Guest Network Unreliable, Often Unable to Connect Clients.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-14 17:50:27 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:18:12
Model: Deco X73-DSL   Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.7 Build 20230209 Rel. 77189

Hi,

I have a  network with a DECO X73 connecting to my internet (FTTC). I have 3 Deco X60s, 2 connect to the X73 using Ethernet. The last connects to the Mesh using WiFi.

When using the network I have had all sorts of issues getting devices to connect to the WiFi. I have narrowed it down a little, but for some devices (not all), I am unable to connect to the Guest WiFi. 

Devices that will connect are Windows 10 PCs, XBox

Devices that had never successfully connected for more than one session are devices such as TVs, (In particular a pair of JVC TVs that are approx 5 years old).

Today my Samsung S10 mobile stopped connecting to the Guest Network. (even though it has been fine for the rest of the week).

What is most frustrating is that connecting to the main WiFi seems to work every time for all the devices, but not the Guest Network.

I really need the Guest network as we often have guests stay and I don't want them to be able to access the part of the network the we use for Work.

Is there something I could try to make it more reliable?

(I've seen similar problem on this forum on an older router, but that was resolved by a firmware update... my systems are reporting that they are on the latest).

Cheers,

Stu.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Guest Network Unreliable, Often Unable to Connect Clients.
2023-05-16 11:18:26

@spw24 

Hi, would there be any error message when the Samsung S10 mobile failed to connect to the Guest network?

Could you please help me run a simple test:

1. temporarily unplug the Deco X60 from the Mesh network, and leave the main Deco X73-DSL only.

2. then check whether Samsung S10 could connect to the guest network of Deco X73-DSL.

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Guest Network Unreliable, Often Unable to Connect Clients.
2023-05-16 18:44:24

@David-TP thank you for responding!

There aren't error messages with Android for this,  the password is accepted but eventually it just gives up trying to connect and reconnects to the other WiFi. If I deliberately enter an incorrect password then I do get an error for that. It is as though it is just failing to allocate an IP address to the device. 

I was able to connect my s10 after rebooting the network. (I did that before I saw your reply).

My issue is that it is unreliable for most devices and doesn't allow some devices to connect to the Guest Network, even though they can connect to the primary WiFi...

... and then there are a few devices that won't connect to either (but they're older so that is less of a surprise).

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 343

Replies: 2

Related Articles