newest Winzip and no sucess.

When I try solution 2 for some reason my AX6000 does not have "Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting" option...not sure why that is.

I don't have a network switch to see if it works with that.

I do know that the cat cable connection from the starlink adapter to the computer is providing LAN internet connection.

Any other suggestions? 

Options
Re:Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2?
2022-08-13 14:52:55
my stupidity I did find "Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting" changed it and nothing happened. after that I got frustrated and I tried connecting my old netgear R7000 to it and it works fine. I didn't even do a factory reset on it. So really confused
Options
2022-08-15 07:43:35

@dwdaubert 

When you tried to install the beta firmware on the AX6000, did you unzip it first? Please check and ensure you downloaded the firmware successfully, try to download it one more time, and unzip it again.

When changing the Internet Negotiation Speed to 100M, please try to start both the Starlink and the AX6000, then monitor again.

If none works, I would like to escalate your case to our support engineers to investigate further, please check your registered email and follow it up, thank you.

Options
2022-08-15 07:49:20

@TNStarlink 

V1 = V1.6, you can find the explanation on the website:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax11000/#Firmware

Options
2022-08-16 00:57:12

@Kevin_Z 

Guys you have got a seriously terrible consistency problem.

If I go to the firmware downloads page for the AX11000 V1 and choose hardware version, and select V1, then click the firmware button my top choice is as follows:

Header (presumably file name): Archer AX11000(US)_V1_220221
Published Date: 2022-04-29
File Size: 37.99MB

If I select hardware version V1.60, then click the firmware button my top choice is as follows:

Header (presumably file name): Archer AX11000(US)_V1.6_220221
Published Date: 2022-05-27
File Size: 37.99MB

The name and the published date would make one think this is indeed a different file yet clicking either download button gives me "Archer AX11000(US)_V1_220221.zip"

So which is it guys, are both hardware versions supposed to use the same firmware?  If so why have the dropdown at all for the hardware version, this just adds to confusion?  Why the different header on the site for the name of the download?  Why the different publish date?

Options
2022-08-18 03:41:19

@TNStarlink 

Thank you very much for letting us know about the confusion caused by the AX11000 firmware versions.

There are both V1.0 and V1.6 versions in the United States, and the V1.6 version is only sold in the United States, so you can find them both when choosing firmware. 

The Version Number that is listed on the bottom is indicative of where the product was manufactured or where the product is sold. This simply allows our vendors and company to better identify and track products if there were to ever be an issue with a specific version. There could be delays when uploading and publishing the firmware for different hardware versions, that's why you find the publish date is different for V1.0 and V1.6.

For your purposes, please install the latest firmware for Hardware V1.6 on yours.

Options
Re:Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2
2022-08-26 15:32:42

@Kevin_Z For anyone who has a Gen2 Starlink and AX-90...this totally works.  I tried several other things, starting with the 2.5G connection and couldn't get it to work.  Tried on and off with the bypass on the starlink router...and no luck.  But just moved to the 1GB port and boom!

Options
Re:Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2
2022-09-21 00:31:12

@Kevin_Z 

Solution 2 (Force 100Mbps Full Duplex) works for my AX11000, but I'd really like to see a better solution that will allow me to take full advantage of my hardware.  I'll wait hopefully for a non-beta firmware update.

Thanks for keep this thread alive!  Please continue to do so until we know that there will (or won't) be any further motion towards a better solution.

Options
2022-09-22 01:40:27

@MadManDan 

Thank you very much for updating us that your issue got resolved by forcing the Internet Negotiation to 100M.

Can I know what is the bandwidth you paid for the internet?

Options
2022-09-29 14:14:14

@Kevin_Z It took me way too much troubleshooting before landing on a link to this page via Reddit.

I have the Archer AX6000 and initially was googling for resolutions around the DNS issue specifically. When the router is connected to the startlink gen 2, it does pick up an IP via DHCP along with the correct subnet, gateway, and starlink's DNS servers. But, as others have reported, only google.com was resolving with the DNS. I tried manually updating the DNS servers (they use 1.1.1.1 as the default) to other google DNS servers like 8.8.4.4 but that did not work from the router. I then tried updating my PC's local DNS for the ethernet adapter to use 8.8.4.4 directly and THAT also did not work. I could ping all of the DNS servers (and other IPs) directly but DNS just would not work. This is why I thought it was something to do with the DNS connectivity or configuration. I even backed up my current config and fully reset the router to factory settings just to make sure none of my config was messing it up. But alas, no dice. Nothing would work. I wanted to post this detail in case anyone else find's this troubleshooting beneficial. 

With regard to the fixes on this page:

1. I did not want to try the beta firmware for various reasons including some other's feedback on this post. Plus I was just about out of time to continue troubleshooting.

2. Setting the WAN port to use 100Mbps did indeed work but, as expected, this limited the bandwidth to 100Mbps via a speedtest. I just invested all this money in Starlink to get OVER 100 Mbps in our rural area so this was not a good option. I also invested in the Archer AX6000 after reading a post that said it was one of the best routers FOR starlink in a somewhat complex home deployment. I tried the 1000Mbps setting and it no longer worked. 

3. I did have a TP-Link gigabit switch so I plugged that in, in between the router WAN port and the Starlink port and it did not work at that point. The router was not able to resolve an IP address via the Starlink DHCP. As a side note, when Starlink is NOT in bypass mode (i.e. it is working as a local router), then the AX6000 picks up a local IP without any issues when connected via the switch (i.e. 192.168.100.5). But when Starlink was put into bypass mode thus disabling the Starlink local router, it was NOT picking up the DHCP issued IP from Starlink. When I plugged the AX6000 WAN port directly back into the Starlink router port it DID get the IP from the Starlink DHCP (i.e. 100.113.73.X) but again the internet didn't work because of the DNS issues noted above. I then captured the DNS, subnet mask, gateway and DNS info being issued by Starlink and configured the router to use a static IP WAN setup utilizing this config information. I then reintroduced the TP-Link switch between the AX6000 and the Starlink port with the static IP info intact and everything worked as expected. I am able to clock speeds well above 100Mbps from various devices downstream from the the AX6000. Now, I understand DHCP and if Starlink decides to reissue IPs or my lease ends, etc. etc. I may be having to go through this exercise again. Therefore, I am REALLY hopeful that TP-Link can fix the firmware for this (very expensive) router so that the WAN port works correctly when directly connected to Starlink AND with DHCP enabled. Please keep working on this for us. Thx. 
Options