Deco X50-POE powering up with Cat 5 but still using wireless

a week ago - last edited Monday
Model: Deco X50 - PoE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.5

Hi All,

I have full fibre internet that comes into my house and terminates at an FTU.  From the FTU, I have a network cable connected to a port on a Deco X50 in router mode.  I then have the X50 connected to a TP-Link TL-SG116P unmanaged switch.  From there I have Deco X50-POE (x4) connected.

Three of the X50-POE successfully receives power over the network cable, but are still connecting wirelessly for data which is obviously not what I want.  There is just a single solid green light on the port on the switch, so no data light.  The other unit seems to work perfectly.... it's very odd.

All other non-POE devices connected to the switch are working correctly for data.

I'm sure i'm missing something obvious.  If anyone has any thoughts?  Thanks....

Here is what it looks like in the app:

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X50-POE powering up with Cat 5 but still using wireless-Solution

@David-TP Thanks for the response.  I had tried switching ports on the switch between the ones that are connected via wireless and the one that is over network cable but no difference.  However, interestingly, I physically switched the Deco unit labelled Hallway with the one labelled Bedroom and it then showed the bedroom as wired and hallway as wireless.

So this points to the cabling, rather than the switch or the deco units I guess.  It's odd because the cable gives the units power.... I would have thought it would be "all or nothing" e.g. the Deco is either dead when connected or it has power and network.  I'm surprise 3 of my cables have an issue where power is delivered but network is not.

I think I will try and re-do the Cat 6 plugs as the next step unless you have any further wisdom!

Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Deco X50-POE powering up with Cat 5 but still using wireless
a week ago

@KBR034 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

I don't think you missed any configuration. Ethernet Backhaul should be established automatically.

Have you tried to unplug/plug the Ethernet cable back? or connect the Ethernet cable to the other POE port on the Deco X50-POE?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco X50-POE powering up with Cat 5 but still using wireless-Solution

@David-TP Thanks for the response.  I had tried switching ports on the switch between the ones that are connected via wireless and the one that is over network cable but no difference.  However, interestingly, I physically switched the Deco unit labelled Hallway with the one labelled Bedroom and it then showed the bedroom as wired and hallway as wireless.

So this points to the cabling, rather than the switch or the deco units I guess.  It's odd because the cable gives the units power.... I would have thought it would be "all or nothing" e.g. the Deco is either dead when connected or it has power and network.  I'm surprise 3 of my cables have an issue where power is delivered but network is not.

I think I will try and re-do the Cat 6 plugs as the next step unless you have any further wisdom!

Thanks.

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

@David-TP 

Hi David

I also have this issue. I have tried switching the port on the Deco as well as on my switch itself.

Even attempted resetting the Deco and adding it again with it still connecting via wifi.

Oddly enough though when on Router mode this is an issue 

but when it is in Access point mode it works via ethernet instead

Options
a week ago

@Nev_P Do you mean the satellite connects via Ethernet to the main Deco in AP mode, but via wifi in Router mode?

Could you describe the way your Deco devices and you ISP box are connected together?

Options
a week ago

@yves_b that is correct.

I have the a router from my ISP that connects to the ONT box. 

I connected a TP Link PoE Switch to the ISP router, then the 2 Deco units connect to the switch via ethernet cables. The Deco units are powered with the ethernet cables. I am not using the power adapters.

Options
Monday

@Nev_P 

Hi, Nice to see you again.

Is your network topology like:

ONT Box---ISP fiber gateway---TP-Link PoE Switch---2*Deco X50-POE

This topology only works in AP mode since under wireless router mode, only one Deco could be connected to the front ISP router/modem via an Ethernet cable.

If there are two, there might be a network loop and I think that is why the Ethernet Backhaul failed in router mode.

You could adjust the topology a little bit:

ONT Box---ISP fiber gateway---main Deco X50-POE---TP-Link PoE Switch---2nd Deco X50-POE

This layout should work in wireless router mode and the Ethernet Backhaul should be established as well.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

@David-TP 

Sorry for the very delayed reply, thank you for your response David.

I was looking through these forums and came accross this post below:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/631706?replyId=1264604

It gives the same recommendation that you have given, however I wanted to know if I were to use the following configuration if I would still have access to the VPN setting the Deco App offers with the X50-poe devices.

ONT Box >>> ISP Router >>> Deco M4 as Main Deco >>> TP Link PoE Switch >>> 1st & 2nd Deco X50 PoE.

I upgraded from Deco M4 setup. The article say the Main Deco does not need to be X50 but from that range - what are the other units that could be used in this type of scenario? Or will it have to be from the X range?

If possible to do it this way, would I still have access to the VPN settings? Or will I lose out to that due to the M4 being the main deco unit?

In AP mode I lose the VPN options as well as Parental control options..

Thanks for the guidance and assistance.

Options
Thursday

@Nev_P 

Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

Here are some information for your reference:

• Deco M4 could be set as the main Deco and Deco X50-POEs as the satellites. But M4 doesn't support VPN, so the Mesh system would not have VPN Server/Client feature.
  • Deco X50-POE doesn't support VPN either in Access Point mode.

For your case, the following topology is better:

ONT Box >>> ISP Router >>> Deco X50-POE(as Main Deco) >>> TP-Link PoE Switch >>> 2nd Deco X50 PoE.

\-----Deco M4

Set Deco X50-POE to wireless router mode, then both Ethernet Backhaul and VPN should work well.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 174

Replies: 8

Related Articles