EasyMesh Wi-Fi backhaul is preferred over Ethernet backhaul when routers are far from eachother

EasyMesh Wi-Fi backhaul is preferred over Ethernet backhaul when routers are far from eachother

2024-07-08 09:17:13 - last edited 2024-07-08 09:22:59
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer AX10(EU)_V1.20_1.3.9 Build 20230728

Hello. I know how the title sounds but bear with me please, I have tested this multiple times and had the same result every time. I have 4x AX10 routers connected between them with ethernet cables as shown in the picture (the black line is the cable and I also wrote the approximate distance between the routers):

#1 is the main router

#2, #3 and #4 are satellite routers

Until recently I had only routers #1, #2 and #3, all inside the house and everything was OK, they were always using ethernet backhaul for the EasyMesh. However, after adding the #4 router, the EasyMesh network started failing as follows:

• #4 is outside in the garden and is connected to #1 through a 50 meters long CAT5E cable, but when I start the #4 router it initializes using Wi-Fi backhaul directly with low signal connectivity (obviously since being very far) instead of it using Ethernet backhaul, so I get only ~50Mbps due to the Wi-Fi backhaul
  • if however I move the #4 router inside the house near router #1, when router #4 starts it initializes directly using the ethernet backhaul (Wired 1000Mbps EasyMesh connectivity shown in admin page) as expected, WHILE USING THE SAME 50 meters long cable, only difference being the routers are now next to each other
  • I even tried putting the #4 router next to the #2 router and connecting them using the same 50 meters cable and same thing: it uses the ethernet backhaul successfuly
  • when I move the router back outside and restart it, it once again initializes using Wi-Fi backhaul
  • The cable is NOT the problem, as mentioned I did multiple tests and I get ethernet backhaul with Wired 1000Mbps when the #4 router is nearby the other routers

A hack I discovered: when the #4 router is outside, far from the other routers, and I am on the Wi-Fi backhaul: if I press the WPS button on the #4 router, the #4 router switches to Ethernet backhaul successfully and shows me Wired 1000Mbps EasyMesh connectivity (this is probably due to the router Wi-Fi being shortly disconnected due to me pushing the WPS button so the Wi-Fi backhaul is cancelled ...???). However if/when the power goes out/comes back and the router restarts, it's back to Wi-Fi backhaul and have to manually press the WPS button again to get the Wired 1000Mbps.

Second problem: after adding this #4 router and doing the WPS hack to get Ethernet backhaul @ Wired 1000Mbps for the #4 router, now router #2 also started failing and switching to Wi-Fi backhaul with low signal (I can only assume it is trying to connect to router #4 - which is far away - using Wi-Fi backhaul for some unknown reason, even though it would be able to use Ethernet backhaul successfully):

If I were to guess I would say there is some logic fail somewhere in the backhaul selection in the firmware, something like "if Wi-Fi signal is low then use Wi-Fi backhaul" instead of "if Wi-Fi signal is strong then try to use Wi-Fi backhaul"...

How do I solve this problem?

Is there any way to COMPLETELY disable Wi-Fi backhaul? It's useless and just causes more problems. Some custom firmware? Or just give me the firmware source and I'll modify it myself to remove the useless Wi-Fi backhaul.

Options
15 Reply
Re:EasyMesh Wi-Fi backhaul is preferred over Ethernet backhaul when routers are far from eachother
2024-07-09 08:25:58

@JaniDraze 

Hi, thanks for posting question here.

May I confirm #4 router is connected to which LAN port on #1 main router?

And please share the screenshot to show the link speed of corresponding Ethernet port on web UI page of main router.

The firmware you shared is not the latest. Please update firmware of all routers on main router's web page, then check whether the issue you mentioned remains.

Options
Re:EasyMesh Wi-Fi backhaul is preferred over Ethernet backhaul when routers are far from eachother
2024-07-09 09:47:30 - last edited 2024-07-09 09:50:56

@Marvin_S right now router #4 is connected to LAN port #3 on main router

"And please share the screenshot to show the link speed of corresponding Ethernet port on web UI page of main router"

How exactly do I do this? If I go to Advanced > EasyMesh and click on router #4 I see this if it helps:

"The firmware you shared is not the latest. Please update firmware of all routers on main router's web page, then check whether the issue you mentioned remains."

Well, I just realized routers #1, #2, #3 are V1.20 and router #4 is V1.0. Initially I downloaded the V1.20 firmware "Archer AX10(EU)_V1.20_1.3.9 Build 20230728" (which is latest for V1.20) and put it on all routers. I now downloaded the V1.0 firmware "Archer AX10(EU)_V1_1.3.10 Build 20240130" and put it on router #4 but unfortunately same problem, when I start router #4 it's on Wi-Fi backhaul:

P.S. It seems that if I move the router even further away and behind more walls (so Wi-Fi signal is inexistent) it switches to Ethernet Backhaul @ 1000Mbps Wired as expected. 

Options
2024-07-09 13:54:45

@JaniDraze 

The FW versions for HW v1 and HW v1.20 should be the same - (Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28)

Update the three AX10 v1.20 to Archer AX10(EU)_V1.20_1.3.10 Build 20240130  from here and test again.

" It seems that if I move the router even further away and behind more walls (so Wi-Fi signal is inexistent) it switches to Ethernet Backhaul @ 1000Mbps Wired as expected. "

That's a known behaviour - when the two routers are outside of their wireless coverage the ethernet backhaul falls back to AP mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-07-09 17:06:55 - last edited 2024-07-09 17:09:34

@terziyski ugh, unfortunately the "Archer AX10(EU)_V1.20_1.3.10 Build 20240130" version is not available yet in my region (Romania), only in the Worldwide/English link you gave me, and I cannot use that version because the 3x V1.20 routers I have are on lease from my ISP and they aren't allowing me to upgrade to any other version except the ones available in our region for the exact hardware version, and in our region the latest firmware available for V1.20 is "Archer AX10(EU)_V1.20_1.3.9 Build 20230728"

angry

Options
2024-07-09 17:23:33

@JaniDraze 

It's your decision to do that or not. I can assure you that the FW you have on your routers is for the same region (EU) as the one that is on the Global English support portal.

You can compare the name and size of the FW release in you screenshot with these in the link I posted - they are all for (EU) region - it's just that v1.3.10 is not published yet on the Romanian support portal.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-07-09 17:53:24 - last edited 2024-07-09 17:55:33

@terziyski by not allowing me I mean they are literally not allowing me (the firmwares they are using on the leased routers are slightly modified and the Update firmware option is not at the complete free will of the user, even the current 1.3.9 version is modified too for them [i know I said I downloaded and installed 1.3.9 but I was just keeping the discussion short/free of unnecessary info]. I would do it if possible, but it's not. I contacted them and they will update it themselves as soon as they get the new version from TP Link official source).

It seems that currently I'm stuck until TP Link will publish it for my region.

Options
2024-07-09 18:06:40

@JaniDraze 

You already have v1.3.10 for HW v1 from the Romanian support portal.

If you open the global English support portal (the link I posted) you can see that Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg:V1.0=V1.6/V1.8);   Vx.x0=Vx.x6/Vx.x8 (eg:V1.20=V1.26/V1.28

Since the FW for HW v1 is the same for HW v1.20 you can use this same file (v1.3.10 for HW v1) from the Romanian support portal without violating any ISP policies - how about that ?

Options
2024-07-09 18:14:39

@terziyski I'm sorry I'll explain better: they removed the "Upgrade firmware" option where you upload your own downloaded firmware file. Instead they replaced it with "Upgrade to latest available firmware"(for your device). (the leased routers are running their own ISP-modified version of the official firmware). Since there is no official public 1.3.10 for V1.20, using the option "Upgrade to last available firmware" doesn't do anything. I can't manually upload 1.3.10 even if I wanted

Options
2024-07-09 18:30:10

@JaniDraze 

Well, in this case you should probably wait for your ISP help. I thought that you have a full controll of these devices based on your first post staement:

" Well, I just realized routers #1, #2, #3 are V1.20 and router #4 is V1.0. Initially I downloaded the V1.20 firmware "Archer AX10(EU)_V1.20_1.3.9 Build 20230728" (which is latest for V1.20) and put it on all routers. I now downloaded the V1.0 firmware "Archer AX10(EU)_V1_1.3.10 Build 20240130" and put it on router #4 ..."

Options
2024-07-10 11:39:23

@JaniDraze 

Hi, thanks for your update. 

According to your initial thread and this reply, it seems to be issue of your 50-meter cable.

When router #4 is connected to main router #1 via wireless backhaul, besides checking Link speed under Advanced > Easymesh, can you go to Network Map, click on the Router icon, slide down the page, and check "Ethernet Status"? Please share the screenshot.

As your router router #4 is connected to LAN3 port on main router #1, right? You may also see the difference of the status and link speed among different ports.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 745

Replies: 15

Related Articles