Archer TX20E (AX1800 WIFI 6) Adapter not working correcxtly

2024-05-04 09:25:29
Model: Archer TX20E  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.20

Hello all! 

I have recently bought an Archer TX20E AX1800 WIFI 6 PCIE adapter. After using an older USB wifi adapter from TP link which kept cutting out. 

I have installed the adapter correctly into two different PCIE 4x on my b450 motherboard and have checked all the drivers etc. 

The device shows up as "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2" in device manager and my Bluetooth picks it up as an adapter. When I try to connect it/scan for a Bluetooth device it does not do anything. 

Further to this, the WIFI portion of this is non-existent. It shows up with both Networking and Bluetooth when i go into the adapter properties but it does not even think about connecting to a wifi device.

Slowly pulling my hair out and heavily considering returning this if it does not want to sort its life out!

Connected it as per instructions. PC is running windows 11 and is a custom built PC. Have built numerus PC's so definitely connected the device correctly. 

any help is appreciated. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer TX20E (AX1800 WIFI 6) Adapter not working correcxtly
2024-05-04 13:07:37

@Wheelsy-James 

Hi,

In case your motherboard also has an PCIE 1X slot, do you see a way of shuffling some cards around to free it up for the Archer TX20E?

I can't say anything about the Archer TX20E in particular, but I've come across another PCIE 1X network card that strangely would only work if inserted into a PCIE 1X slot.

Also make sure the Archer TX20E is fully inserted into the PCIE socket.

Options
2024-05-04 15:46:02

@woozle 

Thank you for your response! 

I ment to say that id tried it in two slots, a 1x and a 4x. 

I even tried taking my 4-port usb 3.0 pcie 1x card out to see if the issue was bandwidth based but it is sadly still the same issue. The card as a small cable at the back of the card which connects to a USB header, I tried both of my motherboards ports for this cable also and again still the same issue :( 

It happily shows up as a Bluetooth device in windows but it does not detect anything (checked with my phone and there are visible devices) And it just refuses to bring up anything to do with wifi. 

Options
2024-05-04 16:14:02

@Wheelsy-James 

The Wi-Fi part works via the PCIE bus, while the Bluetooth part works via the internal USB connection using the small cable. Both are separate devices in Windows.

So, in the Windows Device Manager you don't see any device showing up under "Unknown devices" and also under "Network adapters" you also don't see a new entry for a network card, right? (the TX20E would normally show up as something like "Realtek RTL8852BE WiFi 6 802.11ax PCIe Adapter" or perhaps even as some sort of "TP-Link Wireless adapter")

Anyway, if a device doesn't even show up in the Device Manager, then there is not really something that can be done. (other than switching PCIE sockets, which you have already done) 

Options
2024-05-04 16:29:30

@woozle 

The only thing showing up in device manager is the Bluetooth side of things, weirdly it shows under network devices but is the Bluetooth side. 

So I assume its bust? I may have to return it for something else. Its the first time ive ever had an issue with tp link!

Options
2024-05-04 16:54:24

@Wheelsy-James 

If you have another PC with different motherboard available, then it might be worthwhile to test it in that PC as well.

That should tell you whether the TX20E is actually broken or if it's just somehow incompatible with your B450 motherboard. If the latter was the case, then make sure you replace the TX20E with a Wi-Fi card that doesn't use a Realtek chip.

Options