Use deco's as WiFi Extender / LAN connection point

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hello,

My modem/router (in one) is currently in the basement.
The WiFi signal is not great because of that.

To improve the WiFi signal, the idea is to place a switch in the fuse box cover that is on the ground floor.
From the switch I would like to use:

• An ethernet cable from Switch to a Deco X50 in the living room

• An ethernet cable from Switch to a Deco X50 on my office on the first floor

• An ethernet cable from Switch to a Deco X50 in the attic
    (The red lines / ethernet cables below)

Would this setup be good/possible for WiFi improvement?
If this would be a good setup, I would also like to use ethernet cables from the Deco X50's to my desktop in the office, Xbox and tv in living room. Would this also be possible? (See the blue lines / ethernet cables below)

Network setup

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Use deco's as WiFi Extender / LAN connection point-Solution

@Napalmo0 

This setup is possible, both red and blue lines. It is good setup. 

For this to work properly, you'll need to have the following:

1. Turn off modem/router WiFi. Your Deco mesh will provide WiFi coverage over the house.

2. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

3. Networking switch must be compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. Unmanaged switch from TP-Link brand is recommended, but if you have switch already - testing its compatibility would not be hard. More about Ethernet backhaul and switches here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Use deco's as WiFi Extender / LAN connection point-Solution

@Napalmo0 

This setup is possible, both red and blue lines. It is good setup. 

For this to work properly, you'll need to have the following:

1. Turn off modem/router WiFi. Your Deco mesh will provide WiFi coverage over the house.

2. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

3. Networking switch must be compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul. Unmanaged switch from TP-Link brand is recommended, but if you have switch already - testing its compatibility would not be hard. More about Ethernet backhaul and switches here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Use deco's as WiFi Extender / LAN connection point
3 weeks ago
Great, thank you for your reply. When configuring the Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: will my devices automatically receive the WiFi signal from the closest Deco? For example, when I am at the ground floor, my phone uses the Deco on the ground floor, and when going to the first floor, will it automatically switch to the Deco on the first floor for best signal?
Options
3 weeks ago

Napalmo0 wrote

When configuring the Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: will my devices automatically receive the WiFi signal from the closest Deco? For example, when I am at the ground floor, my phone uses the Deco on the ground floor, and when going to the first floor, will it automatically switch to the Deco on the first floor for best signal?

@Napalmo0 

Don't be confused by TP-Link terminology: in Access Point mode all Deco units will still make single WiFi mesh with seamless device roaming between nodes.

Your phone will automatically switch to the nearest Deco, but it may not be instant. This is the same behavior as with any other WiFi mesh.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Alexandre. I read that the switch needs to have IEEE 1905.1

I ordered the TP-Link TL-SG105

In the specifications page of this switch I cannot find IEEE 1905.1

Will this switch be compatible with my setup or will I need another switch?

Options

@Napalmo0 

This switch should be compatible.

Reminder: your setup will only work with Deco in Access Point mode, I would suggest connecting Satellite Deco to the switch only after you configured Deco mesh to run in AP mode. Until then, keep Satellite Deco connected wirelessly to Main Deco (just put them in same room as Main Deco while you are doing initial Deco mesh setup and configuration).

You can see in Deco app if Satellite Deco uses Ethernet link for backhaul. Here is an example:

In case Satellite Deco can't use Ethernet backhaul, it'll use WiFi even if Deco is wired, and then in Deco app you'll see the following for that Satellite Deco:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 299

Replies: 5

Related Articles