Deco M4 - Ethernet Backhaul - Slow speeds on Satellite Decos

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-04 07:07:48
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello. I have 3 Deco M4s and want to create a Wired Backhaul Mesh network. My current setup is:

Internet Modem >> Router (Archer AX 10) >> Wired connected to all 3 Decos from the LAN Ports on the AX10 Router

Operating Mode: Access Mode

My main deco is getting the desired speed but the Satellite Decos are not getting the same speed. It seems the range from the Main Deco is causing the speed to drop (which usually happens in wireless mesh) but mine are wired. Shouldn't they get the same speeds?

The app also shows that the 2 Satellite Decos are ethernet connected to the Main Deco.

Please let me know what am I doing wrong. Thanks. 

Options
16 Reply
Re:Deco M4 - Ethernet Backhaul - Slow speeds on Satellite Decos
2024-01-04 12:57:34

@tanveer2137 

You should be getting the same speeds. 

What are actual speeds that you are getting, for each of Deco nodes?

Options
2024-01-04 13:09:48

@Alexandre. for the main deco I have 250-350 Mbps. 2nd Deco (closer to main deco): 200-250 Mbps and for the 3rd Deco which is the farthest away I get 85-90 Mbps.

The difference in speeds would have made sense if I didnt do wired backhaul. Not sure what the reason is. 

Options
2024-01-04 13:20:09 - last edited 2024-01-04 13:21:51

@tanveer2137 

Consistent 85-90Mbps from 3rd Deco hints strongly at that M4 negotiating 100Mbps speed over Ethernet cable instead of gigabit. If that is what happening, you should replace Ethernet cable.

To verify that theory, unplug Ethernet cable from 3rd Deco and see what happens next. If that M4 is close enough to other Deco units to establish WiFi backhaul, run multiple speed tests after 3rd Deco reconnected to Deco mesh and you see it in Deco app as online and with WiFi backhaul. 

With Satellite Deco on WiFi backhaul you should expect speed test results fluctuate substantially.

Options
2024-01-04 13:25:39

@Alexandre. when I unplug the ethernet from 3rd deco and move it closer to main deco it gives me the same speed as main deco on Router mode. 

I have the same cable type running for both the main and 2nd deco. I dont think cable is the problem but I am not 100% sure. Is it possible to be ethernet connected but the mesh is working as if it is in wifi backhaul? What would cause that?

Options
2024-01-04 13:27:26 - last edited 2024-01-04 13:27:53

@tanveer2137 

tanveer2137 wrote 

Internet Modem >> Router (Archer AX 10) >> Wired connected to all 3 Decos from the LAN Ports on the AX10 Router

Operating Mode: Access Mode

@Alexandre. when I unplug the ethernet from 3rd deco and move it closer to main deco it gives me the same speed as main deco on Router mode. 

Do you run Deco mesh in Router mode or in Access Point mode? 

Options
2024-01-04 14:24:07
In Access Point mode.
Options
2024-01-04 15:14:22 - last edited 2024-01-04 15:14:49

@tanveer2137 

Thanks for clarification. You saying "main deco on Router mode" made me confused a bit.

Help me help you by running tests the way I ask. Bring 3rd Deco to where it usually is, do not connect it to Ethernet cable. See if that M4 can connect to the rest of Deco mesh by WiFi and what speeds you'll get from that M4 after multiple speed tests. Also, how these speed test results fluctuate. 

The purpose of this test is the following: if 3rd Deco is not connected over the Ethernet, unplugging Ethernet cable from it will not change how it performs at that same location. It should connect to Deco mesh and you should be getting consistent 85-90Mbps speed test results from multiple speed test runs.

After I have results of that test, I'll ask you to run another test.

Options
2024-01-04 20:23:09

@Alexandre. Yes, you are right. I am getting the same speed when it is not connected to ethernet from the same location. 85-90 Mbps.

It does connect to the other decos via wifi mesh. 

Options
2024-01-04 21:19:03 - last edited 2024-01-08 13:43:00

@tanveer2137 

The next test I'd like you to do is the following:

Keep 3rd Satellite Deco disconnected from Ethernet cable. Power it off. Power off 2nd Satellite Deco.

Take Main Deco and bring it to where 3rd Satellite is. Connect Main Deco to the Ethernet cable 3rd Deco was connected. Power Main Deco on and run speed tests with it.

------------

The purpose of this is to test Ethernet cable that comes to 3rd Deco. Main Deco must have Ethernet link, so if cable is not working at all Main Deco will fail to connect and its LED will be red. If cable is working but only allows 100Mbps, you'll see it in speed tests.

It is important to have Satellite Deco powered off when you run that test with Main Deco. There is undocumented Deco mesh resilliency feature in AP mode: if Main Deco loses Internet connection, hardwired Satellite Deco will take over as temporary Main Deco.

Having Satellites on while testing Ethernet cable with Main Deco may skew the results. For that test Satellites must definitely be on.

-------------

If Main Deco delivers 250-350Mbps at 3rd Deco location, you can leave it there and move 3rd Deco to where Main Deco used to be. In AP mode it does not matter which hardwired Deco is Main Deco.

Redo speed tests in that new setup.

Options
2024-01-05 11:15:22
I did the test. Placed the main deco at the 3rd location and connected to the ethernet. Turned off the other decos. Getting the same speed as the 3rd deco 90-92 Mbps. Does this mean its the LAN cable at the 3rd location?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1707

Replies: 16

Related Articles