MAC Filtering on Wireless Network - Allow login, but Show as Blocked

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-20 04:02:19 - last edited 2023-06-21 15:52:36
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi. I'm new here and new to the Omada Infrastructure.

On less complex routers, I was always able to block all new users from accessing the internet using MAC address filtering. However, the user was able to log on to the network, but they were shown as blocked (and were not allowed internet access). Then it was simply a matter of selecting the blocked user and enabling their MAC address.

I don't see a similar feature here. Essentially, for the Omada system, I would have to figure out the MAC address of every device beforehand and enter the MAC address manually for the user to be able to use the Wifi network. Perhaps the feature exists, but I am unable to find it?

Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:MAC Filtering on Wireless Network - Allow login, but Show as Blocked-Solution
2023-06-21 07:32:20 - last edited 2023-06-21 15:52:36

@UrOnline 

That's how the MAC filtering works. If you're not on the list, you have no access. Or vice versa.

You might want to take a look at the ticket system in the Guest Network or Guest Portal and Access Control in Authentication Portal. It's probably a better work around.

Configure Portal Auth 

May I ask what is the purpose of manually authorizing individual devices like this? It doesn't seem like a proper use of your time as a network admin.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:MAC Filtering on Wireless Network - Allow login, but Show as Blocked
2023-06-20 10:21:23

@UrOnline What version of Omada SDN are you on?

I can do this easily in Omada SDN in 5.9.31

Screenshot

Options
2023-06-20 13:50:10 - last edited 2023-06-20 13:50:55

@YuukiA I'm on 5.6.4.

I have that page, the problem is that it will block anyone from connecting if I don't FIRST enter their MAC address. I would like them to be able to connect, although not have access to internet until I choose their MAC address from a "blocked" list and accept them onto the network. Otherwise, I have to dig for the MAC address of every device and enter them manually.

Thank you.

Options
Re:MAC Filtering on Wireless Network - Allow login, but Show as Blocked-Solution
2023-06-21 07:32:20 - last edited 2023-06-21 15:52:36

@UrOnline 

That's how the MAC filtering works. If you're not on the list, you have no access. Or vice versa.

You might want to take a look at the ticket system in the Guest Network or Guest Portal and Access Control in Authentication Portal. It's probably a better work around.

Configure Portal Auth 

May I ask what is the purpose of manually authorizing individual devices like this? It doesn't seem like a proper use of your time as a network admin.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-21 15:52:21

@YuukiA Thank you for the follow up.

The purpose was to keep unauthorized people off of the internet. I know that this is not the most secure way to do it, but we are in a children's summer camp, and it was sufficient in the past. It was also the only basic way to do it, considering the older systems that we were using.

I guess I will look at Access Control and the Guest Portal. It's time to move forward with technology :)

Thanks for your input and advice.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 531

Replies: 4

Related Articles