RE 550 (AC 1900) Range Extender – No Internet Connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-05 14:46:59 - last edited 2022-09-06 15:44:13
Model: RE550  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0 10 Build 211110 Rel.63782n (6985/8575))

I have a TP-Link RE550 range extender installed at my friend’s home, working with a TP Link Archer VR2800(EU) Ver 1.1 AC2800 Wireless Model Router.

Initially (for several weeks) this combination worked well with just the recommended easy setup required for the new RE550 to provide extended Wi-Fi access to the internet. However, subsequently:

The extender has stopped working, in that: Any device connected via the extender now gets a ‘No Internet connection’ indication.

I can still access the RE550 from its extended Wi-Fi channels but there is a ‘No Internet connection’ for any wireless device (e.g., iPad) if this device is connected via the RE550’s extended Wi-Fi channels. Wi-Fi access to the internet directly from the VR2800 router still works fine.

Using the guidance from comminity.tp-link.com ( https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/198516 ) I have worked through the suggested fixes without success: Cases 1, 2 and 3. I really hoped that Case 3 might provide the answer.

Taking the MAC address of the RE550 (28.87.BA.9E.C6.80) I assigned a static IP address on the Modem Router of: 192.168.1.149 for this address and (although Access-White List is not enabled) added the RE’s MAC address to the router’s Whitelist table also.

These are the VR2800’s server settings:

Guided by the comminity.tp-link.com article (Case 3) I adjusted the RE550 settings to match the router’s entries, as suggested:

i.e.

• RE IP Address set to 192.168.1.149
  • RE’s IP Address pool set within the router’s address pool (but a smaller range, away from any first assigned IP addresses that devices directly connected to the router might pick up)
  • RE’s Default Gateway and Primary DNS set the same as those for the router.

Result: No improvement, still ‘No Internet connection’ for any device connected via the RE550 Extender’s Wi-Fi (2.4GHZ or 5GHZ).

I have tried several pin resets of the RE and re-boots of the router. The firmware on both units is showing as up to date:

(TP Link Extender RE550 1.0: Firmware Version: 1.0 10 Build 211110 Rel.63782n (6985/8575))

(Archer VR2800 v1 00000000: Firmware Version: 0.8.0.0.9.1 v006c.0 220107 RC.39908n)

One oddity is that when I look at Listed Wireless Clients on the VR2800 router it shows 192.168.1.149 but states the MAC Address incorrectly as 2E-97-BA-9E-C6-80 rather than the RE550’s confirmed and correct MAC address of 28.87.BA.9E.C6.80.

And yes, I have tripled checked that the MAC address of the RE550 of 28.87.BA.9E.C6.80 is correctly entered in the reservation table of the router:

I bought the RE550 (via Amazon) on 15th July 2022. I want to get it working correctly again.

Please suggest a fix, or do I need a replacement unit to replace the current unit (which may have failed - since it worked fine for the first few weeks and now does not.)?

Help!

Thanks, Steve Lowry

Options
4 Reply
Re:RE 550 (AC 1900) Range Extender – No Internet Connection
2022-09-07 01:43:30 - last edited 2022-09-08 03:23:35

Hello  @FlyingSLSoft 

Thanks for creating a thorough post. 

Can you share a photo of Range extender Status page after you reinstall the extender and manually configure the DHCP/IP settings for the RE. 

• Just to make sure, after the reset, you have reinstalled the range extender before manually configure the DHCP.  
  • Reboot the wifi router and see if that makes any difference

What are the network devices that have no internet? for IOS device you could manually change the DNS to 8.8.8.8, save the settings and see if it can get internet. 

Does the Wi-Fi LED light up on the extender after the reinstallation,  thank you. 

Options
2022-09-08 03:29:09

@FlyingSLSoft to better assist with your case, we created a support email TKID220908796, please check your email inbox and reply on this email if you need any further help~

Options
2022-09-08 11:23:04

@FlyingSLSoft 

I very much appreciate the suggestions provided on this community and via TP-Link Support.. To keep you informed:

Firstly, temporarily I have moved the RE550 from my friend’s home where this RE needs to work (with her TP-Link VR2800 router) to my own home. I have now tried the RE at my own home with an alternative router (A Netgear N150 / WNR1000) although this router only provides 2.4GHz Wi-Fi), to see if the RE works in-part here, at least with 2.4GHZ only. It does work, providing internet access with both the RE’s 5G_EXT and 2.4G_EXT WiFi extended channels via my Netgear router.

My next step is to return the RE550 to the location where it needs to work - with my friend’s TP-Link VR2800 router.

I do not have access to my friend’s home setup until the weekend, now. At that time I will re-install the RE550 from a hard reset, firstly just entering the minimum recommended configuration necessary (i.e. before manually configure the DHCP.  I will reboot the wifi router (again!) and see if that makes any difference.

If, as I suspect, the RE will still not provide Internet access I will try another RE reset, this time not allowing the RE to connect to the VR2800’s 5GHZ channel - to see if that works (as it does with my Netgear N150 / WNR1000 with only the 2.4GHZ router>RE connected).

After a further full reset, I shall follow the steps that Support requested via one of their emails  – i.e.

• Can you share a photo of Range extender Status page after you reinstall the extender and manually configure the DHCP/IP settings for the RE. 
  • What are the network devices that have no internet? – I have already answered this question via a previous reply: iPad, iPhone and Swann CCTV system as a CAT5 connection into the RE. The RE is primarily intended for use with the Swann system but really ought to work as a Range Extender with all devices!
  • for IOS device you could manually change the DNS to 8.8.8.8, save the settings and see if it can get internet. The RE is primarily intended for use with the Swann system but really ought to work with all devices - This suggested fix would only apply to iOS devices!
  • An Apple Inside link to change the dns server used by my iPhone and iPad. As the ISP (Plusnet) works fine with devices with all non-RE connections to the internet via the VR2800, I suspect this is not a useful step!
  • Does the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi LED light up on the extender after the reinstallation? 

I will email Support with the answers to the questions that these steps request.

In Support's most recent email they suggest I provide a laptop or computer at the VR2800/ RE550's location so that they can remotely access to resolve the problem (if not resolved by any of the above) . This is not possible for a while and then it is not as easy as might be hoped as the VR2800 / RE550 are not at my home. I will need to move my own laptop to my friend’s home at a time convenient to all – I see that only weekdays are suitable for Support. I will need to negotiate a suggested date and time-window with Support should we need to pursue this remote access option..... Case continues!

Options
2022-09-09 07:11:19

@FlyingSLSoft

Thank you for replying with more case details.  Just noticed our support has escalated your case through different support email TKID220905339,

Our engineer will assist father then, hope the case can be sorted out soon.Feel free to let us know how it goes~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 517

Replies: 4