OpenVPN and tplinkdns.com as Dynamic DNS on PPPOE dynamic IP issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-31 22:30:45
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20230616 rel.65817(4555)

Hello,

I have an issue with the router above.Everything works fine except the OpenVPN part due to my provider with PPPOE that changes the IP frequently.I generated a certificate and exported the configuration file but the configuration file is with the public IP that i have on the moment I do the Export.I have the DynamicDNS configured with tplinkdns.com and the device in Tp-link ID enrolled.

How can i generate a certificate that will use my tplinkdns.com as remote IP and not the WAN IP on the moment of export of the ovpn file so even if my IP changes the certificate will not have the peer validation failure and be able to connect.

Thanks,

Claudiu

Options
6 Reply
Re:OpenVPN and tplinkdns.com as Dynamic DNS on PPPOE dynamic IP issues
2023-07-31 23:20:55

@ClaudiuP 

Hi,

Apparently, the remote IP address is not encoded in the certificate. You can just edit the *.ovpn file using a text editor and change the line "remote ---.---.---.--- 1194" to "remote whatever.tplinkdns.com 1194". This has worked fine on my TP-Link router.

Options
2023-08-01 05:41:38

@woozle I tried that and its not working

Options
2023-08-01 05:49:16
Peer certificate validation failure is the error when I edit the OVPN
Options
2023-08-01 11:01:55

@ClaudiuP 

Hi, please refer to "Tip 3. How to tell whether my DDNS is working or not" in this guide: Troubleshooting Guide of DDNS function to confirm if the TP-Link DDNS function is working or not.

Normally if the DDNS is working fine, when we export the OpenVPN Server configuration file, the DDNS domain name will be included instead of the public IP address. 

So after you confirm the DDNS is working, please export the configuration file again and check if it is the domain name or IP address in the configuration file. If it is still the IP address, please email "support.forum@tp-link.com" and provide us with your DDNS settings page, OpenVPN Server settings page along with the OpenVPN Server configuration file.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-08-01 11:25:49

@Sunshine thanks for the tips,but its still not working.I've sent you all the required info via email.

Thanks,

Claudiu

Options
2023-08-02 01:55:32

@ClaudiuP 

Email received, we have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Please check your email box and confirm.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 721

Replies: 6

Related Articles