Deco X50/X55 V1/V1.2/V2 with VPN/Static Route/MTU

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X50/X55 V1/V1.2/V2 with VPN/Static Route/MTU

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
172 Reply
Re:Deco X50/X55 V1 1.2.0 with VPN/Static Route/MTU
2023-03-26 23:06:51

@David-TP Hi, I just buyed a Deco X55, but I don't have VPN option, how I can check what version of that deco I have

Options
2023-03-28 01:21:52

@F00Bar 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The IoT network is not separated from the main network and It is still untagged.

It is planned to support the IOT network on other Deco as well and the ETA is still not clear yet.

@aragnacl You could check the hardware version on the product label, such as:

How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-03-28 06:17:02

@Muscovite 

Proposed setup:

(ISP Modem) -> Deco X60 Router -> (ethernet backhaul) ->  a Deco X60 Satellite -> ethernet cable -> Deco X50 (VPN) -> Smart TV via Wi-Fi or Ethernet

I do not want to route all my traffic through the VPN, but would rather setup a new VPN-only Wi-Fi Network by configuring the new Deco X50 to use a VPN service.

---------

Answer:

Deco X50 1.2.0 does not support VPN feature in Access Point mode so you might need to set it up individually in Wireless router mode. In this way, Deco X50 will create a second Mesh network.

Best regards.

Options
2023-03-28 12:53:29

@David-TP 

I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the "VPN client" feature to work. I am using ExpressVPN, I traded messages with @Dan1 who is trying to use the feature with Nord.

In both our cases, the router indicates it has made a connection to the VPN service, but no internet traffic flows.

I have sent router debug logs to TP-Link support, they told me the logs show the connection has been made, but they cannot determine why traffic is not flowing.

So my question is, has anyone successfully used the new firmware to establish VPN client in the router?

Thanks,

Mark 

Options
Re:Early Release VPN/Static Route/MTU Firmware for Deco X50/X55 V1
2023-03-28 17:38:36

@Mbauer5 @Dan1 , I have the exact same issue and my provider is different than both of yours.

I have a slot on Friday morning with a tech from TP to remotley connect to my router to run some debugging.

Looking at the logs, I suspect the routing table is not being updated correctly so the clients added do not know the route to connect to the internet.

When you connect the router as a client, if you look at the static route on the app, you will see a VPN route, but the route does not look correct in the logs.

Without the ability to SSH to the router, its very tricky to troubleshoot.

Lets hope we can shed more light on it on Friday.

Fingers crossed

Options
Re:Early Release VPN/Static Route/MTU Firmware for Deco X50/X55 V1
2023-03-28 20:06:01

@Ian_D 

Thank you for this info. Do please update the forum with your findings!

Thanks,

Mark

Options
2023-03-29 13:31:17

@David-TP 

Hi,

I'm using my Deco X50 with V1.2.0 firmware!

I'm facing some issue with Parental Control where I cannot block any "Content Filtered". If I check  the "social media", "media" in order to block these kind content.. nothing happens.. still able to navigate in any site (facebook, tiktok, netflix, disney +, Dgo, etccc) that are supposed to be blocked!

On the Deco M5, it usually worked perfectly, but not on the Deco X50!

Is there any issue?

Thanks in advance!

Options
2023-03-29 14:14:39

David-TP wrote

@Muscovite 

Proposed setup:

(ISP Modem) -> Deco X60 Router -> (ethernet backhaul) ->  a Deco X60 Satellite -> ethernet cable -> Deco X50 (VPN) -> Smart TV via Wi-Fi or Ethernet

I do not want to route all my traffic through the VPN, but would rather setup a new VPN-only Wi-Fi Network by configuring the new Deco X50 to use a VPN service.

---------

Answer:

Deco X50 1.2.0 does not support VPN feature in Access Point mode so you might need to set it up individually in Wireless router mode. In this way, Deco X50 will create a second Mesh network.

Best regards.

@David-TP So, x60 'main' in router mode then x50 in router mode? Any issues with two consecutive routers? Double NAT?

Options
2023-03-30 03:10:07

@chls_84 

Hi, would you please send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com with the following details:

1. The tested media websites that could not be blocked via the "social media" category.

2. Would manually "block" these sites under insight history help?

3. If you add one more client to the same parental control profile, would it have the same issue?

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-03-30 15:01:20

@David-TP 

Hi Thanks!

Just sent email to support as you recommend!

And here is the answer!

1. The tested media websites that could not be blocked via the "social media" category.

youtube, facebook, instagram,tiktok..etc.

Adult contents even blocked in categories.. can be accessed!

2. Would manually "block" these sites under insight history help?

Didn't help much, inserted www.youtube.com... and was able to navigate!

3. If you add one more client to the same parental control profile, would it have the same issue?

Same issue, even creating other perfil!

Thanks in advance!

Options

Tags

Official VPN
Static Route/MTU