Wifi Advise (Access Point vs Mesh network)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-11 20:29:52

I have a 3 floor house with a router (supplied and fitted by my ISP – Hyperoptic) located under my stairs – Not a great location. I have connected the LAN ports on the back on the router to several Ethernet wall sockets which provides a hardwired connection to different rooms throughout the property. This is great however the WiFi signal isn’t great on the 3rd floor.

I know and trust TP link product however I am currently review my options on how to extend the WiFi network. I was thinking that an option would be to buy a TP-Link access point which I could plug in to the live Ethernet wall sockets on the 3rd floor. Im hoping that this would boost the WiFi but also act as a switch for devices that work better hardwired.

Before doing this I am keen to find out if the AP would then require a different SID and password. Also, would this be easy to configure for someone who doesn’t work in IT.

I did look at Mesh Networks however I don’t want to spend the money, as I have a usable wired connect.

I have been looking at Archer C64 and Archer C64 as options as these are in my budget but any guidance would be great. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Wifi Advise (Access Point vs Mesh network)
2022-12-11 23:24:12 - last edited 2023-01-17 17:08:24

@Ashley25 

Archer C64 works great as an AP device - it has an 'AP mode' implemented and gigabit ports as well.

It's newest FW release supports EasyMesh, which you could use in the future, if you decide to build a mesh network.

Regarding SSIDs, you can set them the same as these on your ISP router easily - here's a video guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-01-15 09:39:05

@darailvega7

Options
2023-01-15 09:40:00
@darailvega7
Options
2023-01-15 09:40:24

@Vega2405 

Options
2023-01-15 09:40:52
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 537

Replies: 5