Deco x20 - 2.4ghz OFF but hidden SSIDs still broadcasting?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-28 02:28:58

Hello,

First time poster here.  

I have eight Deco x20 APs in my home (big house) and use only 5ghz, with 2.4ghz disabled completely (including guest).  Mesh works great on 5ghz, and I love it.  All APs have a dedicated backhaul via Ethernet, and are set to AP mode only.

I have about 40+ IoT devices that use 2.4ghz (mostly  light bulbs or switches, robot vacuum, etc).  I have then connected to a completely single AP (different brand company), which covers the whole house.  I tried 2.4ghz mesh networking on the eight Deco APs and I think it created too much noise and overlapping channels in my house, so the network slowed to a crawl, which is why I turned off 2.4ghz on the completely.

I noticed today while running a wifi frequency channel scanner that there are exactly 8 <hidden network> SSIDs in my home, all pointing/correlating (by MAC address) to the Deco x20s.

Is it normal for the Deco x20 devices to still be broadcasting at 2.4ghz, despite disabling it and having a dedicated Ethernet backhaul to each?

Unfortunately these hidden SSIDs are still creating unnecessary RF noise, and causing some interference to my other 2.4ghz AP.  I have already set the channel on that as far as possible from Deco x20's hidden networks.

is there a way to COMPLETELY turn off the 2.4ghz on the Deco x20 devices?

Appreciate any tips or advice!

Options