Tp Link Router Not Working As Extender After Power Cut

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tp Link Router Not Working As Extender After Power Cut

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:Tp Link Router Not Working As Extender After Power Cut
2022-08-05 07:22:43

@Killwish 

Can we have the wireless and LAN DHCP setup on your ZTE Gpon ont router?

Does the A6 connect to it via 2.4G or 5G? What if you try the other? You can also modify the wireless settings on the ZTE Gpon ont router, such as wireless channel and security.

Meanwhile, what is the current firmware version of the Archer A6? Is it Archer A6(US)_V3_211118? If not, please update the router firmware to the latest.

Options
2022-08-05 10:44:35

@Killwish 

I have updated to the latest firmware and the device gets connected on both bands but as i need to access internet over a large area i am unable to use the 5ghz band. the isp provider has strictly prohibited to change any setting in the onu router as it will change the configuration and the access to the internet.

Options
2022-08-05 10:48:05

@Samwise 

the problem is i need to get internet over a large area so it will not be optimal to use your method over and over again. 

Options
2022-08-15 22:44:09
Hi Kevin, From the web console, the hardware version of the Archer is - Archer A6 v3.0. The firmware version (which was updated last week) is - 1.0.14 Build 20211118 rel.43110(5553). The ISP router info is here: Manufacturer: NetComm Wireless Product Class: NF18ACV Serial Number: 180609500632 Build Timestamp: 190404_1459 Software Version: NF18ACV.NC.Ex-R6B016.EN Bootloader (CFE) Version: 1.0.38-118.3 DSL PHY and Driver Version: A2pv6F039v.d26r VDSL PROFILE: No profile Wireless Driver Version: 7.35.260.64013 Voice Service Version: Voice Uptime: 0D 0H 23M 6S Do the team have one of these Archer V3's in the lab which they can use to test and try and replicate the issue? It seems to be a common problem, it would be great to be able to resolve it instead of having to replace the unit. There is a netgear wireless extender which seems to be working fine when bridged to the same ISP rotuer. When the extender is turned off it has no impact on the Archer's inability to connect to the ISP router following a reboot or power loss. Cheers Sam
Options
2022-08-16 10:58:17

@Samwise 

I am facing the same issue.

btw, Do you know how to access the router settings page while using WDS mode? I am tired of inserting pin in the router to reset it.

Options
2022-08-16 13:43:46 - last edited 2022-08-16 13:56:01

Hi  @dscoder 

I followed the recommendations at this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/440/

But to paste some main points from the link:

" Note:

1. LAN IP of extended router should be different but in the same subnet of the root router;

2. The DHCP Server on extended router should be disabled "

I set my Archer V3's IP to #.#.#.254 (where the #'s are my ISP routers DCHP range)

To add to the above - I also set my PC to a static IP within the ISP routers subnet / DHCP range, and connected to the Archer V3 via ethernet - these two steps may not be entirely necessary, but it works for me and I'm not changing it now.

If you have it setup correctly, following a power outage and/or reboot of the ISP router, you won't have internet access while connected to the Archer V3, but you should still be able to head into the Archer V3 web UI via your browser and refresh the WDS settings, I use '5Ghz WDS' (Advanced > System Tools > System Parameters). For me, prior to the firmware update, all I needed to do was search (hit 'Survey') for wifi networks, and select the same wifi SSID that had been already selected previously, and left the existing saved wifi password, hit 'Save', and in 5 or 10 seconds the WDS bridge was back up with internet access, and all was well again.

Now, following the latest version Archer V3 firmware update, I now seem to also need to disable WDS bridging, hit save, re-enable WDS bridging, hit save, and select wifi SSID etc, hit save, and then 5 to 10 seconds and all is well again. So the firmware update seems to have increased the steps required to repair the WDS bridge, though to be fair it's still more convenient than resetting to defaults.

Again, this is a work-around, not a fix, but it's much more convenient than resetting to defaults and starting again.

Hopefully the TP-Link engineer team can get an Archer V3 into the lab for some testing to try and replicate the issue, and release a firmware update to fix the problem.

Or maybe there will be a new Archer V4 model on the way...

Just to repeat, there is a Netgear extender also bridging to the same ISP router which operates without any issues following reboot/power loss. If I leave the Netgear extender off, this has no affect either way, and the Archer V3 still fails to resume the WDS bridge following reboot/power loss.

Thanks,

Sam

Options
2022-08-17 03:20:36

@Samwise 

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions to login to the web interface of the Archer A6 when it is configured as an extender.

Regarding the WDS issue you are experiencing, I would like to escalate it to our support engineers who will investigate it further and provide a solution, they will contact you via your registered email, please check it later.

Options
2022-08-18 08:27:39

@Samwise 

I can't thank you enough for what you just did. Now I don't have to reset the Wifi, I am saving lots of effort and time.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!

blush

Options
2022-08-18 09:22:57

@dscoder 

No worries mate!

I guess we can keep track of this thread for a firmware update to resolve the issue in the future hopefully.

If anyone else with the same issue is reading, please pop a comment in the thread to let TP-Link support know how common this issue is.

Their team may benefit from some more detail on the issue.

Cheers,

Sam

Options