On diagnosing low powerline performance on gigabit capable hardware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-01 04:28:13 - last edited 2022-12-01 04:29:28
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I just bought a set of powerline network adapters. I have a gigabit connection, and all of my hardware is capable of gigabit+ speeds. I confirmed that my specs are capable. Additionally, I have proven that my hardware is capable of gigabit speeds by hardwiring my NAS to my PC, performing GB+ sized file transfers, and happily observing 110+ MB/s speeds (approx 900Mbps). In the photo, you can see my NAS right next to my PC. Using the cat5e from PC => NAS, files can be transferred at rippin fast rates.

Additionally in the photos, one can observe my two TL-PA9020Ps plugged into two adjacent walls, for which the power is on the same circuit.

Replicating the same experiment over this powerline network yields ~1/4 the speeds, 20-30 MB/s. Moving one of the units downstairs, I'm maxing out at much lower than that.

I bought these in hopes to have gigabit speeds on my network, but finding that (perhaps due to environmental conditions?) I am underperforming.

Have you ideas/diagnostics/tools for which I can try and eek out more performance?

Any tips appreciated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:On diagnosing low powerline performance on gigabit capable hardware
2022-12-01 04:42:06

plc app suggests capacity is >> higher than observed. Again, file transfers are max'ing at ~200Mbps, a 7-8x factor difference than the application is claiming.

perhaps the powerline protocol itself is eating up most of the bandwidth?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 196

Replies: 1