Archer T3U Plus horrendous performance vs T2U Plus on macOS (poorly optimized drivers?)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer T3U Plus horrendous performance vs T2U Plus on macOS (poorly optimized drivers?)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-28 23:15:44
Model: Archer T3U  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have two antennas/adapters, the T3U Plus and the T2U Plus. I was going to sell the T2U until I noticed the horrible performance of the T3U on macOS.

I have the last top of the line Intel Macbook Pro before Apple changed to Sillicon. I run it dual booted on Catalina and Win10. I've installed both adapters on both OS, thoroughly tested them, and noticed how badly optimized the T3U drivers are on macOS.

On Win10, both adapters perform as they should, with the T3U clearly having an edge over the T2U.

On macOS the T2U greatly outperforms the T3U. Even though the overall speeds of both adapters are not as fast as on Win10, the T3U is horrendous, barely half of the download speed of the T2U and about 1/4 of the upload speed.

It's inexplicable. And I can't install any other macOS drivers to test. Only the official ones. The beta drivers don't recognize the adapter, the same as these ones https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Adapter-Clover

What can I do to solve this issue? It seems to be a problem related to drivers, since I can't replicate it on Win10, both adapters work well on that OS, and the T2U still performs as it should on macOS (even if a bit slower than on Win10). But the T3U is not working well on Catalina. Both the normal wifi and T2U perform way way better than the suposedly superior model T3U.

Solutions?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer T3U Plus horrendous performance vs T2U Plus on macOS (poorly optimized drivers?)
2022-07-05 03:50:32 - last edited 2022-07-05 03:51:46

Hello  @suprak 

Thank you for the feedback. May I know the mac OS of your MACbook Pro? 

For macOS  10.15, please ensure you have tested the latest driver 'Archer T3U Plus(UN)_V1_mac10.10_10.15_191204'  here

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-t3u-plus/

Can I know did you test 2.4Ghz wifi or 5Ghz wifi band, you could try to adjust the wifi channel on the main router and see if the speed gets better. 

Options
Re:Archer T3U Plus horrendous performance vs T2U Plus on macOS (poorly optimized drivers?)
2022-07-07 10:50:47

@Solla-topee Of course I tried those drivers, they're the only official ones. That's why I made this thread, in hopes there would be other drivers, but all the other unnoficial and beta drivers I found for Catalina don't work, so I'm stuck with the official drivers, which perform horribly.

And yes, I've tried both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, the results are the same, the difference in performance to the T2U is still considerable.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 945

Replies: 2