WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55

WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55

109 Reply
Re:WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55
2023-01-11 06:15:48

Rick2023 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

After installing this update, my Connected Clients list did not show any of the devices on my network and reported an operation error.  Also, the AX55's CPU utilization went to 100% from the 25% to 30% operational range with the previous firmware.  At that point, I reinstalled the previous firmware, without further investigation of the beta release.  Is there any projection when a stable, non-beta version will be released?

Thanks

@Rick2023 Thank you very much for bringing this up to our attention.

The engineering team have been made aware of this issues you are experiencing with this early-released firmware, and they will make sure they are optimized or correct in the official release.

Sorry that there is still no definitive information when the official release would be available yet. It's suggested to pay attention to the router web GUI/Tether app for any new firmware updates. I will also update here on the community once the official firmware is released.

Options
2023-01-11 11:03:03

@Kevin_Z 

As a follow-up, I think I should mention that WireGuard support was not my primary reason for installing the beta firmware.  My primary reason was that I had hoped that it might correct an issue that I had with the current official release (ver. 1.1.6 - 2022-12-08), where the router would drop the Internet connection after about two hours of operation and required a reboot of our cable modem (not the router) to reconnect.  It would then stay connected for about another two hours before requiring another reboot of the modem.  This process repeated over and over until I finally downgraded the firmware.  So, the "previous" firmware that I mentioned in my last message, that I reloaded to replace the beta version, was actually the earlier build from 2022-06-21 (ver. 1.1.1).  That release has been and continues to be stable with no Internet connectivity issues.  I cannot address the Internet connection reliability of the version 1.1.9 Beta release, since the other issues that I mentioned previously prompted me to revert back to version 1.1.1 before operating the router the two+ hours required to test for the presence of the version 1.1.6 connectivity bug.  I hope this additional information is helpful to your engineering team.

Rick

Kevin_Z wrote

Rick2023 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

After installing this update, my Connected Clients list did not show any of the devices on my network and reported an operation error.  Also, the AX55's CPU utilization went to 100% from the 25% to 30% operational range with the previous firmware.  At that point, I reinstalled the previous firmware, without further investigation of the beta release.  Is there any projection when a stable, non-beta version will be released?

Thanks

@Rick2023 Thank you very much for bringing this up to our attention.

The engineering team have been made aware of this issues you are experiencing with this early-released firmware, and they will make sure they are optimized or correct in the official release.

Sorry that there is still no definitive information when the official release would be available yet. It's suggested to pay attention to the router web GUI/Tether app for any new firmware updates. I will also update here on the community once the official firmware is released.

Options
2023-01-14 23:18:12

@Kevin_Z Hello,

update to beta went successfully. I made it only because of Wireguard native support. It is working, but I have a newbie's question. If I leave default Allowed IPs "0.0.0.0/1,128.0.0.0/1" I can connect and have access to my local stuff, but the whole traffic is not going through my home network (external IP stays at it is without connecting to VPN, is not my home one). What should I enter as Allowed IPs so that all traffic goes through the tunnel?

I tried 0.0.0.0/0 which resulted in a lack of Internet connection on the client device.

When I try to enter "0.0.0.0/0,::0/0" as I usually do when configuring Wireguard, a message pops up saying that the data was given in the wrong format.

Options
2023-01-15 00:36:32 - last edited 2023-01-15 06:19:53

I dont have router and cannot test realization wg, but try 0.0.0.0/1 without 128.0.0.0/1

Options
2023-01-15 08:34:20 - last edited 2023-01-15 08:53:02

to3k wrote

@Kevin_Z Hello,

update to beta went successfully. I made it only because of Wireguard native support. It is working, but I have a newbie's question. If I leave default Allowed IPs "0.0.0.0/1,128.0.0.0/1" I can connect and have access to my local stuff, but the whole traffic is not going through my home network (external IP stays at it is without connecting to VPN, is not my home one). What should I enter as Allowed IPs so that all traffic goes through the tunnel?

I tried 0.0.0.0/0 which resulted in a lack of Internet connection on the client device.

When I try to enter "0.0.0.0/0,::0/0" as I usually do when configuring Wireguard, a message pops up saying that the data was given in the wrong format.

OK after playing around with a lot of tries and errors for a while I finally figured out what it was all about and where the problem was. It turned out to be idiotically simple, too trivial to notice right from the start. It turns out that you can't turn on the VPN tunnel and create a peer in one step, because the tp-link software goes crazy in such a case.

You have to do it step by step:

1. Enable VPN Server

2. Check the settings

3. If you would like to have Client Access for Internet and Home Network you need to enable DNS in Advanced Settings

4. And now is IMPORTANT to hit Save button on bottom.

5. After getting a message that everything went successful you can create a peer!

6. You only need to give it a name and change Allowed IPs (Client) to 0.0.0.0/0 (remove completely the value given by default)

7. Check the contents of conf file, export it and you are all set.

EDIT: What is also funny is that on iPhone I need to set Allowed IPs to 0.0.0.0/0 for everything to work properly, but on Windows for example this needs to be set as 0.0.0.0/1, 128.0.0.0/1

Options
2023-01-18 12:21:55
And for V2 ?
Options
2023-01-18 13:43:23

@Lilouz Is there a V2 version of this beta software?

Options
2023-01-18 14:14:57 - last edited 2023-01-18 14:15:32

@to3k  For the Archer AX55 V2

Options
2023-01-18 14:48:17
Please write more clearly because I don't understand what's going on.
Options
2023-01-18 14:57:58

@to3k Here on the first page it's mentioned Archer AX55 V1.

And my question is: Will it have an update for Archer AX55 V2

Options