Powerline causing home lights to blink

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-22 13:23:02 - last edited 2022-10-24 12:50:03
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've recently purchased a TL-PA9020P kit in order to replace a wifi connection to a server that's in a concrete-walled room. The TL-PA9020P gives much better performance when compared to wifi, however I've noticed an issue.

Randomly, certain lights in my house will flicker briefly. These are low-powered LED lights. I highly suspect it's the TP-Link devices, because the lights stop flickering when I remove the TP-Link devices.

The lights flicker once every 5-10 minutes, but with a very wide distribution -- sometimes the delay in between blinks is just a few seconds, and sometimes it's several minutes.

How can I prevent ths TP-Link device from causing interference with my house lights? Can I place it into a different modulation mode that's less likely to cause issues? Is there any sort of configuration screen for TL-PA9020P devices? What are my options?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Powerline causing home lights to blink-Solution
2022-10-24 12:49:53 - last edited 2022-10-24 12:50:03

For what it's worth, this does seem to be a profound coincidence.

The flashing lights are new, and started about four days ago. I installed the TP-Link device five days ago. The house has had no other changes in the past year.

However, the LED lights are on a completely separate circuit. The first thing I tried was unplugging the Ethernet device, which didn't help. Then I tried unplugging the TP-Link devices, which also didn't help.

The current working theory is that it was 100% a coincidence, and the flashing lights are due to oxidation on the 3-way light switches that go to that circuit. These switches are probably aging, and they are probably leaking. We happened to use one of the two 3-way switches that doesn't get much use, and some of the accumulated dust may have created a partial circuit, allowing the light to energise very slowly.

So in summary: The Powerline device has been behaving well, it was just bad timing that made us think the issue was related to the installation.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Powerline causing home lights to blink-Solution
2022-10-24 12:49:53 - last edited 2022-10-24 12:50:03

For what it's worth, this does seem to be a profound coincidence.

The flashing lights are new, and started about four days ago. I installed the TP-Link device five days ago. The house has had no other changes in the past year.

However, the LED lights are on a completely separate circuit. The first thing I tried was unplugging the Ethernet device, which didn't help. Then I tried unplugging the TP-Link devices, which also didn't help.

The current working theory is that it was 100% a coincidence, and the flashing lights are due to oxidation on the 3-way light switches that go to that circuit. These switches are probably aging, and they are probably leaking. We happened to use one of the two 3-way switches that doesn't get much use, and some of the accumulated dust may have created a partial circuit, allowing the light to energise very slowly.

So in summary: The Powerline device has been behaving well, it was just bad timing that made us think the issue was related to the installation.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 265

Replies: 1

Related Articles