How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router (or Third-party Router) to Starlink Internet

How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router (or Third-party Router) to Starlink Internet

30 Reply
Re:How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router (or Third-party Router) to Starlink Internet
2022-12-13 03:07:32

MarcusTuck wrote

@Kevin_Z 

I have an Archer AX50 (AX3000) and have the same issue, it keeps dropping the internet connection from Starlink.  I have tried setting the internet negotiation speed to 100 Mbps full duplex, still not working reliably. 

I can get it to work if I install a switch between the Starlink and AX50 but this isn't a great solution.

Is there a solution for the Archer AX50?

@MarcusTuck Are you also using Starlink Gen 2? How about the internet LED on the AX50 when the internet drops? Please confirm if you have a stable connection by connecting a computer directly to the Starlink Ethernet adapter.

If the issue confirmed to be related to the AX50, please email the system log on the AX50 to support.forum@tp-link.com. Be sure to include the behavior when the internet works fine, and after it reconnects.

Options
Re:How to Connect and Set up a TP-Link Router (or Third-party Router) to Starlink Internet
2022-12-13 22:54:56

@Kevin_Z thanks for your reply.  My gen2 (rectangular) dish is actually connected to a gen1 (round) dish power supply.  This allows me to connect to the RJ45 on the power supply to get data.

Yes, the internet LED on the Archer AX50 goes orange with the drop outs.  The same happens with a computer connected directly to the Starlink too.  So I am sure it is an issue with the way the way Starlink works rather than there being anything 'wrong' with the Archer AX50.  

I was hoping there could be a firmware update to handle the strange Starlink behaviour (like the updates for some of the other tp-link routers https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/563220).

I will send a systems log to support.

Options
2023-02-26 18:57:04

Thanks for helping!

Options
2023-03-06 18:25:20

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

Will the "TP-Link OneMesh Archer A6" work with Starlink - Bypass mode, and everything?

Thanks,

Creeper39x 

(People call me Creeper)

Options
2023-03-06 18:34:56

@Creeper39x I ended up putting a small cheap switch between Starlink and my Tp-Link Archer AX50 router.  That fixed the issue for me, shame Tp-Link can't find a software solution for all their router models though.

I have more information on my website: tuckstruck dot net under Starlink then Installing starlink in an rv  Update7

Options
2023-03-06 18:46:36

@MarcusTuck sooooo is the router I said compatible?

Options
2023-03-06 18:53:29
I have no idea, I don’t have one. But going by the thread above and other post on Starlink groups about Tp-link routers, I doubt it.
Options
2023-03-07 06:24:29

Creeper39x wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

Will the "TP-Link OneMesh Archer A6" work with Starlink - Bypass mode, and everything?

Thanks,

Creeper39x 

(People call me Creeper)

Hi @Creeper39x 

Archer A6 should be compatible with Starlink. You can connect it to the Starlink network as per the layout we described in my post.

Options
2023-03-25 08:01:18

@Kevin_Z 

To connect and set up a TP-Link router or third-party router to Starlink Internet, you can follow these steps:

1. Connect your Starlink router to the Starlink satellite dish and wait for it to fully boot up.

2. Connect an Ethernet cable from the Starlink router's LAN port to the WAN port of your TP-Link router or third-party router.

3. Power on your TP-Link router or third-party router and wait for it to fully boot up.

4. Open a web browser on your computer or mobile device and enter the default IP address of your TP-Link router or third-party router in the address bar. The default IP address is usually printed on the bottom of the router or in the user manual.

5. You will be prompted to enter a username and password. Enter the default login credentials for your router. The default login credentials are usually printed on the bottom of the router or in the user manual.

6. Once you have logged in to the router's settings page, navigate to the "WAN" settings section and select "Dynamic IP" as the connection type. This will allow your router to automatically obtain an IP address from the Starlink router.

7. Save your changes and restart your router. Once your router has restarted, it should be connected to Starlink Internet and ready to use.

Note: If you are using a third-party router, you may need to disable the DHCP server on the Starlink router just like we did when we were accessing our website and enable it on your TP-Link router or third-party router. This will allow your router to assign IP addresses to devices on your network. You can find instructions on how to do this in the user manual for your router.

Options
2023-03-25 19:06:56

@BrandonTaylor12 even if you follow all your instructions the Archer will keep dropping the connection unless you install a switch between the Starlink and the Archer.  I was hoping Tp-Link would push out a new firmware to solve this issue like they have for some of their other routers.  

I don't believe the DHCP server can be turned off in Starlink.

Options