WDS working but router has no internet

2024-03-12 13:03:09 - last edited 2024-03-12 16:56:18
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.13.2

Hi,

I have 2 identical A8 Routers connected to my central router (ASUS AXE7800) to provide internet connectivity to different rooms in the house.

I am renting so I can't use wires but this has been working perfectly for me, providing 1 Gb/s+ wireless connectivity to my Desktop/PS/Shield etc.

I have only one problem with it and it is weird.

Although the router is providing internet connection via its LAN ports just fine, the router itself seems to have no internet whatsoever.

For example when I try to check for updates via the router web UI, I get the following error: 

Unable to check for updates. Make sure you are connected to the Internet and try again.

The network status shows:

WAN port is unplugged

Even the network map shows:

No Internet Connection

Something's wrong with the hardware connection. Please try the following:

• 1. Make sure the Ethernet cable is securely and properly connected to the Internet port.
  • 2. Try another Ethernet cable.
  • 3. Make sure the connected modem is securely and properly connected.
  • 4. If the problem persists, reboot or reset your router.

Is there any way to convince the router to use its own WDS connection for internet connectivity pertinent to the device itself?

Makes no sense that connected devices are working fine but the router itself is complaining that there is no internet connectivity.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WDS working but router has no internet-Solution
2024-03-12 15:52:59 - last edited 2024-03-12 16:56:18

@AR3000 

This is a known issue when using WDS feature of a wireless router - its WAN port is not used, hence "No Internet Connection" message.

If it's about the router FW updates you can alway install them manually.

If it's about NTP server refer to this thread.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:WDS working but router has no internet-Solution
2024-03-12 15:52:59 - last edited 2024-03-12 16:56:18

@AR3000 

This is a known issue when using WDS feature of a wireless router - its WAN port is not used, hence "No Internet Connection" message.

If it's about the router FW updates you can alway install them manually.

If it's about NTP server refer to this thread.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:WDS working but router has no internet
2024-03-12 16:16:17
Thanks - good to know that it is a known issue. Hope they have it on their radar.
Options
2024-03-12 16:28:12

@AR3000 

TBH, this issue has been know for years and I doubt that they'll change the way it's implemented.

What's more the range exteder mode (like in WR841N, Archer C54) is more reliable for extending a router wireless coverage.

Options
2024-03-12 16:40:25
I understand WDS is non-standard which is why intercompatibility is mostly touch and go, in that case range extender mode as you mentioned or Media Bridge mode (in Asus) are the way to go, indeed. The 2 devices you mentioned are only 10/100 though. Kind of contrdicts the reason I use WDS for, which is to have the connected devices run at almost gigabit speeds, compared to how they far if they were connecting to the main router via WIFI on their own.
Options
2024-03-12 16:50:55

@AR3000 

I get your point and it's where the RE line of products become handy.

Options
2024-03-12 16:56:30

@terziyski Thanks!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 6

Related Articles