Firewall Failover in AP mode - Deco X55

2024-04-09 19:54:26 - last edited 2024-04-09 20:29:18
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.1

Hello,

I currently have an X55 setup in router mode (with 2 more in mesh mode) signed into my ISP with PPPOE after FTTH has been converted to copper using a GPON module (XZ000-G3) and everything is working really well. Now I want some more control over the router/firewall of my network and looking at using an Intel N100 mini PC as my router running OpnSense with the X55 in AP mode. This should not be an issue, however I do not have a lot of faith in the mini PCs stability ( I am located in India and purchasing a quality PC is tough). To resolve this I would like to setup a firewall failover with my ISPs router. I have attached a drawing of what I am thinking of. Do you think this might work?

What will happen:

1. My firewall uses a UART controlled switch to keep my ISPs firewall OFF
  2. If my firewall goes down (power not ISP uplink)
    1. My firewall stops sending UART commands to keep my ISPs firewall OFF, therefore ISPs firewall turns on
  3. Since my firewall is off and my ISPs firewall is on, the Deco should automatically detect a new WAN connection on its second Eth port

Should this configuration work? I am concerned about splitting my fiber connection...

Or is there an easier way of doing this? Am I unnecessarily complicating things?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Edit: The idea behind this is, when I am not home (I travel a lot for work), I want my family members to still have access to the interwebs incase my primary firewall goes down for whatever reason without needing to have my family sign into the deco app and configure anything or even reach into my room and mess with wires.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Firewall Failover in AP mode - Deco X55
2024-04-10 11:59:02

@ayeeditya 

Hi, Thank you very much for the thoughtful details.

I'm afraid I can't help you decide whether this Firewall Failover works.

The tips I could provide are:

Deco doesn't support Dual WAN. So in any matter, there could only be one uplink connection to Deco X55.

If there are two, you need to put a load-balance router first in front of Deco to filter the wan connection.---How to use Deco with two ISPs?

Deco X55 here in AP mode performs similarly to a wired desktop with the mobile Hotspot enabled. I doubt it will have an effect on your Firewall Failover pattern.

Thanks again and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 237

Replies: 1

Related Articles