Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2

Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2

62 Reply
Re:Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2
2022-09-30 08:57:44

@PerrySSP 

Thank you very much for the detailed description about the internet connection issue between the AX6000 and the Starlink.

Can you please confirm how do you configure the settings on the AX6000 now? Are you saying you are using static IP and DNS settings on the AX6000 when it is connected to the Starlink as follows?

Starlink router in bypass mode --- <cable> --- TP-Link gigabit switch ---<cable> --- AX6000

Can I have the model of the TP-Link gigabit switch? How long are the Ethernet cables between the Starlink and the switch and that between the switch and the AX6000?

Would you like to further investigate this issue with our support engineers? If yes, I would like to escalate the case to them, and they will discuss it with you via email.

Options
Re:Cannot Access the Internet when connecting an Archer AX6000/AX11000 to Starlink Gen 2
2022-09-30 16:13:01

@Kevin_Z Happy to provide the details and work with your engineers. 

• Starlink configured in bypass mode (no local router), simple pass through 
  • 1 ft ethernet cable from the Starlink ethernet port to the TP Link switch
  • Model is TL-SG1008D (8 port gigabit ethernet switch)
  • 6 ft ethernet cable from the TP link switch to the TP Link AX6000 Wan port

Here is a picture of the physical setup:

Within the AX6000 router, you are correct, I have used the DHCP-issued settings from Starlink and used them to configure a static IP connection within the router. This is allowing the connectivity to work as expected but obviously I will have issues if Starlink decides to issue a new IP address to my Starlink connection and/or the MAC address on my router. I'm counting on the fact that most ISPs leave those IPs intact for a decently long period of time. Here are my static IP settings for reference: 

Options
2022-10-05 14:26:21
Solution 3 worked for me. I did not download new firmware.
Options
2022-10-06 01:02:26

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the reply, apologies for not getting to this sooner.

I have (am paying for) unlimited from Starlink.  Using Starlink Gen 2's built-in WiFi router functionality, I was getting varying throughputs in the the 150-250 Mbps range, dependent on time of day and weather conditions.  SInce the introduction of the Starlink Ethernet Adapter and the AX11000 router, the maximum I have hit at a client over the last 4 months is 75Mbps.

I am loathe to swap the WAN to port 2, unless there is an alternative for link aggregation - I currently have ports 2 and 3 aggregated and feeding a Cisco managed switch which is configured to accept the aggregate input, which feeds17 downstream wired devices.

I am happy to provide any additional information, if that will help move a fix forward - I did a lot of research before settling on the AX11000, it does practically everything I need and want, it seems odd that the link negotiation between the Starlink and AX11000 would be such a problem.

Options
2022-10-08 05:31:55

MadManDan wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the reply, apologies for not getting to this sooner.

I have (am paying for) unlimited from Starlink.  Using Starlink Gen 2's built-in WiFi router functionality, I was getting varying throughputs in the the 150-250 Mbps range, dependent on time of day and weather conditions.  SInce the introduction of the Starlink Ethernet Adapter and the AX11000 router, the maximum I have hit at a client over the last 4 months is 75Mbps.

I am loathe to swap the WAN to port 2, unless there is an alternative for link aggregation - I currently have ports 2 and 3 aggregated and feeding a Cisco managed switch which is configured to accept the aggregate input, which feeds17 downstream wired devices.

I am happy to provide any additional information, if that will help move a fix forward - I did a lot of research before settling on the AX11000, it does practically everything I need and want, it seems odd that the link negotiation between the Starlink and AX11000 would be such a problem.

@MadManDan Thank you very much for all the detailed information.

Would you like to try the beta firmware that we provided in my original post as for the Solution one? You may then check if installing the beta firmware helps resolve the speed concern.

Options
2022-10-28 17:34:06

@PerrySSP For anyone following along on this thread, I spent about 2 hours with one of the AX6000 support folks last week trying a ton of different things. We began by applying various beta firmware updates to allow them to collect additional data about the issue. I am still running the beta firmware now which has my starlink connected to the LAN port 1. That did get it to work with > 100 Mbps and it generally works with DHCP enabled BUT it takes a long time to get the IP address from Starlink for some reason even when manually clicking the renew button. I am seeing it take several minutes to get an IP vs. my laptop which will get it instantaneously when connected directly. In the end, I've gone back to my static IP setup on the router to avoid this time lag when rebooting. 

Then we moved on to doing some speed tests. With the laptop directly connected to starlink, we were seeing ~120Mbps down but when we ran the same test via the router, we were seeing around 40-70 Mbps down. We switched back and forth repeatedly and even enabled QOS to try and prioritize my laptop when connected through the router. But no luck. The support tech ran Wireshark and captured data for both tests (direct to starlink and via router) and sent them back to the R&D team. In the end we didnt really make any discoveries and we discussed me trying another router. 

With that said I have done a bit more research about routers that starlink customers seem to be recommending and am going to try another brand. I am happy to post updates from my further testing in the coming weeks. My two main goals are having a router that works seamlessly with starlink DHCP in bypass mode AND one that does not degrade the speed (since that was the main reason I got Starlink in the first place in my rural area). More to come. I am quite bummed that this expensive router didn't work with flying colors. I found it as a top recommended router for starlink on some website but I am guessing that was just for click pay. 

Options
2022-10-28 21:45:59 - last edited 2022-10-28 21:57:26

@Kevin_Z ??? All is good so far!

Just wanted to chime in on this problem with the AX6000!!

I bought one on prime day this year,  I got to say I am a little nervous about it.  And afraid to update my firmware even though there is one available for it.  I also have Version 2 starlink   Rectangle not round,  

As far as setup went,

I plugged  router into starlink and computer into ax6000 hit bypass mode on starlink, then accessed router interface and set it to Dynamic IP clicked save and then reboot.  I haven't had any problems out of it at all in that respect, I have as yet to bind the tether or try to update the firmware for fear messing it up!

Also it might be worth mentioning I have been having trouble with getting it registered 

Something about serial number not supposed to be in USA, I don't know bought it at Amazon USA  Just hope they get ther act together, don't have money for replacement,

PS did not use quick setup. 

Options
2022-11-01 07:03:02

@PerrySSP 

Thank you very much for your detailed information about connecting the AX6000 to Starlink network, but sorry to hear that the issue doesn't resolve after working with our support engineers.

As stated in this thread, most of our TP-Link routers can work with Starlink without any issue, and you can also find some of the users in this thread mentioned they can connect the AX6000 or AX11000 to their Starlink network with one of the solutions we provided. If the AX6000 doesn't connect properly to Starlink in your network, I believe there might be something special that has not been found out.

We would appreciate another opportunity to follow up and address your concerns. Please let me know if you are willing to do so.

Options
2022-11-01 07:14:37

Old_Gods wrote

@Kevin_Z ??? All is good so far!

Just wanted to chime in on this problem with the AX6000!!

I bought one on prime day this year,  I got to say I am a little nervous about it.  And afraid to update my firmware even though there is one available for it.  I also have Version 2 starlink   Rectangle not round,  

As far as setup went,

I plugged  router into starlink and computer into ax6000 hit bypass mode on starlink, then accessed router interface and set it to Dynamic IP clicked save and then reboot.  I haven't had any problems out of it at all in that respect, I have as yet to bind the tether or try to update the firmware for fear messing it up!

Also it might be worth mentioning I have been having trouble with getting it registered 

Something about serial number not supposed to be in USA, I don't know bought it at Amazon USA  Just hope they get ther act together, don't have money for replacement,

PS did not use quick setup. 

@Old_Gods Thank you very much for following up on this topic, glad to hear that the TP-Link router works fine with Starlink for you.

Regarding the TP-Link ID registration, I believe you should be able to bind the router to your TP-Link ID now. There was a service outage for our Cloud Server as I replied in this thread.

Please let me know if you can register your TP-Link ID now.

Options
2022-11-02 20:40:10

@Kevin_Z   Thanks for the followup.  I am not really interested in trying beta firmware in this instance, as my current situation works well enough, not just as well as it should.  I'll continue to monitor this issue to see if there's ever an official firmware release.  (I'm not willing to give up my link aggregation, or risk bricking my router as the responsiblity would be on me for trying beta firmware per the tp-link terms of use).

Kudos to @PerrySSP and TP-Link technical support staff for the work done investigating this; although it seems the current state of their efforts - setting Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting to  "Auto Negotiation" yields no functionally different thoughput than setting it to "100Mbps Full Duplex" since no speed greater than 100Mbps was observed.

I am not totally convinced this is all on TP-Link, as I have been following some Reddit threads about Starlink that indicate there may be something funky with the Starlink Ethernet Adapter (required for Starlink v2), although how the adapter would know it's connected to a router versus a client adapter is beyond me.

Thanks again for the effort!

Options