Deco X50/X55 V1/V1.2/V2 with VPN/Static Route/MTU

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X50/X55 V1/V1.2/V2 with VPN/Static Route/MTU

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
172 Reply
Re:Deco X50/X55 V1 1.2.0 with VPN/Static Route/MTU
2023-03-31 16:25:27

@Mbauer5 @Dan1 Hey guys, just a quick update from todays troubleshooting re the VPN client issue.

The engineers spent at least 5 hours with me on a remote session to try and identify the issue. The support team think they have identified an issue and are trying to recreate in their labs.

We were troubleshooting OpenVPN issues, numerous issues detected, like the Deco not understanding some of the commands from the config file. Also the routing table was not updating to provide the client with an exit path via the vpn. Also there's an issue with the Keep Alive packets, the remote server thinks we are not responding and disconnects us. The Deco client then opens a new connection back to the VPN server, successfully connects but the routing table on the X50 doesnt update, which will give the client connection an incorrect path.

Also the IPTables do not update to allow the client out via the VPN as the VPN IP details have changed and not updated the IPTables (firewall) on the router.

I now have access to the console and will continue to troubleshoot, but this could take a while frown

The engineers have access to my system for the next week to try and identify a one fix solution

Fingers crossed!

ian

Options
2023-03-31 16:30:16

@Ian_D 

Ian for President!

Options
2023-03-31 16:34:37

@Mbauer5 Are you trying OpenVPN or L2TP?

Under my testing, both have the same issues.

i would like to know if anyone has any VPN working at all. Maybe someone that does, can share a config file with me so i can run the settings through this debug build

Options
2023-03-31 16:41:20

@Ian_D 

I am using (trying to use) OpenVPN. As FYI I have the "0301" firmware.

Mark

Options
2023-03-31 16:52:29

@Mbauer5 ok thanks.

I suspect the VPN shows connected on your phone app, but when you add a client they cant connect to the internet right?

If you go out of that screen and go to static routes, do you notice the vpn route IP changes? (this may take some minutes to change)

Even though your provider is different than my two, we probably have the same issue, meaning it's not limited to a few VPN providers. From what i can see by chopping my config file down to the absolute minimum config its a deco prob and not the VPN server.

Options
2023-04-01 12:10:12 - last edited 2023-04-01 12:14:16

@Ian_D 

Went ahead, bought an X50 v1.  Got an upgrade available notification in the app, upgraded to 1.2 without issue.  Chained with the main X60 creating a new Wi-Fi network.  Now struggling with an OpenVPN setup.

seed4me PPTP worked right away - just type in username, password, and the specific VPN server address from the ir list, but in my case it's too slow.  And they say PPTP is the least secure (not that I care in general and for Netflix streaming in particular).

Am currently banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to set up any service using OpenVPN.  All the tp-link router tutorials assume an Archer router, not a deco.   Where do you guys get the basic config file to edit and upload to the Deco?  Is that supplied by the VPN service people?  If I specify a tp-link router, will the config file supplied by the VPN provider work with ANY model tp-link router, Archer AND Deco?

Options
2023-04-01 12:18:05
Thanks, David, bought an X50 v1, connected to a satellite X60 in router mode, all good, no issues. Got it working with a PPTP service. One of my questions is, will the other two Ethernet sockets get the VPN service for a wired connection to the target smart TV, or are they pre-VPN, with VPN available via wi-fi connection only? Thanks
Options
2023-04-01 14:31:10

@Muscovite it appears your VPN provider seed4me only supports PPTP or L2TP. L2TP is the better choice out of the two as it is more secure. 

Choose the L2TP option on the APP and enter the server details, VPN username and password, the shared key is " seed4me"  then you should be good to go.

For OpenVPN, yes you are correct in that the sever provider will typically supply a config file based on the server location of your choice. Getting that config on to the router is a real pain, as the router will only accept the config file via the APP. I will explain that if you need the info.

Good luck

Options
2023-04-01 15:13:01

@Ian_D 

Yes, the Deco app shows I am connected to my service's VPN server.

I don't understand your reference to how to see the static route. Where do I see that, is it in the Deco app somewhere?

Thanks,

Mark

Options
2023-04-01 15:30:48

@Mbauer5 Yes its under the Advanced Section, theres an option called Static Routing, once in there click system routes at the bottom of the app. It shows all the current routes and will show the route IP for the VPN interface.

Dont need to post the IP info here, would be interesting to see if your VPN IP changes often. It will be listed as Network Destination on the VPN interface

Options

Tags

Official VPN
Static Route/MTU