Router seems to block Deco M5 setup every time, then all Internet traffic is blocked!?

Router seems to block Deco M5 setup every time, then all Internet traffic is blocked!?

2024-02-18 16:12:42
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Firmware 1.7.3 Build 20230906 Rel. 59213

I have three Deco M5s. They have been working fine for years. The ISP (Telmex in Mexico) installed a new router (Ping Communications model 7962v1).

All my M5s suddenly have solid red lights. I successfully reset the Main M5 - it is physicaly plugged in with an Ethernet cable to the router (DHCP). It displays the flashing blue light - suggesting joy and world-wide harmony at last.

Because I reset the M5, I must create a new network. No problem, except: Before I click "go" on the new SSID & Password, everything I own can connect to the Internet. I click "OK" to enter the new SSID & Password in the M5 Main and suddenly the Internet is completely diabled for everything and the Deco cannot find the Internet nor complete its setup. 

I try to reboot the router, still no Internet. I try to log in to the router but it is blocked. Its Internet light is always on 24/7 through all of this. So I need to call the ISP (Telmex) to see inside and disbale some 'evil' settings. : )

Other than the admin password, any sugestions on what to ask the ISP (other than explain the problem)? Surely, someone has seen a similar problem? It feels like some kind of DMZ is on, but why would it block ALL Internet traffic, not just the offending device.

I have to wait a full day or two before, somehow, the Internet reurns with no action on my part. But the Deco still doesn't work after the Internet magically returns because the M5 Main has not completed it's set up.

I have done this three or four times now over two weeks. Mostly just waiting for the Router to do its job. What could the M5 setup be doing to force the Router to block everything!

A secondary problem is: Because the Internet connection is gone on site, I physically move all three devices to another building with a different router so I can try to continue set up with a working Internet connection. (The Main M5 is flashing blue, so I can get it going.) But I have two other M5 Decos that I have reset. On these two, I can only get a solid red light (after holding reset while powerin up), or a flashing green light (after connecting all 3 Decos together with Ethernet cables). Flashing green implies Firmware update, but I've tried several times now (restarts), and waited up to seven (7) hours for the firmware update to complete but it never does. I just have flashing green lights. Or solid red. How can I fix these misbehaving M5s?

Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope. ; )  [I have attached photos of the labels of all 4 products: three M5s & one Ping Communications router made in China.]

Options
3 Reply
Re:Router seems to block Deco M5 setup every time, then all Internet traffic is blocked!?
2024-02-19 06:19:53

@Naminanu 

Hi, Maybe we could start setting a different Deco M5 as the main Deco and connect it to one of the GE ports from Ping Communications model 7962v1.

You could still follow the APP setup guide first. (Please make sure the connection type is "Dynamic IP")

If the setup couldn't be completed or after the setup, it turned solid red again, please don't hurry and go to Deco APP>More>Internet connection. Then help me check what is the IPV4 address here, 0.0.0.0 or blank. It would be great if you could save a picture of this page for me.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Router seems to block Deco M5 setup every time, then all Internet traffic is blocked!?
2024-02-19 15:49:03

@Naminanu Thank for your reply! 

I cannot use the other two M5s as the Main Deco because I can never get a blue flashing light on either them. Only solid red, or blinking green (never blue). This is true at my house (working router & Internet), and at my friend's house (with no Internet via the Ping router).

I know the connection type is already Dynamic in the Deco App for this Network. yes So that is good.

After setup (at either location: my house or at my friend's house), the third & working M5, always has a green solid light. If I bring the devices to my house (not using the troublesome Ping router), the working M5 gets a valid IP address from my DHCP server. (Screen shot attached - but this is not the location where I need the 3 M5s working). 

If I return to my friend's house who owns these Decos, the "working" M5 mysteriously has a solid green light which suggests it has an Internet connection. Although it does not and cannot have an Internet connection because nothing can reach the Internet through the Ping router (which is blocking everything somehow yet curiously has a solid green Internet light on its front panel).

I cannot take a screen shot of the Main M5 using your Deco App at my friend's house, because it has no Internet conenction (despite the solid green light on the Main M5 & the Ping Router!). The Deco App always forces me to log in to my Deco account (which requires an Internet connection) before it shows me anything. This situation with the Ping router blocking all Internet means the Deco App always asks me to log in to my acount and always fails (over and over again) - because there is no Internet connection. Therefore, no screen shot is possible.

Thanks.

Options
2024-02-20 00:49:59

@Naminanu 

OK, I left these three M5s connected to the Internet at my place and after several hours, the blue light were suddenly flashing! Horray!

I suspect maybe you or someone found them and updated them for me. THANKS! I have all three set up. Now to solve the ISP problem with Telmex. Wish me luck.

You're work is done here - although I still wish I knew what type of setup protocol the M5s use that may have upset the Ping router enough to have it block all Internet traffic for days on end. But the world may never know (how may licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop -- old joke here). 

Have a great day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 150

Replies: 3

Related Articles