DECO M5 Guest Isolation doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-21 07:25:23 - last edited 2023-05-21 15:20:50
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.5

I just bought and set-up a 3-set of DECO M5. It said that the "Guest network" has built-in client isolation.

Sorry, I can't find the "Hardware version".

My home network is 10.0.0.x/24. I set up the M5 as a router, and defined a guest network with 192.168.68.x/24

I don't see an option for switching Guest isolation on or off either in my phone application or in Web management.

But I can connect through RDP from my laptop 192.168.68.30 connected to the guest network to my PC on 10.0.0.10.

How do I enable guest isolation so my guest won't connect to my PC?

Many thanks. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DECO M5 Guest Isolation doesn't work-Solution
2023-05-21 13:36:09 - last edited 2023-05-21 15:20:50

@Al_Berko 

With the above network layout, as far as Main Deco concerned the network 10.0.0.x/24 is part of the Internet. You would want devices connected to Deco Guest Network be able to access Internet sites, don't you?

It will also be the same with any other brand of WiFi mesh or even if you get standalone router that offers Guest network and replace Main Deco with it.

To make it work the way you want, you'll need to connect PC to Deco Ethernet port instead of ISP Router Ethernet port. Your PC will get IP address from 192.168.68.* IP range.

In general, you can wire PC to any Deco you have, it does not necessarily have to be Main Deco. 

Also note that, by extension, anything which is wired or connected wirelessly to ISP Router is accessible by any device connected to Deco mesh. Including ISP Router itself, its management web pages, so make sure you have set strong password for ISP Router management web login.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:DECO M5 Guest Isolation doesn't work
2023-05-21 11:42:29

@Al_Berko 

Does this network diagram matches your network layout:

With PC connected to ISP router.

Options
Re:DECO M5 Guest Isolation doesn't work
2023-05-21 12:57:16

@Alexandre. Yes, exactly. 

Options
Re:DECO M5 Guest Isolation doesn't work-Solution
2023-05-21 13:36:09 - last edited 2023-05-21 15:20:50

@Al_Berko 

With the above network layout, as far as Main Deco concerned the network 10.0.0.x/24 is part of the Internet. You would want devices connected to Deco Guest Network be able to access Internet sites, don't you?

It will also be the same with any other brand of WiFi mesh or even if you get standalone router that offers Guest network and replace Main Deco with it.

To make it work the way you want, you'll need to connect PC to Deco Ethernet port instead of ISP Router Ethernet port. Your PC will get IP address from 192.168.68.* IP range.

In general, you can wire PC to any Deco you have, it does not necessarily have to be Main Deco. 

Also note that, by extension, anything which is wired or connected wirelessly to ISP Router is accessible by any device connected to Deco mesh. Including ISP Router itself, its management web pages, so make sure you have set strong password for ISP Router management web login.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 427

Replies: 3

Related Articles