Deco x60 - Ethernet Backhaul not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-15 08:49:10
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20220419 Rel. 42689

Hi TP-Link team

I have just purchased 3-pack Deco X60's and connected them. However the Ethernet Backhaul is not working. I have tried all the suggestions from earlier posts logged here, like changing network cables, connecting the Deco's directly etc except changing the Switch.

The Deco Map shows the below:

The Satellite Deco's show the below that they are in Wireless Backhaul.

The connection in simple terms like below:

And in detailed topology is as below:

Can you please review the above and provide any suggestions if I am going wrong some where?

Regards

Northryder

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco x60 - Ethernet Backhaul not working
2022-09-15 11:22:40

@northryder 

I am not from TP-Link Support, but issues with Ethernet backhaul are usually easy to narrow down, so I might be able to help you. The basics of Ethernet backhaul are provided in the following TP-Link FAQ: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

You said you tried "connecting the Deco's directly" with Ethernet cable - but didn't tell the outcome. In that configuration, were they able to establish Ethernet backhaul? The topology will be the following:

Options
2022-09-15 12:33:58
@Alexandre. I have connected 1-Satellite Deco to the Main Router Deco directly, yet in the Deco App against Satellite Deco I see 2.4GHz/5GHz and not Ethernet Backhaul
Options
2022-09-15 14:51:41 - last edited 2022-09-16 01:29:58

@northryder 

Deco node will automatically use Ethernet backhaul if it can. What you observe points at three possible scenario: problematic Ethernet cable, Deco hardware issues or Deco App not reporting promptly status of link in Signal Source.

But, first: I am assuming you connected Satellite Deco to Main Deco with Ethernet cable directly, not through the patch panel. Can't imagine why patch panel could cause issues, but it should be eliminated from testing.

Here is my recommendation on how to troubleshoot the issue:

Power off all your Satellite Deco. Leave just Main powered on.

Wait till Deco app shows both Satellite Deco offline.

Bring Satellite Deco to Main Deco and connect them by short Ethernet cable. Make sure it is plugged tightly at both ends.

Power on Satellite Deco, wait till it appears in Deco app as online, check its Signal Source.

-------

If Signal Source is not Ethernet, next step:

Power off that Satellite Deco and Main Deco. Plug Ethernet cables to different ports on both Main and Satellite. Your Main Deco now uses different Ethernet port to connect to modem, and to Satellite Deco.

Power on Main Deco, wait till it appears in Deco app as online, check that it is healthy and has Internet connectivity.

Power on Satellite Deco, wait till it appears in Deco app as online, check its Signal Source.

-------

If Signal Source is not Ethernet, next step:

Repeat the same process, but with different Satellite Deco.

-------

-------

If Signal Source is still not Ethernet, next step:

You have now proved it is unlikely to be a hardware issue with Deco nodes, and it is not a reporting issue with Deco app. That strongly points at Ethernet cable(s) you are using.

The final test to confirm it is not Deco hardware: promote Satellite Deco to Main Deco. Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

If after you followed this your new Main Deco can connect to the Internet - it means Deco hardware is fine. 

Options
2022-09-16 00:46:32

Hi  @Alexandre. 

Thank you so much, I am ecstatic to finally get at least One Deco Satellite to Ethernet Backhaul. There One more left which I will work on during th weekend.

I followed the steps mentioned by you while including a few further steps of my own with just One Deco satellite while the other was switched off. Finally I tracked the issue to a wrong port connection in the central Patch Panel in the Garage. I had mistakenly connected ethernet to Port 2 while the Satellite Deco was on Port 6.

In fact the netgear switch GS608v4 being used by me is fine with the ethenet backhaul connections because the Satellite Deco connection is from the switch.

So the main Deco's connection from upstairs comes to the Patch Panel in the Garage to Port 1 (say) and this connection is then fed to the Netgear Switch GS608v4 and the Switch each of the remaning 7-ports in the Patch Panel is connected, so while doing this connection I had mistakenly connected the Satellite Deco which is in Rumpus room with port 6 to Port 2 on the patch panel leading to the issue.

I am sure the 2nd Satellite also has similar issue I just need to check out the port number in the patch panel for the same which I will do over the weekend.

Now the performance is fantastic and lot improved from my earlier configuration of using a Single Archer D7 router for providing both Wifi and wired connections to the entire Double Story house.

I hope your troubleshooting steps would be useful to others as well while my RCA may also prove useful.

Thanks a million again,

Regards

Northryder.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2509

Replies: 4

Related Articles