Is XE75's 6Ghz compatible with M5 for wireless backhaul?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-14 09:51:50
Model: Deco M5   Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello all!

My current set up consists of a bunch of Deco M5 and M4, with an M5 as the main. I am planning to upgrade (either X60, X68, or XE75) but will be leaving the M5 and M4 in the network.

My question is: for a mesh with wireless backhaul, if I set XE75 as my main (which is a tri band Deco with an additional 6Ghz), will I see any improvement with the performance of M5 and M4 considering that they're just dual band and isn't capable of 6Ghz? Would it be better if I just use X68 which is also tri band but has a "compatible" 5Ghz as it's third band?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Is XE75's 6Ghz compatible with M5 for wireless backhaul?
2023-03-15 03:24:48

@redgate Hi,

Deco M5/M4 could not use 6ghz Backhaul of Deco XE75.

Is there any specific reason that you wish to update to WiFi 6 or 6E? like ISP has updated the internet speed to more than 1G?

If the mobile clients are also WiFi 6 or 6E compatible, they could get a higher network speed from XE75/X68,  but would stay almost the same when they are connected to Deco M5/M4.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Is XE75's 6Ghz compatible with M5 for wireless backhaul?
2023-03-16 09:44:12

Hi @David-TP, thanks for the reply!

As I mentioned, my current set up is a bunch of Deco M5 and M4, with an M5 as the main. For some reason, my main M5 ends up serving most of the clients. Since it's also running on wireless back haul (thus sharing the bandwidth with the front haul), I'm thinking of upgrading the main Deco to a newer and more powerful model. I'm leaving some of the M5 and M4 as satellites since they are only sporadically used.

The reason I'm considering XE75 and X68 is that since they are tri band models, I was thinking that they will help with the performance of the main Deco. However, I'm not sure that with a mix of M4/M5 and tri band Decos, will M4/M5 be able to use the tri band Deco's third band for back haul communication? I ask this specifically for XE75 since its third band is 6 Ghz, my thinking is that the M4/M5 will use the 5 Ghz for backhaul and thus ending up still sharing the bandwidth with the front haul.

If this is true, then will my use case be better served by X68 which has 5 Ghz as the third band? Will M4/M5 automatically use X68's third band for back haul communication (and leave the other 5 Ghz for front haul)?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 526

Replies: 2

Related Articles