WPA3 Mixed signaling enabled when WPA27WPA1 requested

2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco X20-4G  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20231227 Rel. 68321

Is the authentication req from router side fxed. There was a lot of issues SONoff devices. TP-Link Deco X20-4G signals always WPA3 mixed mode with any other codech used in settings. This is confusing for many HW devices and all SONOff devices. When no security protocal used it is working fine. I have reported this issue 6 months ago but never got feedback if it is fixed or not.

Br Dean

Options
2 Reply
Re:WPA3 Mixed signaling enabled when WPA27WPA1 requested
a week ago

@Dean_B 

Hi, nice to see you again.

I came across a similar discussion earlier, and there is one answer that I found quite useful,

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Chromecast/Chromecast-4-0-can-t-connect-to-wifi-WPA2-WPA3-mixed/m-p/91448

Mixed Mode means both WPA2 and WPA3 capabilities are advertised out of the Access Point.  It means that both WPA2 and WPA3 clients are able to connect to the SSID.  Those clients which support WPA3 will use it, those which do not support WPA3 can still pick up on and connect using legacy WPA2.

Therefore it isn't relevant if the smart devices supports WPA3 or not.  In Mixed Mode,It should be able to connect using WPA2 as it always has.  A well-behaved wireless client will ignore capabilities and beacons that it does not understand.

Like in your case, the Sonoff devices should be ignoring WPA3 but apparently, they don't.

So I don't think this issue lies on Deco X20-4G.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:WPA3 Mixed signaling enabled when WPA27WPA1 requested
a week ago

@Dean_B 

Hi David! 

Thank you for your replay. What you are saying is correct, however only it should be like this for certain types of settings on your router. In my opininon you should signal WPA3ONLY when setting is requiring it. The way it is now you do it all the time. Only when "None" selected you don't do it and SONOFF device can pair through the router.. This is not logically correct!!!

Br DeanDeco settings

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 59

Replies: 2

Related Articles