WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55

2022-12-16 09:24:10 - last edited 2023-10-12 09:49:37
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello Everyone,

We are thrilled to announce that we now have officially published the WireGuard VPN firmware for Archer AX55 V1, which we believe you’re going to love it. Please check for the updates on your router web GUI or Tether App for the new firmware, or you can download the latest firmware from the website as follows:

WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55 V1.0 (official firmware updated on 6/9/2023)

How to Configure WireGuard VPN Client on Archer AX55

Please follow the steps below to set up and configure the WireGuard VPN Client on the Archer AX55:

Step 1 Please download the configuration file from your VPN provider.

Step 2 We currently support some basic parameters of the WireGuard configuration file as Pic 1. If the configuration file you are using includes IPv6 address, MTU or many more (example as Pic 2), please edit the file and delete those parameters, then save the file.

Step 3 Visit http://tplinkwifi.net, and log in with your TP-Link ID or the password you set for the router. Go to Advanced > VPN Client.

Step 4 Enable VPN Client, then save the settings.

Step 5 Click Add button in the up-right of the Server List, specify a description for the VPN and choose WireGuard as the VPN type, click BROWSE to import the configuration file provided by your VPN provider, then click SAVE.

Step 5 Check and enable the WireGuard in the Server List, add and enable the VPN Access for the devices that will use the VPN function.

Note: It's NOT suggested to use the same configuration file on multiple VPN Clients simultaneously. You could import the configuration file into your mobile phones as well as the router, but you are not allowed to connect to the VPN server simultaneously based on WireGuard protocols.

How to Set up Archer AX55 as a WireGuard VPN Server

Step 1 On the Web GUI of Archer AX55, go to Advanced > VPN Server, check and enable WireGuard.

Step 2 Click Add button in the upper-right of the Account List to add the profile, then save it.

Note: Each profile can be only used for one device at the same time. If you want to connect 2 devices to the WireGuard VPN server, please create 2 profiles for them accordingly.

Step 3 Export the configuration file on the devices that you want to connect to the WireGuard VPN Server.

a. For smartphones, you can scan the QR Code directly on your WireGuard App.

b. For computers, you can click Export button to export the configuration file, and import it into your WireGuard client.

Other New Features/Enhancements:

1. Added IoT Network.

This allows you to create a dedicated wireless network for the IoT smart devices. You can find it under Advanced > Wireless > IoT Network.

2. Support configuring HomeShield features on Web GUI.

3. Support configuring local DNS servers on WAN/Internet page.

Some users would like to build their own DNS servers within the local network, which was only achievable on the router's DHCP Server settings. Now you can configure it on the WAN/Internet page.

4. Added Access Control feature in AP mode (Security > Access Control).

5. Support retrieving the PPPoE dial-up settings from the old router.

There are cases that you are replacing your old Wi-Fi router with this Archer AX55, and it could be troublesome to set up the internet if you no longer remember your PPPoE username and password. Now this won't be an issue. You can retrieve the PPPoE settings easily from the old router by following the two steps as shown below:

More features and enhancements are waiting for you to explore:

• Added Flow Control ON/OFF switch (Advanced > Network > LAN > Flow Controller).
  • Optimized the Web GUI in AP mode.
  • Optimized IPv6 feature.
  • Optimized UI for USB sharing.
  • Optimized Port Forwarding function.
  • Optimized VPN Client function.
  • Optimized UI for configuring IPTV/VLAN.

Welcome to upgrade and install this beta firmware on your Archer AX55, and feel free to reporting back to us with bugs, faults, errors, and your thoughts on how to improve.

Related Articles:

Wi-Fi Routers that are Planned to support WireGuard VPN

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55-Solution
2023-03-29 05:34:19 - last edited 2023-03-29 05:38:48

Hello @thechez  @Galicia86  

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback in regard to the WireGuard VPN Client speed issue you are experiencing.

I'm excited to inform you that our developers provided a new beta firmware for AX55, which is expected to improve the WireGuard VPN performance. I've just updated the download link in my original post.

Please you may install this new beta version on your AX55 to observe and confirm if it can give you a better connectivity speed when using the WireGuard VPN.

New WireGuard Beta Firmware for Archer AX55

Recommended Solution
Options
109 Reply
Re:WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55
2022-12-22 12:13:24

@Kevin_Z  It's a good news, congrats!

Any news about same feature on ax11000?

Options
2022-12-25 13:14:48 - last edited 2022-12-25 13:27:19

@Kevin_Z 

Works like a charm! My feedback is:

*That after checking Enable wireguard you have to save before adding clients (accounts). Otherwise the web ui reloads.

*For the novice wireguard user i guess that it would be helpful with a tooltip explaining the Allowed IPs (client).

*It does not seem to be possible to edit the Endpoint (server ip or address). I my case i would like to enter public domain name as Endpoint address e.g. vpn.xxxx.se with points to my public (wan) ip. But its not a big deal :)

Are there any bandwidth stats in the ax55?

Options
2022-12-25 13:15:06

@Kevin_Z 

That looks great Kevin! Compliments to the maintenance team. :-)

Do you know if or when Wireguard will be available for the Archer AX 50?

Options
2022-12-29 06:16:56

MayBe88 wrote

@Kevin_Z  It's a good news, congrats!

Any news about same feature on ax11000?

@MayBe88 Sorry, we haven't got an advanced notice that whether or when the Archer AX11000 will support WireGuard VPN. Please keep an eye on the router firmware upgrade page or on your router online upgrades.

Options
2022-12-29 06:30:11

manprinsen wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Works like a charm! My feedback is:

*That after checking Enable wireguard you have to save before adding clients (accounts). Otherwise the web ui reloads.

*For the novice wireguard user i guess that it would be helpful with a tooltip explaining the Allowed IPs (client).

*It does not seem to be possible to edit the Endpoint (server ip or address). I my case i would like to enter public domain name as Endpoint address e.g. vpn.xxxx.se with points to my public (wan) ip. But its not a big deal :)

Are there any bandwidth stats in the ax55?

@manprinsen Thank you very much for the valued feedback. We will make sure all of them go to the development team, and they will consider how to improve them in the future.

Do you want to ask if this version of firmware still supports bandwidth control? Yes, it should already support Speed Limit, which is the same as Bandwidth Control. Please check this thread to check if you can find the Speed Limit option.

Options
2022-12-29 06:32:10

WirelessArthur wrote

@Kevin_Z 

That looks great Kevin! Compliments to the maintenance team. :-)

Do you know if or when Wireguard will be available for the Archer AX 50?

@WirelessArthur Sorry, we haven't got any advanced notice for Archer AX50 either.

Options
2023-01-05 01:01:27

@Kevin_Z 

This update sounds awesome! Is it planned to be available on the AX73? 

thanks

Options
2023-01-05 02:28:02

Ogitaki wrote

@Kevin_Z 

This update sounds awesome! Is it planned to be available on the AX73? 

thanks

Hi @Ogitaki, thank you for showing interest on the WireGuard VPN feature on the TP-Link routers.

I would also post it here in the community forum if we have any advanced news about the WireGuard VPN feature for Archer AX73. Please keep an eye on your router web GUI or Tether App also for any updates.

Options
2023-01-05 08:04:56

@Kevin_Z is it planned for Ax53 router?

Options
2023-01-10 12:08:15

@Kevin_Z 

After installing this update, my Connected Clients list did not show any of the devices on my network and reported an operation error.  Also, the AX55's CPU utilization went to 100% from the 25% to 30% operational range with the previous firmware.  At that point, I reinstalled the previous firmware, without further investigation of the beta release.  Is there any projection when a stable, non-beta version will be released?

Thanks

Options