What is EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?

2022-08-23 11:18:24 - last edited Hace 2 semanas

You may have heard that TP-Link embraces an updated EasyMesh protocol that allows building a multiple-AP mesh network with certified products from various vendors. It also breaks new ground in the network deployment compared with the previous Mesh standard. In this article, we will talk about what is EasyMesh and how it works with TP-Link routers and extenders.

What is EasyMesh?

EasyMesh is a standard certification launched by the Wi-Fi Alliance, which brings a standards-based approach to multiple AP networks. This kind of Mesh allows devices from multiple vendors to be onboard, configured, and able to communicate with each other to form Mesh Wi-Fi. This brings flexibility, enabling devices from different vendors to work together to increase capacity and effective throughput by forming a smart and adaptable network. Refer to What is EasyMesh to find more details.

TP-Link is committed to the development of EasyMesh products and has launched a series of Wi-Fi routers and range extenders that are compatible with EasyMesh (Full Product List). You can choose a Wi-Fi router with range extenders to form Mesh Wi-Fi, or several Wi-Fi routers to set up the Mesh Wi-Fi. Theoretically, TP-Link EasyMesh will work with any EasyMesh-certified products thanks to the standardized EasyMesh technology. However, EasyMesh networking methods can vary based on the manufacturers, we highly recommend using TP-Link EasyMesh products together to ensure the best performance and full compatibility.

As for the management, unified management via the TP-Link Tether app or web UI is available for TP-Link EasyMesh-compatible devices. The main router will work as the management center. You can set and modify the wireless settings such as network name, password, and advanced features like Access Control and QoS on the router. The router will then synchronize with your extension devices. However, unified management is not guaranteed for devices from other vendors.

Setup Video for TP-Link EasyMesh Devices

What is Wireless Backhaul in EasyMesh?

Wireless Backhaul in an EasyMesh network makes it possible to wirelessly connect two EasyMesh products including TP-Link Wi-Fi Routers and Range Extenders together to build a seamless Wi-Fi network, this benefits both extended Wi-Fi coverage and Wi-Fi network stability.

How does EasyMesh Wireless Backhaul work?

Router - Router Networking

Mesh Wireless Backhaul between Routers

Yes, you hear it right. In an EasyMesh network, now you could define a router as the main router, and easily add a satellite router to boost the Wi-Fi coverage.

EasyMesh enables automatic synchronization of wireless network settings across all the EasyMesh nodes in the network and saves your time of manually setting up wireless SSID and password on a satellite device(s).

How to add a router to an EasyMesh network as a satellite device

Note:

1. It is recommended to connect no more than 3 mesh nodes (2 satellite devices) in a single chain for better wireless performance.
2. A firmware update may be required for some models to support Router - Router Networking.

Router – RE Networking
Mesh Wireless Backhaul between TP-Link Router and Range Extender

The brand-new mesh solution also allows you to add Range Extender as the satellite device which is wirelessly connected to the main router and builds a seamless Wi-Fi network. How to add an extender to an EasyMesh network as a satellite device

What is Ethernet Backhaul in EasyMesh?

In EasyMesh, Ethernet backhaul refers to the use of Ethernet cables to connect multiple mesh nodes in a mesh Wi-Fi network. In a typical mesh Wi-Fi network, multiple mesh nodes are placed throughout a home or office to provide a strong and reliable Wi-Fi signal in every corner. These mesh nodes communicate with each other to create a single, unified Wi-Fi network. This allows devices to seamlessly roam between mesh nodes without experiencing any drops in the Wi-Fi connection.

Ethernet backhaul in EasyMesh takes this concept a step further by using Ethernet cables to connect the mesh nodes, instead of relying solely on wireless connections. By using Ethernet backhaul, the mesh nodes can communicate with each other at faster speeds and with lower latency, compared to using wireless connections, thus you can ensure a more robust and reliable connection between the nodes, resulting in better overall Wi-Fi performance throughout the entire network.

How to Build an Ethernet Backhaul Using Two EasyMesh Routers 

Please note that only some EasyMesh routers support EasyMesh Backhaul for now, you could refer to this thread for the specific information: 

EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW

EasyMesh Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. What TP-Link product will support EasyMesh?
Visit here to check all TP-Link EasyMesh Compatible devices.

Please be aware that certain models will require firmware updates to support EasyMesh, you could pay attention to the subsequent firmware releases on the TP-Link official website.

Q2. Can I use TP-Link EasyMesh products together with TP-Link OneMesh™ or Deco Mesh products?

Yes and No. Wi-Fi EasyMesh, TP-Link OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh are three different mesh Wi-Fi solutions provided by TP-Link. You cannot build a mesh network by mixing TP-Link OneMesh™ routers/extenders with Deco Mesh, but you can build up a mesh system with TP-Link EasyMesh and OneMesh™ devices. In another word, you can still build up a mesh network if you have an EasyMesh router and a Onemesh range extender.

Refer to the QA below for the main differences between EasyMesh, TP-Link OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh.

Q3. What is the difference between EasyMesh, OneMesh™, and Deco Mesh?

From the below chart you could have a general comparison between EasyMesh vs OneMesh™ vs Deco Mesh.

EasyMesh
OneMesh™
 Deco Mesh
Seamless Wi-Fi Network

Working with a different vendor*

-

-

AP Seamless Steering

Band steering (Smart Connect)

Router - Router Wireless Backhaul

-

Ethernet Backhaul

- (Planned & Supported***)

-

AP mode - (Planned***) -
Mesh Protocol Supported

802.11k/v

802.11k/v

802.11k/v/r

Management Methods

Web UI & Tether APP

Web UI & Tether APP

Deco APP & Simple Web UI

Technology

Wi-Fi EasyMesh standardized protocol

TP-Link OneMesh™ Technology

TP-Link Deco Mesh Technology

Products & Compatibility

Check TP-Link EasyMesh products >>

vendors**

Check TP-Link OneMesh products >>

Check TP-Link Deco Products >>

Note :
1. Working with a different vendor*
Certified EasyMesh devices can work with each other, while we highly recommend using TP-Link EasyMesh products together to ensure the best performance and full compatibility.
2. Visit this site to get the EasyMesh Certified Products from multiple vendors*: https://www.wi-fi.org/wi-fi-easymesh-certified-products (from Wi-Fi Alliance®).
3. Planned*** : Kindly note that Planned is not a guarantee, as the plan can be adjusted or changed.

Q4. Will EasyMesh support Ethernet Backhaul?

Yes. EasyMesh will allow building a mesh network via Ethernet Backhaul, and some of the EasyMesh routers have already supported it via a firmware upgrade. 

Visit EasyMesh Routers Support Building an EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW to get more details.

Q5. Can I use TP-Link EasyMesh devices with EasyMesh products from different manufacturers or companies? Are they compatible?

Theoretically, TP-Link EasyMesh will work with any EasyMesh-certified products due to the standardized EasyMesh technology. However, EasyMesh networking methods can vary based on the manufacturers, we highly recommend using TP-Link EasyMesh products together to ensure the best performance and full compatibility.

Visit this blog to know more about EasyMesh: What is EasyMesh?

Welcome to leave your comments below regarding EasyMesh.

Related Articles:

Early Release EasyMesh Firmware for Archer AX55

EasyMesh Routers Support Building an EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW

General Questions about EasyMesh

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:What is Wi-Fi EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?-Solution
2022-12-28 09:09:02 - last edited 2022-12-28 09:09:13

Hello @zexoni70  @CroBo and all,

We are excited to inform you that Archer C80V1/Archer C64V1/Archer A8V1 are supporting EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul now, and we are providing an early-released version of firmware for you in the following thread:

Early Release Firmware Adding EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul for Archer C80/C64/A8

Please download and install this version on your router to build an Ethernet backhaul via EasyMesh between these routers.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:What is EasyMesh and how does it work with TP-Link routers and extenders?-Solution
2023-11-02 06:17:12 - last edited 2023-11-02 06:20:42

Hello @Macrox  @AnyaSkywalker 

Happy News!

We have provided public beta firmware for Archer AX55 V1, which introduces several exciting new functions and improvements to enhance your experience including Ethernet BackhaulEasyMesh in AP modeSatellite Router ManagementDoH&DoTECO Mode, etc.

Please visit the following thread to learn more about these new features, and do let us know if there is anything that comes up with the new beta:

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

We encourage you to try out this beta firmware and take advantage of the following features. Leave your comment or ask questions in the about topic. Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Related Articles:

Product List of Wi-Fi Routers that Support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul

Recommended Solution
Options
106 Reply
Re:EasyMesh Networking: Build Wireless Backhaul between Routers and Range Extenders
2022-08-25 15:13:51

You can build a wireless backhaul between routers and range extenders using EasyMesh networking. This will allow the routers and range extenders to communicate with each other wirelessly, making it easier to expand your network.
Options
Re:EasyMesh Networking: Build Wireless Backhaul between Routers and Range Extenders
2022-09-27 12:50:33

@Kevin_Z How many routers can join easymesh? just two?

Options
2022-09-27 19:50:35
The FAQ says two satellites plus one main (anchor)
Options
2022-09-27 23:30:30

@Davert I think so too, just like onemesh, and IMO this is useless to cover wider area, so whY? If I'm not mistaken deco mesh can have as many as 8 nodes, this is the only mesh that makes sense and reasonable which tp-link has ever created so far

Options
2022-09-28 01:19:29

@Kevin_Z Is EasyMesh already workable? has anyone tried it? can I connect C80 to C64, at least wirelessly right now?

Options
2022-09-28 06:05:12

nyonyo wrote

@Kevin_Z Is EasyMesh already workable? has anyone tried it? can I connect C80 to C64, at least wirelessly right now?

@nyonyo Unfortunately no. EasyMesh is not available at the moment, you may wait and check this site regularly to get the most updated news once a model supports EasyMesh:

TP-Link EasyMesh Compatible devices

As you can see, both Archer C80 and C64 are in the PLANNED list. While planned is not a guarantee, as the plan can be adjusted or changed. It's suggested to purchase once EasyMesh is ready for the model that you wish to buy.

Options
2022-09-28 07:41:36

@Kevin_Z Ok, thanks, I already have C80 and will wait to buy another router to pair.

And I think Tp-Link needs to clarify whether easymesh as well as onemesh devices have to be in the same division, or they work also inter division, I mean decos which are sold in 2-pack or 3-pack are always of the same division, AX1500 or AC1200 etc. but they also work between different class, AC1200 can join AX5400 deco mesh right? so does this inter division network also applies to easymesh and onemesh?

Options
2022-09-28 14:44:36

If wired backhaul really starts working with EasyMesh, it would be great!

C80 is on the pending list, but not the RE305 extender.

Does anyone have more details about the free upgrade? :)

https://www.tp-link.com/my/blog/290/tp-link-wi-fi-6e-will-support-easymesh%E2%84%A2-free-upgrades-for-other-devices-to-follow-/

Options
2022-09-28 23:49:21

Davert wrote

The FAQ says two satellites plus one main (anchor)

@Davert so what's the point of this statement? another confusing and contradicting information?

https://www.tp-link.com/my/blog/290/tp-link-wi-fi-6e-will-support-easymesh%E2%84%A2-free-upgrades-for-other-devices-to-follow-/

No Router Goes to Waste: If you already have an EasyMesh™ compatible access point, you can add as many EasyMesh™ APs as needed. This lets you make full use of your older routers without replacing them

Options
2022-10-01 18:13:29

i buy one router. it work properly but after a month it starts a problem with the connection I don't know why. it does not connect to my mobile and laptop. I am a website designer and i need wifi all the time but this device disturbs me a lot. if anyone knows how I can solve this problem. please tell me. 

Options