TL-SG1016D no DHCP ?

TL-SG1016D no DHCP ?
TL-SG1016D no DHCP ?
2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: TL-SG1016D  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Unkown

Hi all !

I am experiencing a problem with my brand new TP-LINK TL-SG1016D switch : I put in a RJ45 cable with internet on it and it does not give them to the other client connected.

The IP provided to my computer is 168.254.251.136 so there is no DHCP server or the DHCP server is missing.

Did I buy the wrong switch ?

Thanks for your answer.

Vincent.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG1016D no DHCP ?-Solution

@Viniraptor 

In theory you should be able to do that. Is that the router you're using (cable gateway):

If your router is configured in bridge mode this could lead to this behaviour.

The other reason could be that you use wrong router port (use the yellow one) or bad cable between the router and the switch. 

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:TL-SG1016D no DHCP ?
2 weeks ago

@Viniraptor 

TL-SG1016D is a unmanaged 16 port switch  - it doesn't have a DHCP server. Usually the routers have a DHCP server.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@terziyski Many thanks ! So I couldn't use it behind a router.  I need an other device to share an internet connection.

Options

@Viniraptor 

Actually you can use the switch behind a router, but the DHCP server is on your router, not on the switch.

Describe your network topology and your router make and model.

Options

@terziyski I Have a router provided by my national internet (Vantiva HFC DOCSIS 3.1) in the basement.  I want to wire my upfloor so I buy the SG1016D to distribute the LAN.  I tought to connect the Tp_link directly to a RJ45 port of my router.  Should I force the IP adress on the computers ?

Options
Re:TL-SG1016D no DHCP ?-Solution

@Viniraptor 

In theory you should be able to do that. Is that the router you're using (cable gateway):

If your router is configured in bridge mode this could lead to this behaviour.

The other reason could be that you use wrong router port (use the yellow one) or bad cable between the router and the switch. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

@terziyski Thanks for the reply.

I have tested both port and cable by connecting an old 4 port switch on it with sucess.

The modem is in router mode.  When I connect the TPLINK, i see that the leds are blinking, but the computer can't acces to internet....  

Thanks for helping

Options
a week ago

@Viniraptor 

If an old switch works in place of TL-SG1016D, then something's wrong with the TL-SG1016D.

If that's the case better contact your retailer or your local support for assistance.

Options
a week ago

@terziyski Thank you for all the support !

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 8

Related Articles