Router or AP mode for Deco M4

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-08 14:51:12 - last edited 2023-01-13 12:20:17
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone, happy new year first of all!

So after having been in contact with the tp-link support, I still don't understand fully what I have to do to make sure my problem is fixed:

Here is my network setup:

1x Router with 4 Ethernet port outputs

3x Deco M4

When I bought the Deco's, they were initially connected in ROUTER mode, and they were communicating in WiFi with each other as shown on the Deco App (no Ethernet backhaul).

I have recently discovered that it'd be better to wire all of my Deco's in order to have the same WiFi speed through my house. So I have changed to ACCESS POINT mode and connected everything as follow:

• Main Deco (Garage) <---> Ethernet <---> Router (Garage)
  • Deco Satellite 1 (Living room) <---> Ethernet <---> Router (through wall plugs, not directly on router)
  • Deco Satellite 2 (Upstairs) <---> Ethernet <---> Router (through wall plugs, not directly on router)

Additionally, my Main Deco output #2 goes to my PC (through Ethernet wall plug) and Deco Satellite 1 output #2 goes to a Hue Bridge.

The WiFi Meshing works very good, speed tests around the house show 330-350 Mbps (max 400 Mbps subscription).

However here is the problem: I suffer from network dropouts very often (every 2-3 days, randomly). 

From what tp-link support said, it's because network loop are created due to my Deco Satellite being wired to the Router (through wall plugs).

So my questions are:

• Q1: Do I need to use Router or AP (like it is now) as a mode to generate a WiFi signal directly from each Deco rather than extending the Router one? I imagine that provides better speed
  • Q2: tp-link suggested to create a "Daisy" or "Star network"; what's the concrete difference? Does it mean that according to my setup I should buy a switch?

According to this thread: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/ ---> Q.2.3 with AP mode, Satellites Deco can be wired to Main Deco OR Router so I am lost... 

Thank you very much!!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Router or AP mode for Deco M4-Solution
2023-01-09 00:34:30 - last edited 2023-01-13 12:20:19

@Philbert 

Hi! Thanks a lot for the time you took to answer!

However I need to clarify some things because I see we are not on the same page:

• I do not use any homeplug. What I meant is that I use the Ethernet outlets of my house (which are basically brand new since the house was built 3 years ago).

• I do not see the point of connecting Decos in Daisy chain (so one to another) - this way they have to be next to each other which is not what I want, since I like to have them in separate rooms to cover my whole house with WiFi meshing.

So I think the best (let me know if you agree) is that I buy a switch and plug it into a Star chain configuration - and use AP mode. This way I ensure to have coverage everywhere with the same speeds (which indeed matters to me).

Thanks again, let me know what you think!

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-09 20:21:57 - last edited 2023-01-13 12:20:17

@LucasCrlt 

Hey

No worries, some replies below   :)

• I do not use any homeplug. What I meant is that I use the Ethernet outlets of my house (which are basically brand new since the house was built 3 years ago).

Ah got you now.. just used to the term Wall Plugs referring to HomePlugs.    Cables are good :)

• I do not see the point of connecting Decos in Daisy chain (so one to another) - this way they have to be next to each other which is not what I want, since I like to have them in separate rooms to cover my whole house with WiFi meshing.

Daisy chaining doesn't mean right next to each other.. Its just the pattern they are linked in via the cable.   Example.  Deco1 is in your living room, plugged into your wall port (ethernet) which goes all the wall up to your Bedroom where it comes out again and into Deco2.   The Decos are in totally separate locations with perhaps 100m of cable and wall ports between them.. but as they are connected Deco 1 into Deco 2 "directly" its a daisy chain.    If both where connected to a switch however, it would be a star as the Switch is the centre of the star

This is a Daisy Chain, as despite the decos being in different locations, they are still cabled directly overall

This however is a star.   The Decos all go back to one central point (the switch)

Hopefully that makes some sense? 

So I think the best (let me know if you agree) is that I buy a switch and plug it into a Star chain configuration - and use AP mode. This way I ensure to have coverage everywhere with the same speeds (which indeed matters to me).

If you want max speed, then yes AP mode is the one for you.   Get yourself a switch and plug EVERYTHING into it, even the router.  Again only one cable from Router to switch is needed.  Disable the Router WiFi as its no longer useful to you

This is what you are after here

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Router or AP mode for Deco M4
2023-01-08 20:39:18

@LucasCrlt 

Hey and Welcome!

Hopefully I can churn some answers for you :)

So my questions are:

• Q1: Do I need to use Router or AP (like it is now) as a mode to generate a WiFi signal directly from each Deco rather than extending the Router one? I imagine that provides better speed

Ok.. When using Deco turn off the router WiFi as it wont MESH / ROAM with the Deco.   Deco is a replacement for the router WiFi, not an extender if that makes sense :)  Your router will only provide internet access, no WiFi.

In answer to your question, its really your choice if honest!   If max speed is your thing then AP mode (more below) however Router mode is what most of my customers use as its a more accomodating setup.  Speeds will be slower on the Nodes using Router mode, but if you are happy enough with that then its generally the better option imho.

• Q2: tp-link suggested to create a "Daisy" or "Star network"; what's the concrete difference? Does it mean that according to my setup I should buy a switch?

According to this thread: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1794/ ---> Q.2.3 with AP mode, Satellites Deco can be wired to Main Deco OR Router so I am lost... 

OK so the 2.3 figure you mentioned is stating one thing, basically, in Router mode ONLY the main deco can be connected to the ISP Router, everything comes after it.   In short the ONLY cable coming from your ISP Router should be plugged into the Main Deco.. after that you can plug in whatever you want :)

So you have one cable coming from your ISP Router, its going into Main Deco Port 1.  In port two you can do any of the following

1.  Plug in another Deco via cable (that is daisy chaining), its literally Deco to Deco via the LAN ports

2. Plug in a switch (Star Network, kinda).  This will give you 4-24 ports to play with and plug anything you want in (including other Decos)

3. Plug in a PC / Laptop / Client device

Basically whatever you do, when in router mode don't plug anything into the ISP router other than the Main Deco.    The Main Deco is the focal point everything will go through to get to the internet so everything hangs off its second LAN port (or its WiFi)

Unless you really need the extra ports, don't bother with a switch..  just plug the next Deco into the LAN port 2 of the Main Deco (Daisy Chain)

Access Point Mode is the opposite, instead of the Deco being a Wireless Mesh.. it switches to a series of APs that talk to eachother over the cable.   For this reason you dont need a Main Deco (there is no main) as all are equal.  Disadvantage, it needs cables ran! 

That brings me to my main point, home plugs!   They are not great I have to be honest and this is likely the main source of your issue.   If you really really need to use them...

In AP Mode, plug into the ISP router

In Router Mode, one plugged into Port 2 of the Main Deco.. dont connect these to the ISP router in "Router" mode

My honest opinion.. Router mode is going to be easier for you all round.  yes its not as fast on the 2nd and 3rd node.. but it should still be quick.  If speed is really your main concern, ditch the home plugs and run a cable OR the faster X Range Decos

HomePlugs will cause you massive issues, they are temperamental at best.  Been doing this 15 years and spent more time removing them for such issues! 

Options
2023-01-09 00:34:30 - last edited 2023-01-13 12:20:19

@Philbert 

Hi! Thanks a lot for the time you took to answer!

However I need to clarify some things because I see we are not on the same page:

Thanks again, let me know what you think!

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-09 20:21:57 - last edited 2023-01-13 12:20:17

@LucasCrlt 

Hey

No worries, some replies below   :)

Ah got you now.. just used to the term Wall Plugs referring to HomePlugs.    Cables are good :)

Daisy chaining doesn't mean right next to each other.. Its just the pattern they are linked in via the cable.   Example.  Deco1 is in your living room, plugged into your wall port (ethernet) which goes all the wall up to your Bedroom where it comes out again and into Deco2.   The Decos are in totally separate locations with perhaps 100m of cable and wall ports between them.. but as they are connected Deco 1 into Deco 2 "directly" its a daisy chain.    If both where connected to a switch however, it would be a star as the Switch is the centre of the star

This is a Daisy Chain, as despite the decos being in different locations, they are still cabled directly overall

This however is a star.   The Decos all go back to one central point (the switch)

Hopefully that makes some sense? 

If you want max speed, then yes AP mode is the one for you.   Get yourself a switch and plug EVERYTHING into it, even the router.  Again only one cable from Router to switch is needed.  Disable the Router WiFi as its no longer useful to you

This is what you are after here

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-13 12:20:12

@Philbert 

Hi! 
So we bought a switch and we plugged everything like you said at the last paragraph (everything INTO the switch) except for the 2 PC that we plugged into the modem (we did not have enough outputs on the switch.. we should have bought one with 8 iof 5.. our bad).

I hope this will not cause interference - shouldn't because most of the time PCs are turned off.

WiFi from router is OFF (we did that already in the beginning). 

For now everything works good, speed in WiFi almost at max provider speed. 
So thanks for your tips and the time you took!!

Options
2023-01-22 21:36:56

@Philbert 

Hi again!

Well, after almost a full week without interruption, tonight was the time again.

I really don't understand why. I followed exactly the configuration you told me to take as follow:

ISP Router (VOO - Belgium) -------- Switch ------ Deco 1

------ Deco 2

------ Deco 3

------ PC 1

------ PC 2

If I understand well in AP mode, only my router provides DHCP. Could it be the reason for a bug? It seems to enter network loop again. Is there anyway to prevent that?

Thanks a lot!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1095

Replies: 5

Related Articles