Common Application Scenarios of SFP+ Interface

2023-10-17 10:22:48 - last edited a week ago
Model: Archer BE800   Deco   Archer BE900  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

Great news! With the launch of the new Wi-Fi 7 products BE800, BE900 or Deco BE85, our home router products now support the high-speed SFP+ interface. This new interface allows for even faster and more reliable internet connections, providing an enhanced browsing and streaming experience for users.

Introduction of SFP+ Port

The SFP+ port is a high-speed optical-to-optical signal conversion port, mainly used for 10G Ethernet and Fiber Channel network applications. It offers several advantages, including hot-swappability, support for multiple transmission media and protocols, as well as flexibility and scalability. 

To establish connections and facilitate data transmission between different devices, the SFP+ port requires the use of either an SFP+ optical module or an SFP+ electrical port module. This ensures seamless compatibility and efficient data transmission across a wide range of devices.

Common Scenarios of using SFP+ Port on Routers

There are several common scenarios for using SFP+ ports on routers:

Scenario 1

High-Speed WAN Connectivity: Leveraging SFP+ Ports for Direct Fiber Optic Connection and High-Speed Internet Access

First, using as a WAN port, with a high-speed SFP+ ONU Stick, it directly replaces the optical modem and connects to the optical fiber network of the ISP to obtain a high-speed network, avoiding the limitation that the optical modem's Ethernet port is usually a Gigabit Ethernet.

a. For the safest replacement method, please contact the ISP directly to ask them to provide an officially verified SFP+ ONU Stick that can be used to replace the optical modem. Generally speaking, if it is an SFP+ ONU Stick directly provided by the ISP, we can connect it to the SFP+ interface of BE800/BE900 so that the router can replace the optical modem to independently complete the dial-up Internet access. Please also remember to switch the SFP+ interface to the WAN port on the router web page.

b. If you decide to purchase the SFP+ ONU Stick and replace the optical modem on your own, please note that we cannot guarantee its compatibility with your ISP's network and its ability to establish an internet connection. ISPs often impose verification restrictions on the optical module or optical modem equipment used with their fiber network.

To ensure uninterrupted internet access and compatibility, we recommend contacting your ISP and verifying the suitable SFP+ ONU Stick and any required verification information for your specific ISP and line.

Original topology with Fiber modem:

ISP Fiber=====>Fiber modem<==Ethernet cable==>(Ethernet WAN)BE800

New topology with SFP+ ONU stick(PON stick):

ISP Fiber===>(PON stick)BE800

PON stick is like this(PON stick is a miniature Fiber modem):

Scenario 2

Ethernet Conversion: Utilizing SFP+ Electrical Port Modules for WAN Connectivity with Ethernet Modems

Second, as a WAN port, you can also use the SFP+ electrical port module to convert to an Ethernet connection and connect to the Ethernet port of the modem through a network cable to achieve high-speed Internet access. In this case, our BE800/BE900 can omit the SFP+ electrical port module and directly use our Combo 10G Ethernet ports or other non-Combo 10G Ethernet ports.

Topology is like this:

ISP Fiber=====>Fiber modem<==Ethernet cable==>(RJ45 SPF+ Module)BE800

RJ45 SFP+ Module is like this:

Scenario 3

High-Speed LAN Communication: Enhancing Local Area Networks with SFP+ Optical and Electrical Port Modules for Fast LAN Communication

Third, as a LAN port, we can also use SFP+ optical modules and SFP+ electrical port modules to connect internal network devices, such as corresponding optical/electrical high-speed switches, servers, high-performance personal PCs and storage devices (such as NAS), etc., to achieve High-speed LAN communication.

Topology is like this:

BE800(Fiber SFP+ Module)<===Optical fiber===>(Fiber SFP+ Module)Switch

Fiber SFP+ Module is like this:

Scenario 4

Ethernet Backhaul EasyMesh Network: Creating a High-Speed Ethernet Backhaul Network by Connecting Multiple EasyMesh Routers through SFP+ Ports

Finally, as a LAN port, after BE800 and BE900 update to support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, we can connect multiple BE800/BE900 through SFP+ ports to form a high-speed Ethernet Backhaul EasyMesh network.

Topology is like this:

BE800(Fiber SFP+ Module)<===Optical fiber===>(Fiber SFP+ Module)BE800

Fiber SFP+ Module is like this:

QA

Q1: Does Fiber SFP+ Module like TL-SM5110-SR can work with Fiber line from ISP?

A: NO. The Fiber interface and Fiber type are different. Fiber lines from ISP can only connect to the Fiber modem or Fiber PON stick.

Fiber SFP+ Module like TL-SM5110-SR should be used in pairs and It doesn't have the modem function.

Q2: Does SFP+ DAC Module can work with Archer BE800/900 and AXE300?

A: NO. We cannot make sure how the DAC cable works with the Archer BE800/900 and AXE300.

It's mainly recommended to use the Optical SFP+ module or AOC cable.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

[Case Sharing]

Using the BE800 SFP+ port with PON Stick and ISP Fiber

Related Article

TL-SM5310-T, the first 10G BASE-T RJ45 SFP+ Module

Overview of TL-SM5110-SR

Overview of TL-SM5110-LR

Options
17 Reply
Re:Common Application Scenarios of SFP+ Interface
2023-12-18 16:04:07 - last edited 2023-12-21 18:10:39

The SFP+ interface in the new Wi-Fi 7 routers BE800 and BE900 offers versatile applications. Common scenarios include using it for High-Speed WAN Connectivity by replacing the optical modem with an SFP+ ONU Stick, Ethernet Conversion for WAN connectivity with Ethernet modems, from -(apkmyboy)- High-Speed LAN Communication by connecting internal devices with SFP+ modules, and creating a High-Speed Ethernet Backhaul EasyMesh Network by linking multiple routers through SFP+ ports. Compatibility with ISP requirements is crucial, and it's advised to consult the ISP for verified SFP+ ONU Sticks and ensure proper verification for uninterrupted internet access. For Ethernet Backhaul, it's recommended to use Optical SFP+ modules or AOC cables over DAC cables.

Options
2023-12-22 06:09:42

@Sunshine 

There needs to be support for 2.5G SFP speeds because most ISPs have Gigabit plans. There are many GPON/EPON SFP ONUs in the market which support 2.5 Gbps HiSGMII speeds.Such modules when inserted in BE800/BE900 are reduced to Gigabit speeds. While I am aware of debug firmware for BE800 which enables 2.5 Gbps SFP port speed, there is no such firmware for BE900. Is BE900 discontinued as it hasn't got a firmware update since 4 months and is missing MLO feature found in cheaper models.

Options
2023-12-25 02:07:50

@Mahapurush 

Hi, the 10Gbps SFP port is also compatible with 2.5Gbps SFP, may I know where you saw the debug firmware for BE800? Debug firmware is usually used to get debug logs to analyze the issue instead of a solution, so if you have any issue related to the SFP port on BE800/BE900, please let us know the model no. of your ONU and provide more details about your network and the issue.

Options
2023-12-25 03:00:05 - last edited 2023-12-25 03:01:59

BE900's SFP port is not compatble with 2.5G speeds. I have ODI DFP-34X-2C2 and Lulee SFP sticks which work at correct 2.5G speeds in SFP to ethernet media converter but are restricted to 1G speed in BE900. link to debug firmware for BE800 which adds 2.5G SFP speed support

Download here for BE800 debug firmware

Go to http://192.168.0.1/webpages/debug.html

combo_debug stop
combo_debug set plus
combo_debug ipg_set combo10g 1_192bit

I wish such firmware existed for BE900 too as it was supposed to be highest priced router.

Options
2023-12-25 03:25:45

@Mahapurush 

Hi, you have only BE900, no BE800 for testing, right?

May I have the firmware version of your BE900? I will forward your case to senior engineer for debugging and analysis if convenient.

Options
2023-12-25 03:58:27 - last edited 2023-12-25 04:00:57

@Sunshine 

Yes I only have 2 x BE900

I am using 1.1.2 firmware from your website THIS PAGE

1.The Easy Mesh does not mesh 5Ghz-2 and 6Ghz bands so I cannot even use mesh. I use 2nd BE900 in access point mode.

2. The firmware itself is 4 months old with no MLO support. Why is BE900 advertised as Wifi7 when it is missing a crucial Wifi7 feature like MLO?

3. No https certificate upload support. I sent an email to support and never got a reply.

4. SFP speed restricted to either 1Gbps or 10Gbps. No 2.5G support.

5. Cannot combine 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1, Ghz-2 and 6Ghz into one band rendering no support for Apple's Wifi6e devices. (Apple requires this)

6. No ethernet backhaul for Easy Mesh

(MLO support is there on cheaper BE800 and lower models though) So it really hurts to purchase these expensive pair of BE900s with missing basic features required in 2023-2024. The above features are present in competing router models of different brands.

Options
2023-12-27 08:32:31

@Mahapurush 

Hi, regarding the SFP port speed issue, we have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

For the other feature requests, we will record it and report to development team for evaluation.

By the way, based on this thread: EasyMesh Routers Support Building a EasyMesh Network via Ethernet Backhaul NOW, BE900 V1 has already supported Ethernet Backhaul, did you have a try?

Options
2023-12-27 09:44:10

@Sunshine 

I got an email reply from tp-link customer care that BE900 does not support Ethernet Backhaul "Yet" and they asked me to keep an eye on firmware update page.. which I am keeping an eye on since last 3 months.

Options
2023-12-28 01:17:46

Mahapurush wrote

@Sunshine 

I got an email reply from tp-link customer care that BE900 does not support Ethernet Backhaul "Yet" and they asked me to keep an eye on firmware update page.. which I am keeping an eye on since last 3 months.

@Mahapurush 

I just run a test and confirmed that Ethernet backhaul works on BE900, you could have a try when it is convenient for you.

Options
2023-12-29 04:13:57 - last edited 2023-12-29 04:20:37

@Sunshine 

I just updated to V1.1.3 firmware released for BE900

All the problems remain.

The ethernet backhaul link speed says 2.4Gbps. However, it is actually the link speed for 2x2 Wifi6/6e. So what is it? It should be 2.5Gbps. However, I get 200-300 Mbps speed when connected to node in easy mesh. If I leave the node as pure access point, I get 700-800 Mbps.

Also, easy mesh is completely busted with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz-1 are the only bands that form a mesh. The 5Ghz-2 and 6Ghz bands don't form easy mesh on the node and they appear as default TP-Link names with default security. It also creates a Hidden Network which is visible on Windows PC with Intel BE200 wifi 7 chip and also from a laptop having Qualcomm QCNCM865 wifi 7 chip.

I believe that TP-Link BE900 is not even a Wifi7 router at this moment. It is just a glorified Wifi6e device and overpriced at that. My iPad Pro M2 and iPhone 15 Pro Max can't even see 6Ghz band. However they see the 6Ghz band on BE800 and connect just fine.

SFP port still at 1G speed when a 2.5G SFP GPON stick is used.

4 months to update practically nothing. Makes me believe the theory that this BE900 is a lost cause and TP-Link has already moved on to newer hardware.

Options