2 networks with multiple Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-12 23:08:33
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Need some advice please. If I wanted to create 2 separate networks with a few Deco M5s, would that work? Or would they immediate recognise each other as a single mesh network? I think Option B won't work because there must be a single router attached to the modem and not 2 directly via a switch? Thanks 

Deco setup options

Options
2 Reply
Re:2 networks with multiple Deco M5
2023-12-13 02:28:17

@PurpleBonanza 

Hi, Welcome to the community.

Some modem might be a modem router-combo. So if your modem is also a router, the option B would work.

As for the option A, it should work in theory but it is not recommended though.

The LAN IP ranges of network 1 and 2 will be different. You need to create two Mesh networks separately on the Deco APP and both work into wireless router mode.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:2 networks with multiple Deco M5
2023-12-13 08:38:25

@David-TP  thank you for your response. The 'modem' is an Adtran 621 ONT provided by my ISP - Community Fibre (in London UK). Can't find any text that says if it has routing capabilities though. I guess it needs to be tested then to find out.

With option A. Would both sets of decos on network 1 and 2 be in router mode? I was thinking as network 1 is already connected to a higher up main deco then it would run in access point mode. While network 2 needs to be in router mode since it has the main deco connected to the modem. Is that wrong?

Would it also matter whether the 2 networks are setup and managed within the same tplink account/app or can it be under separate accounts?

Thanks 🙏

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 870

Replies: 2

Related Articles