New Deco M4 not seeing network printers connected via swtch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-10 16:24:08
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.6 / 20221229

I had until yesterday a Netgear Orbi setup with two satellites but the router got zapped by a lighting storm. I installed today this new Deco system with 2 satellites and not only is it abominably slow compared to the Orbi, it does not see the two attached network printers connected to a switch (which obviously is connected to the Deco router. I have checked the IP addresses and they haven't changed from the Orbi setup. Any thoughts on why so slow and why no printers?

Options
10 Reply
Re:New Deco M4 not seeing network printers connected via swtch
2023-05-10 17:04:24

@Kryten602 

The switch wouldnt have been affected by the strike also?    Have you tried connecting the printer directly to the Deco to see if it pulls and address that way?

This should just work as you say

Options
2023-05-10 17:34:10

@Philbert Thanks Philbert. The switch is in a different room entirely and my iMac plus another computer and other devices through another switch are all working fine. I will try connecting one of the printers to a satellite first and see if that works. Good idea though and I will report back.

Options
2023-05-10 18:06:13

@Kryten602 

You could try a reset on the printer network if that is possible?  I know some HP printers allow that via the LCD screen interface.    However usually if set for DHCP they just pull the new one, could well be sticky.

If its still holding the same address when on the deco direct, make sure its not set itself for manual with the last IP it had.  Had that once or twice!

Options
2023-05-10 18:19:46 - last edited 2023-05-10 18:20:44

@Philbert Yes, good point. The HP is a 1320n and is so old it doesn't owe me anything. The colour Kyocera FS-C5250DN is the one I would like to use. It was set to a fixed IP (by me) as the Orbi kept assigning it a different IP overnight. So I fixed it at 192.168.1.17, I have now set it to Auto IP but because the Deco router doesn't see it, it hasn't changed.

The Deco is something like 192.168.68.1

Connecting the printer directly to a satellite didn't work unfortunately, even after restarts, reboots etc., etc. Tomorrow I'll try direct into the Deco router...... Stay tuned for more exciting updates.....

Options
2023-05-11 07:48:38

@Kryten602 

Hi,  welcome to the community.

I used to see feedback that some clients are online and working properly, but they did not show up on the Deco APP. So for these two printers, are they working properly and able to get an IP from Deco or they could not get a new IP and could not print either?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-11 09:47:53

@Kryten602 Hello I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your new Deco system. There could be a few reasons why the system is slow and not recognizing the network printers. Let's tackle these problems one by one.

1. Slow speed:
  • Placement: Make sure the Deco units are placed optimally within your home. Ideally, they should be in open spaces and not blocked by any objects. The distance between the units should also be considered; they should be close enough to provide a strong signal but not too close that they interfere with each other.

• Interference: Check for sources of interference nearby. This can include other electronic devices, such as microwaves or cordless phones, as well as physical obstructions like walls or furniture.

• Firmware updates: Ensure that the Deco system is running the latest firmware, as this can often resolve speed issues. You can check for updates in the Deco app.

• Internet connection: Test the speed of your internet connection by connecting a device directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable. If the speed is still slow, it may be an issue with your ISP or modem.

1. Network printers not being recognized:
  • Restart: Power cycle the Deco system and printers. Unplug the power from each device, wait for 30 seconds, and then plug them back in. This can help resolve connectivity issues.

• Deco app settings: Check the Deco app to ensure that the printer settings are correct. You might need to enable printer sharing in the app settings.

• IP addresses: Verify that the IP addresses of the printers are within the same subnet as the Deco system. If they are not, you may need to manually configure the IP addresses on the printers to match the Deco system's subnet.

• DHCP settings: Ensure that the Deco system is set to act as the DHCP server. This will allow the Deco system to assign IP addresses to devices on the network, including your printers.

• Switch: Check the switch that connects your printers to the Deco router. Make sure it is functioning properly and that all cables are securely connected.

If you've tried these troubleshooting steps and are still experiencing issues, consider reaching out to TP-Link support for further assistance. They may be able to provide more in-depth troubleshooting or determine if there is a hardware issue with your Deco system.

Options
2023-05-11 09:57:26
Thanks David. They are both fully working printers but because the Deco doesn't see them they have their original IP's that were assigned by the expired router. The Kyocera had a fixed IP but I have changed that on the control panel to Auto. None the less they haven't changed. I have tried restarting the Deco, the TP Switch, tried adding new printer on the Mac but it doesn't see them and it's no good entering their IP's as they are as the Mac cannot set them up at all. The only thing yet to try is Philbert's suggestion of plugging a printer directly into the Deco router. I have tried that with a Deco satellite but it still didn't see it, despite restarts etc.
Options
2023-05-11 12:48:03

@dollarshop01 Thanks Dollarshop. The first problem about speed has been solved by my ISP, who says we have a fault on our line somewhere and they're coming out to fix it. The second printer related problem, I have fixed by resetting both printers to factory defaults, restarted everythi9ng and they popped right up.

So thanks to everybody who responded, I really appreciate it.

Options
2023-05-11 21:58:44

@Kryten602 

Happy days

Glad you got sorted!     Sadly I have seen that before where the printer is sticky to old addresses, its sadly not that uncommon and was a plague of my last position with Dell Printers specifically.

Options
2023-05-11 22:04:13
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 10

Related Articles